Out-of-state factory order for CA resident Ė issues? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By ColdCase

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
lardo1

Out-of-state factory order for CA resident Ė issues?

I havenít yet found a 2018+ GC Trailhawk with the configuration I want, so Iím getting closer to a factory order.
Discussions with local dealerships for a factory order have been disappointing so far. I currently live in northern California (bay area) and I've contacted 4 local dealerships over the last two weeks (visiting 2 of them). Their responses:
  1. The Jeep manufacturing facilities are still closed and we are not taking factory orders (he wasnít interested to know theyíve been open for over a month...)
  2. One line response: ďWe donít discount special orders. I will do the build and send you info if you decide to move forward with this.Ē
  3. One line response offering a dealer discount of $980 off the MSRP (factory incentives at time-of-delivery would also apply).
  4. The last local dealership I contacted says theyíre still working on it.

Reminds me why I dislike bay area car dealerships so much.
Still a few others local dealerships I can try...

Based on ColdCaseís positive comments on the Dennis Dillon dealership, I contacted them.
By contrast, this dealership is great. Instead of a one line response, they emailed me a preview of the build configuration (pdf file) and asked me to verify its accuracy. Besides the detailed build configuration, the pdf file also included their price quote (much better and factory incentives at time-of-delivery would also apply). I felt like I was actually dealing with a real legit company!
Theyíre in Idaho, which could be a fun road trip, but downsides of possible PITA dealing with California with an out-of-state vehicle purchase, as well as traveling during these times.

I need to research how CA handles new out-of-state vehicle purchases by a CA resident (I know it used to be a PITA). I need to discuss this more with the Dillon folks as well, but if anyone has experienced this process Iíd appreciate any insights or recommendations!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 07:04 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo1 View Post
I need to research how CA handles new out-of-state vehicle purchases by a CA resident (I know it used to be a PITA). I need to discuss this more with the Dillon folks as well, but if anyone has experienced this process Iíd appreciate any insights or recommendations!
I live in PA. My last 5 cars I bought for me were bought out of state (all used). 3 in Ohio, 2 in Virginia. Every experience was as different as it can be. Plus I looked at a couple in New York.
With a new car (or some used cars) from a good dealership that does a lot of business, some will do it ALL for you, they will issue you drive away plates in their state, and handle all paperwork, title, plates and it will show up and you do nothing other then fasten it.
Others do basically nothing, you have to go to notary/title/messenger service, pay the state taxes, and wait. It seems that the price of the car doesn't matter, it is all if the dealership is used to it, and willing.
The only thing is, in PA we have state safety inspection, and if the paperwork gets delayed, you can't get it inspected until it is all complete.
SO, to sum up, ask them what their process is, odds are if they are a good volume dealer, they will know the process. If ordering, you may even have them put the order in for CA "market" if that is an option.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 AM
RedTrex
2014 WK 

Leveraging what I know from the JL/JT forums - Motor Inn Of Spirit Lake is giving 7% under invoice if you would consider going all the way to Idaho.

Talk to Travis at Tri-City CJD in North Carolina if you want to come all the way to the right coast for the easiest under invoice deals (7-8% under invoice)

Can hot link some threads if you are interested further LMK.....

2003 Libby 2x4 (Gone)
2004 Libby 4x4 (Gone)
2013 Wrangler JKU (Gone)
2014 WK2 Ecodiesel (485 tq)

post #4 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

what do you want that your local No. calif. dealer is unable to 'spec' ?

Always vehicles on the lot have more 'play' than a special order, this cuts both ways the dealer does not want to end up with a vehicle on lot that no one wants.
Think NO AC or manual trans in a Grand Cherokees.. examples.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
lardo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
SO, to sum up, ask them what their process is, odds are if they are a good volume dealer, they will know the process. If ordering, you may even have them put the order in for CA "market" if that is an option.
Thanks for the insights & recommendations. It will be interesting to see if there is an option for a ďCA marketĒ order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTrex View Post
Leveraging what I know from the JL/JT forums - Motor Inn Of Spirit Lake is giving 7% under invoice if you would consider going all the way to Idaho.

Talk to Travis at Tri-City CJD in North Carolina if you want to come all the way to the right coast for the easiest under invoice deals (7-8% under invoice)

Can hot link some threads if you are interested further LMK.....
No plans for a trip to the right coast this year, but thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
what do you want that your local No. calif. dealer is unable to 'spec' ?

Always vehicles on the lot have more 'play' than a special order, this cuts both ways the dealer does not want to end up with a vehicle on lot that no one wants.
Think NO AC or manual trans in a Grand Cherokees.. examples.
Yes, maybe my expectations are too high, based on a prior factory order I did 7 years ago.
Back then a Jeep dealership 50 miles away offered good discounts for factory orders. At the test drive, he just gave me the key fob and said to come back to his office after the drive. When my factory order arrived, he did the same, gave me the key fob and told me to check it out before taking delivery.
Unfortunately, he retired, and their new internet sale manager is the one who thinks the Jeep manufacturing facilities are still closed from their March shutdown...

When test driving at a local Jeep dealership a few weeks ago, they didnít allow driving on the freeway (freeway on-ramp is 2-blocks away from dealership). I persisted and got permission from their upper management...

Anyway, just a totally different experience this time.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 04:08 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Last week I was told that right now the factory is busy catching up on all the customer orders queued up over the past few months. They are not realy taking much in new orders, and dealers are reluctant because of model years uncertainties. Dunno how long the jam will take to clear up.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

lardo1 I understand, the dealers are the weak point in customer satisfaction- find a good easy to work with dealer and soon they are gone. The answers NO will always be much greater than YES.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 03:46 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

No dealer should charge extra for a special order. Iíve ordered all my vehicles since 1995 and got the same deal as if they had been sitting on the lot.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If the configuration you want happens to be a configuration they think they would't be able to sell if you back out and then they are stuck with, they start getting reluctant to deal. They also get nervous about specialty cars too. Seems that most manual transmission cars lay around the lot for months before being sold, for example.
2014RedHemiGC and jtec like this.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
If the configuration you want happens to be a configuration they think they would't be able to sell if you back out and then they are stuck with, they start getting reluctant to deal. They also get nervous about specialty cars too. Seems that most manual transmission cars lay around the lot for months before being sold, for example.
Yeah, in my case itís my insistence on no sunroofs and a specific color which usually means a special order. I guess my Jeep and Caddy dealers didnít consider those as detriments and were glad to get the business. Can certainly understand why they might balk at ordering one with a manual transmission and no A/C!

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
lardo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I understand, that makes perfect sense.

In my case, one local dealership has two GC Trailhawks with the same configuration I want, except I donít like their exterior colors. When buying new & paying the $$ of a new vehicle, I get picky about getting what I want, and thatís why I like factory orders. My factory order configuration is the same as what that dealership itself ordered, other than Iíd add Mopar rock rails and a different color (sting-gray).
That dealership said they wonít discount my factory order, while they offered me a $2k dealership discount (beyond factory incentives) for the Trailhawks on their lot. So, they would essentially charge me an extra $2k for a factory order...

Anyway, itís been pretty comical comparing 4 local bay area dealerships responses vs. Dennis Dillon to the same exact factory order price quote request.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in