Pentastar Tick - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
GCTom

Pentastar Tick

New to the forum, so hello all. Just got my wife's 2011 GC Overland back from the dealer. The truck has 88K on the clock and the 3.6 L is ticking like a sewing machine from the left head. I thought we'd be getting a new head under the extended FC warranty, but nope. No warning lights or codes. Worst cylinder was at 18 on the leak-down test, so we're on our own. They wanted to tear the head apart on my dime and check the cam bearings, rockers and valves. I told them to forget it and we'll drive it like it is. Anyone else out there have this happen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2019, 04:41 AM
PwnCall

Garage
If you are under warranty that should cover this. If not you are on your own.

I feel like all the time the dealers try and scare people out of getting service done, saying things like,” if we don’t find a problem it’s your cost”. And other jargon. Gl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
GCTom

That's the thing. The extended warranty is only pertinent if you have the following:

NOTE: **This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.6L
engine (sales code ERB).**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further
investigation the Technician may find that any the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes
have been set:
• P0300- Multiple Cylinder Misfire
• P0302- Cylinder 2 Misfire
• P0304- Cylinder 4 Misfire
• P0306- Cylinder 6 Misfire
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the symptom/condition, proceed to the repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. **Perform a cylinder leakage test on cylinders 2, 4 and 6. Follow the detailed service
procedures available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 -
Engine, 3.6L> Diagnosis and Testing> Cylinder Leakage Test.**
2. Do any of the cylinders exhibit leakage of 25% or greater?
a. If Yes>>> Proceed to Step 3.
b. If No>>> This bulletin does not apply. Proceed with normal diagnostic procedures.
NOTE: **Record all cylinder leakage test results on the Repair Order.**
3. Replace the left cylinder head. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 - Engine, 3.6L> Cylinder Head>
Removal/Installation.

Since we have no trouble codes and the leakage test showed a high of 18% leakage on any cylinder on the left side, our problem isn't covered under the extended warranty. Even though the left head sounds like it's going to come through the hood. So if the junk Chrysler head cracks, it's covered. But if any of the various valve train parts take a dump in the same head in a 88k engine, we're on our own.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2019, 03:15 PM
emacca

I think also the tick can be a failing rocker arm, that can be due to inferior oil being used, service intervals not being maintained, where as the head issue is a failing of a valve seat

A decent mechanic can test cam lobes and check rocker arms without dismantling the head

That said the inlet manifold top half needs to be removed, and if the dealer did a leak down test they already did this, and with a visual inspection should have been able to determine the fault.

At this point replacing a worn component for the dealer should not be an issue, there should be no need to remove the head, unless of course the problem is a valve seat, in which case the warranty should apply

I guess with 24 rocker arms it’s possible to occasionally get a failed one.
And depending which one it is it may not be a big deal to replace

Maybe you need a good independent mechanic to have a look

Or get informed and go ask the dealer some hard questions
post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There was discussion of sewing machine noises here awhile ago, don't recall the resolution if any. If you don't find the discussion by the time I get back, I'll try to find them. The noises were not related to the extended warranty type failures.

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in