OEM Battery Replacement - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-13-2021, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
ferntree

2014 WK 

OEM Battery Replacement

Proactively, about to replace the original battery in the 2014 Eco - takes an H8.
Looks like I can get either Die Hard or Interstate - are they much of a muchness or is there a better quality one out there?

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Bilko

There are not many batteries manufacturers, the same batteries will be sold with different branding so it often comes down to looking for the best warranty.

Also, check out dealer pricing, depending on where you live their prices can be reasonable, just confirm they are going to use a genuine MOPAR battery if you are going to pay a few extra dollars.

The thing is the original batteries on most modern vehicles typically last for 5 to 10 years but once you change them for an aftermarket one they are only usually good for 3 or 4 years. You have to look at the cost difference and consider how long you plan to keep the vehicle.

I find the higher quality Autozone batteries are a pretty good option but they won't fit them for you in a WK2 because it's under the seat.
ferntree likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-13-2021, 12:56 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Advanced Auto also sell a pretty good battery, probably the same plant make both brands
diverscale likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 18 Old 10-13-2021, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
ferntree

2014 WK 

Looks like being a choice between an AGM style or the more traditional wet plate. Have an AGM in the truck and Maserati and they seem decent. I'm guessing the OEM is probably the older style, and whatever it is it has never been troubled in over seven years, even with -15 temperatures. Any idea who makes the OEM one?

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-13-2021, 05:34 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

All WK2s have AGM batteries OEM. Don't use anything else.
amg82, 99SK04GTX and ferntree like this.

post #6 of 18 Old 10-13-2021, 07:47 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

Advanced Auto now sells Die Hard which had a good reputation when sold by Sears. They will also install for free or at least did in my case. As Cold Case said AGM. Since you are being Pro Active check the Advance website and look for a 20% off deal. if purchased online and shipped to store you will be sure to get recent manufacture. Date should be checked wherever battery is purchased. Within 3-6 months is goal.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-13-2021, 07:58 PM
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

The O'Reilly Super Start AGM battery is manufactured by East Penn, PA. Put in my Jeep, perfect fit.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Advanced Auto now sells Die Hard which had a good reputation when sold by Sears. They will also install for free or at least did in my case. As Cold Case said AGM. Since you are being Pro Active check the Advance website and look for a 20% off deal. if purchased online and shipped to store you will be sure to get recent manufacture. Date should be checked wherever battery is purchased. Within 3-6 months is goal.
That's a really good point, any lead-acid battery, AGM or not does not like to be stored with a low charge, this can definitely impact the lifespan of the battery and all lead-acid batteries do have a degree of internal discharge even if they are not being used. It shouldn't be a problem with the H7 because they are used on many vehicles but the H8 is less common and as a result, may sit on the shelf for longer.

I'd love to know how a Super Start battery is different from other similar batteries, I suspect it is probably the Marketing guys just putting a brand and sticker on the same battery

Costco batteries also have a good reputation with a strong warranty, I just don't want to wait 3 hours to get a battery swapped. I don't know if it's only in my area but they won't sell you a battery for self-install, they have to install it.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-14-2021, 11:25 AM
peta8368

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Costco batteries also have a good reputation with a strong warranty, I just don't want to wait 3 hours to get a battery swapped. I don't know if it's only in my area but they won't sell you a battery for self-install, they have to install it.
In my area (Norwalk, CA), they have a few shelves of battery, and any member can come in and buy one off the shelf to take home. If you bring the old battery with you, you get your core deposit back immediately, otherwise you have to make a second trip for it. They don't require it to be installed by their technician.

Peter

2017 JGW Trailhawk, bone stock for now
post #10 of 18 Old 10-14-2021, 12:25 PM
Bilko

If I was still a member that would make it my go-to option. The Costcos near me are crazy busy and I haven't got the space to store big boxes of everything. I only signed up because they had the best deals on tires when I needed them but more recently the local Wheelworks/Bridgestone store has been offering the same deals and warranty coverage so I shop there.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-14-2021, 12:52 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

What's wrong with the original Mopar battery from the dealer? If you are changing your 2014 now, that's pretty good.

I still have my original in my 2014. How did you know it need replacing?

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-14-2021, 02:24 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its hard to tell with AGMs, one day there is plenty of power the next day little. So folks proactively change them about 7 years, just so they don't get stranded. If you can cope with a dead battery, then there is no need to change them until they die.

MOPAR batteries are very good. Prices vary but they seem to be a lot more money, hard to find in stock, and sometimes inconvenient to buy.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-15-2021, 01:59 PM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Jeep View Post
What's wrong with the original Mopar battery from the dealer? If you are changing your 2014 now, that's pretty good.
Nothing, if being tied to the dealer and having a shorter replacement warranty works for your needs.

If you want three years of free replacements, or to be able to replace a battery after 2pm on Saturday, or to swap out your battery in nowheresville, then you probably want a parts store battery.

Mopar kinda-sorta tries to address this with "free roadside assistance" on their $300 Premium batteries, but in my (pre-pandemic) experience the service area sucks and they do not reliably actually have batteries.

2014 WK2 Laredo 4x4 3.6L
2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L
post #14 of 18 Old 10-15-2021, 06:48 PM
Bilko

I repeat an extract from my previous post on this thread

The thing is the original batteries on most modern vehicles typically last for 5 to 10 years but once you change them for an aftermarket one they are only usually good for 3 or 4 years. You have to look at the cost difference and consider how long you plan to keep the vehicle.

If the dealer is fitting the same Mopar batteries as the new Vehicles I would be tempted to spend the extra dollars especially if you plan to keep the vehicle for a while or live out of town where a flat battery can be more than a minor inconvenience. I always have a jump starter in the trunk so go for cheaper options but the reality is the cheaper battery and the jump starter sum up to the same amount of dollars, I just like having options.

As Coldcase says these AGM batteries can be fine one day and dead the next day, that's why some owners swap them out before they die, but this is where the jump starter comes into play:-)
post #15 of 18 Old 10-17-2021, 11:50 AM
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
I'd love to know how a Super Start battery is different from other similar batteries, I suspect it is probably the Marketing guys just putting a brand and sticker on the same battery
I don't think there is much difference between the big 3 -- Stryten (formerly Exide), Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls) and East Penn DEKA. I have just found DEKA batteries (SuperStart is one) to be quality products.
Tarheel6521 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in