Not much of a winter vehicle - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 04:38 AM
MrBreeze

I have owned a lot of SUV's (Porsche, RR, Infiniti, Lexus) over the years, and they only get used in the winter (go in storage once the weather changes). None of them have come close to the 2014 Summit V8 I have now. I did pull the all seasons off right away (put on Nokian tires have always used them in winter with all SUV's) since I only care about winter performance. Granted I live in PA where winter is not what it is for some of you, but I have driven on the local roads before the plows could get to them with no problem. I am not one to believe anyone's hype so I do not drive like there is no snow on the road. For me it is about getting where I need to get to, whether that means if I to go into low range and drive at 25-30mph that is fine as long as I get there. So far I have always got there with no white knuckles and no that was close thoughts in my mind. None of my other SUV's have been this capable. I just bought my girlfriend a new MB GL550, I will be curious to see how that thing does this winter. For me at least I will be a Jeep customers as long as I live somewhere that winter exists.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 AM
kryogen
2011 WK 

The v8 with quadra drive and nokian tires goes anywhere you can go on tires.
It's not a snowmobile.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
post #48 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 AM
08rubie
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko426 View Post
In answer to this - a 2002 Liberty. Heated seats had to be turned off after a couple miles as they got too hot. Stock tires on that were Goodyear RSAs, which are said to be among the worst tires ever created. It was still better in the snow than this one.

I am fully aware that winter tires will be better than all-seasons. However, a sixty thousand dollar vehicle that touts itself as the top of the line should come with something that is at least marginally capable in snow; I've driven all-seasons that were.

The wipers freezing to the base of the windshield is with it set manually to defrost (switch on the panel, not auto, not mixed) and high fan. The black strip below the part of the windshield exposed to the interior never thaws out.

Yes, it has been to the dealer and everything was, "operating as designed". It is going back again next week. When - if - things get to where they won't be noticed by someone doing a trade-on appraisal this expensive mistake will become someone else's problem.
Sounds like a driver mod is needed since the 4wd system is far superior then the libertys
took a 6x6 tree cutter on 55inch hft tires to pull me out when i beached my stock wk2 in snow down a 2 track.

post #49 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
My '12 WRX had a heating element at the bottom of the windshield to deice the wipers, I really miss that feature. That car was less than $30k.

Heated seats suck on low but will burn your *** on high.

I hate the HVAC in the Jeep. Doesn't have a straight 'vent from the outside' mode, seems the compressor is always on if I want cooler air. When I have the heat on, the air coming out of the low vents is warm, but top vents is cold... Always have to keep it on manual to avoid the A/C compressor from running, but constantly have to adjust the temp. Air seems to either blow very cold or very hot, no middle ground.

Hey dcorn,

TSB 08-041-15 may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Front Heated Seats Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves updating the Heated Seat Module (HSM) and replacing both front
cushion, heater elements.
MODELS:
2013-2015 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013-2015 (WD) Dodge Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before August 22, 2014 (MDH
0822XX) equipped with Heated Front Seats (Sales Codes JPM) and WITHOUT
Ventilated Front Seats (Sales Codes CAJ).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience the heated seat feature may not control the temperature
properly. The seat temperature could either be too warm or cold.
post #50 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 11:05 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Sorry to hear that. We have a completely different view of our Overland. Would not swap it for anything up here in the NE. It spent two winters outside, including the "polar vortex" and never failed. Started every time. Did get rid of the Latitudes for a set of Cooper AT3's - huge improvement. This Jeep is worth its weight in gold IMO.
Hope you get your issues sorted out.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #51 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 11:50 AM
tucsonzj

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
Sorry to hear that. We have a completely different view of our Overland. Would not swap it for anything up here in the NE. It spent two winters outside, including the "polar vortex" and never failed. Started every time. Did get rid of the Latitudes for a set of Cooper AT3's - huge improvement. This Jeep is worth its weight in gold IMO.
Hope you get your issues sorted out.
side note, how'd the cape fair yesterday? Wasn't bad up here until the temp dropped to the mid 20's overnight and froze

His:00 TJ "Fiona" stuff/stuff/stuff
95 ZJ 3.5" w/242 swap-Sold
Hers: 15 JK Sahara-3" Teraflex
post #52 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

I have to agree on the tire choice, but I can see people not wanting to have dedicated winter tires due to cost, storage issues, etc. I do use them because I want the ultimate in winter safety. And where I live is a very hilly area, coastal region that gets icing most winters. So I have a set of General Altimax Arctic winter tires studded on WK steel wheels. The whole package was about a grand including the tpms sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep winter package.jpg  

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #53 of 57 Old 12-30-2015, 08:45 PM
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Every vehicle needs to be properly accessorized for winter. I'm not sure that's a design flaw, nor specific to Jeep. I get some pretty harsh winters way up here in Canada. My SRT, properly equipped, handles itself very well. Your summit should be even better.

1. buy a proper winter tire, ideally on a dedicated set of rims
2. get some good quality winter wipers - they stay soft and pliable when frozen, resist icing up - and good de-icing fluid
3. There's a TSB for the heated seat issue - speak to your dealer
4. There's a ton of HVAC TSBs and software updates - speak to your dealer

You'll be amazed, once you get that stuff sorted out. Sounds like it's all fairly easy to address.

89 XJ (Ltd): RE 3.5", full leafs, 3/4" coil spacers, RE monotubes, JKS Adj trac, tcase drop, OME steering stab., BFG AT 31x10.5xR15s on 15x8 3.75bs, Borla cat-back
14 WK2 SRT: DiabloSport catch can, Borla S-Type
post #54 of 57 Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
side note, how'd the cape fair yesterday? Wasn't bad up here until the temp dropped to the mid 20's overnight and froze
Still like summer here!!

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #55 of 57 Old 12-31-2015, 09:32 AM
JeepingNet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Once you own winter tires you'll never go back.. It would be hard for those of you living in areas that winter conditions are rare or not constant.. But I've got snow on the ground now and it will be there until April. So to me winter tires are a sound investment. They are on the Jeep for 5 months. That means my summer tires get about 40% less wear resulting in a few more seasons with them. This means winter tires actually cost me nothing to run in the longer term.

Colin Jennings
Trail - 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
Daily - 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L
post #56 of 57 Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 PM
JeepNJenn
2015 WK 

I would have to agree that it is rather insulting that they slap the "Trail Rated" badge on the Overland with ORA II and then put Latitudes on them. I just picked up my WK2 before Christmas and no snow for me yet. My last vehicle was a JKU and I put BFG K/M tires on them and realized the difference quality tires make. I will be replacing the Latitudes in the near future.

__________________________________________________ __________

2015 WK2 Overland ORA II
post #57 of 57 Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 PM
10Xk
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNJenn View Post
I would have to agree that it is rather insulting that they slap the "Trail Rated" badge on the Overland with ORA II and then put Latitudes on them.
It how they sell them, people want the thought of being able to off road knowing they never will. SUV is the new mini van, jeep is just trying to keep some manliness in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in