Overheat at Idle - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jurassic_Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
JackB1
2014 WK 

Overheat at Idle

It was about 50 degrees out and I had come back home and left my "new to me" 2014 WK 3.6 idling for a bit. The temperature gauge is normally exactly on the second mark up. This time however after idling for a few minutes it went up another 2 marks which caught my attention. Now before anyone says "do a search" I have done that and watched YouTube videos. Seems to be either the radiator fan not coming on or a bad thermostat. [anti freeze is fine]. Today I decided to let it idle a while [10 minutes] to see if I could get a repeat but the temp gauge did not go above the normal spot. I also put on the AC to test fan function and saw that the radiator fan was running.
So I am just looking for an opinion. Do you think this could be the beginning of a part failure or just an anomaly and I should do nothing unless things get worse?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2020, 07:10 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Probably normal, but thermostats can stick intermittently, so can relay contacts, and the water pump drawing in air. So can temperature sensors. Belts can slip that spin the water pump. There can be air in the system that causes the sensor to read high when its in a bubble. As with any intermittent, you may want to wait till it happens again. After all its normal for these to seem to run hotter than you expect.

So check the coolant level, keep an eye out for leaks. If its std cooling, the fan has two speeds and sometimes the second speed fails.

If it still has some kind of warranty from the seller, you may want to mention it to them.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 8 Old 03-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

if it goes up from above 1/4 to just below 1/2, then drops. Normal operation during idle. Its not a "dummy temperature gauge", it is actually reading the temperature. Stick your head out the window, you'll hear the fan kick in just before it hits half.
diverscale likes this.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-03-2020, 07:25 PM
diverscale

agreed, probably normal, gauge moves, and is higher at idle for my 2020
post #5 of 8 Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
It was about 50 degrees out and I had come back home and left my "new to me" 2014 WK 3.6 idling for a bit. The temperature gauge is normally exactly on the second mark up. This time however after idling for a few minutes it went up another 2 marks which caught my attention. Now before anyone says "do a search" I have done that and watched YouTube videos. Seems to be either the radiator fan not coming on or a bad thermostat. [anti freeze is fine]. Today I decided to let it idle a while [10 minutes] to see if I could get a repeat but the temp gauge did not go above the normal spot. I also put on the AC to test fan function and saw that the radiator fan was running.
So I am just looking for an opinion. Do you think this could be the beginning of a part failure or just an anomaly and I should do nothing unless things get worse?
@JackB1 ,
Thanks for sharing this here, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this trouble. If your concerns continue to become more prominent, we do recommend having your vehicle diagnosed by a certified dealer. If you decide to go this route, our team would be happy to assist you during your visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares
post #6 of 8 Old 03-05-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
JackB1
2014 WK 

Thank you. The frustrating part of this story is that I purchased a "Certified Dealer" vehicle and the 3 month warranty just expired. Hopefully it is within the normal operating range and will not become an expensive repair.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-07-2020, 04:13 PM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
It is is normal, and going up and down, the thermostat is going its job. If it is overheating or the temp goes down when driving, the water pump night need to be replaced.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2020, 09:58 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Thank you. The frustrating part of this story is that I purchased a "Certified Dealer" vehicle and the 3 month warranty just expired. Hopefully it is within the normal operating range and will not become an expensive repair.
We fully can understand your frustration! Please know that our team is always just a private message away.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in