Post-transmission replacement vibrations - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdCase
  • 1 Post By JeepCares
  • 1 Post By Jurassic_Jeep
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Jaqdripper
Registered User
2017 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 65
Post-transmission replacement vibrations

Hi, all.

So about a year ago, the transmission in my 2017 Overland 4x4 had to be replaced with only 10,000 miles on it due to an internal failure. 10,000 miles since the replacement, and I have begun to notice a vibration felt through the throttle pedal at certain points in the rev band. It's especially noticeable in low gears with moderate to heavy throttle input, but can also be felt at soft throttle input from a start. To me it feels like one or both of the driveshafts are out of balance. It has nothing to do with wheel balance, tire rotation or alignment, as I've had all of those performed since the replacement.

Has anybody experienced something like this after having a replacement tranny? I'm going to bring it in to the dealer, but I thought I would get some suggestions from you all first as to what the mechanics should look at.

Thanks,

Rob


2017 Grand Cherokee Overland Granite Crystal, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Sound Group, Safety Group
Jaqdripper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 14,370
Perhaps one of the shaft or transmission mount bolts worked itself loose. There are flexible couplers that can go bad but usually at much higher mileage. You could have transmission shudder, a motor/transmission mount issue, or an engine with a slight misfire.
Jaqdripper likes this.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Jaqdripper
Registered User
2017 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Perhaps one of the shaft or transmission mount bolts worked itself loose. There are flexible couplers that can go bad but usually at much higher mileage. You could have transmission shudder, a motor/transmission mount issue, or an engine with a slight misfire.
Thanks for the tip, CC.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland Granite Crystal, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Sound Group, Safety Group
Jaqdripper is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2019, 09:46 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 5,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqdripper View Post
Hi, all.

So about a year ago, the transmission in my 2017 Overland 4x4 had to be replaced with only 10,000 miles on it due to an internal failure. 10,000 miles since the replacement, and I have begun to notice a vibration felt through the throttle pedal at certain points in the rev band. It's especially noticeable in low gears with moderate to heavy throttle input, but can also be felt at soft throttle input from a start. To me it feels like one or both of the driveshafts are out of balance. It has nothing to do with wheel balance, tire rotation or alignment, as I've had all of those performed since the replacement.

Has anybody experienced something like this after having a replacement tranny? I'm going to bring it in to the dealer, but I thought I would get some suggestions from you all first as to what the mechanics should look at.

Thanks,

Rob
Hi Jaqdripper,

Have you spoken with your dealership about this yet? If you would like, we can escalate a case for you so that a case manager can provide an extra layer of assistance. Feel free to send a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Jaqdripper likes this.
JeepCares is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Jurassic_Jeep
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 423
I've had something similar, but not exactly. After my second trans replacement, I've noticed a droning sound at high speeds ( over 105 km/h or 65 mph) with slight steering wheel vibration (left-right). You would think its the bearings (after ruling out balance/alignment), but those were also replaced (twice) thanks to a TSB that describes it. However, now they think its the tires, but even after rotating the noise is still coming from the front. At this point, i'm just waiting for it to get louder so it will be more obvious.
Jaqdripper likes this.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
Jurassic_Jeep is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Jaqdripper
Registered User
2017 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hi Jaqdripper,

Have you spoken with your dealership about this yet? If you would like, we can escalate a case for you so that a case manager can provide an extra layer of assistance. Feel free to send a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thank you, Kaitlin. Much appreciated. I will be traveling for the next few weeks and will contact you about this issue when I get back.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland Granite Crystal, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Sound Group, Safety Group
Jaqdripper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome