Offroad Animal winch install notes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-08-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Offroad Animal winch install notes

So I got the hidden winch mount and front lower bumper from offroad animal. The instructions are pretty good but things don't fit as well as they could. First off having to move the power steering cooler was a challenge because I could not get the hoses out of the way as easily as it showed in the instructions. The first picture attached shows the cooler before moving it and the second picture is after moving it. The upper hose is attached to a hard line and factory crimped on. I had to bend the hard line straight up so it would clear the winch cradle. The guy I talked to from offroad animal said I should not have to do anything but disconnect the hoses at the cooler and extend them. Thats just not the case at least for me. More detail like a closeup of what they did would have been nice. Also they say to get heater hose. No way was I doing that. I bought a transmission cooler hose kit since the power steering fluid is basically transmission fluid. The other problem is that the inner factory frame bolts are junk. I ended up breaking one just tightening it by hand. So off to the hardware store for stronger bolts. Another issue was after assembling everything the winch cradle was slammed up against the a/c condenser. I could not even get the bolts in for the diagonal supports they were too long. I ended up taking a stack of 3 large fender washer and used them as spacers at all the frame bolts and it moved the winch mount forward enough. I was then able to use some short carriage bolts to secure the diagonal supports. All thats left is to clock the winch so the clutch handle faces down for access and to cut the bumper for the fairlead. Then I can install the offroad animal lower bumper. I will add more to this thread as I go. Feel free to ask any questions.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200703_132852028.jpg   IMG_20200708_181609110 (2).jpg  

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-08-2020, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

complete mount
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200708_181551580 (2).jpg  

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #3 of 15 Old 07-09-2020, 05:59 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
complete mount
I just wanted to say thanks for that picture. My passenger horn isn't working and I was wondering what it all looked like behind the grill and everything! Do you happen to have a better picture of the horn wiring connector?

post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2020, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Sorry I don't but each horn has a connector with 2 wires. I forget if the jeep horns are positive or negative trigger. Which means you could test the horns by either grounding the horn wire at the horn or putting 12 volts to it.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2

Last edited by metalhead; 07-09-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add content
post #5 of 15 Old 07-10-2020, 06:26 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Sorry I don't but each horn has a connector with 2 wires. I forget if the jeep horns are positive or negative trigger. Which means you could test the horns by either grounding the horn wire at the horn or putting 12 volts to it.
OK, thanks. I'd like to yank it off before I do a junk yard run, maybe other MOPARs will be a direct substitute. I see they are opposite rotation, so I also ***-u-me that if I get one that matches, it will be a different note than the other one...
Lame/Feeble horns are a pet peeve of mine, I don't want air horns that will wake the dead, but if I have to use it, I want it to be heard, and not have people looking around for a pinto that made the sound.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-19-2020, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Here are more pictures of the install. I went with a rough country 9500lb winch. Suprisingly there is a good bit of room behind the bumper cover. I think if offroad animal made different mounting brackets or included longer bolts and some spacers I would not of had to move the power steering cooler. I had to buy a second fairlead to double it up so it would stick out from the bumper a little. I also had to buy an extention harness for the remote because its not wireless. I made a bracket and I bolted it to 2 existing holes on the winch mounting bracket. The new lower bumper that I bought from offroad animal has a big hole in it so I can reach up and plug the remote in. The other problem with this winch is there was no way to rotate the clutch handle down to be able to reach up through the lower bumper to get to it. I contacted rough country and they never replied. So I found a handle from rocky road outfitters. I cut a hole in the top of the grill and the handle works perfectly. It will be a while before I can install the lower bumper because I am getting the bumper cover painted. The paint started peeling off of it a few months after I bought the jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200718_191217783 (2).jpg   IMG_20200718_191228854 (2).jpg  

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #7 of 15 Old 07-19-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Extended clutch handle
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200719_095540818_HDR (2).jpg   IMG_20200719_095516620_HDR (2).jpg  

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #8 of 15 Old 07-21-2020, 03:47 PM
mcgrated

Great pics and great share. I am getting ready to do that same to a 2020 overland. Where did you wire the wench to? Directly to the battery or the the jumper point in the engine bay?
post #9 of 15 Old 07-21-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

I wired it to the jumper points. It was easier to do than having to extend the battery leads and run them through the firewall to the battery. One of the winch install write ups I read suggested wiring to the jumper points. Plus the battery cables on the winch are not long enough to reach through the firewall to the battery.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #10 of 15 Old 07-30-2020, 09:15 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Thanks for this. Iím waiting for mine to get here. What size transmission hose did you get/will I need? I may hit up Loweís and try to do some spacers like you mentioned so I donít have to relocate the cooler. My only hesitation would be that I donít want the mount to flex under strain and damage the cooler if itís right up against it.

Also, if you havenít yet, let Luke know of the issues you had. They use a company for their shipping on the bumper, and likely for the other parts, as well. I donít know if that company is supposed to include the proper hardware or if it comes from ORA, but he needs to know in case something is wrong.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8
post #11 of 15 Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I wired it to the jumper points. It was easier to do than having to extend the battery leads and run them through the firewall to the battery. One of the winch install write ups I read suggested wiring to the jumper points. Plus the battery cables on the winch are not long enough to reach through the firewall to the battery.
Good way to start a fire.
The cables need to be connected to the battery, no exception
The last thing you want is a winch looking for a ground and starting yoir vehicle on fire.
Google winch fire

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #12 of 15 Old 07-31-2020, 06:08 AM
Jasonoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
The last thing you want is a winch looking for a ground and starting yoir vehicle on fire.
Google winch fire
Jumper points are a direct full gauge connection to the battery.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-31-2020, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Google winch fire
The jump points go directly to the battery with proper sized wire. Why would the winch be looking for a ground when its grounded to a good ground point?

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #14 of 15 Old 07-31-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post
Thanks for this. Iím waiting for mine to get here. What size transmission hose did you get/will I need? I may hit up Loweís and try to do some spacers like you mentioned so I donít have to relocate the cooler. My only hesitation would be that I donít want the mount to flex under strain and damage the cooler if itís right up against it.

Also, if you havenít yet, let Luke know of the issues you had. They use a company for their shipping on the bumper, and likely for the other parts, as well. I donít know if that company is supposed to include the proper hardware or if it comes from ORA, but he needs to know in case something is wrong.
I bought a transmission cooler install kit at the local advance auto store. It came with 4 feet of hose and some barbed splice fittings. Not sure about the size though 5/8 maybe. All I know is it fit. I was in contact with ORA while installing the mount. They said the cooler had to be moved because winches like the warn they recommend is a tight fit so everything had to be slammed up against the a/c condenser. There is so much room behind the bumper that I had to stack two fairleads together to get it to stick out of the hole cut in the bumper. I did write a review on the site but they would not post it. I gave it 3 stars for the modifications I had to make but did not say it was bad. I just thought that it could have been designed better. Another tip for you is the outer factory bolts that hold the metal bumper in place broke on me when tightening them up even though I was using hand tools to tighten them. I ended up replacing all 4 bolts. I actually would have liked to space out the winch mount more but I was at work when I was fixing it and only had thick fender washers on hand. I think you can move the winch mount out pretty far as long as the bolts are long enough. Or get longer bolts if necessary. I will post a few final pictures when I get my bumper back from the body shop. The paint was peeling off of it not long after I bought the jeep and when I cut the hole for the fairlead it took more of the paint off.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #15 of 15 Old 08-01-2020, 06:36 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Lightbulb

I just realized this wonít be an issue for me as mine has the electric steering. Iím still going to look into bolt & spacer options, though.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in