Not much of a winter vehicle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Gecko426

Not much of a winter vehicle

Going into the second winter with my '14 Summit diesel. The first one we didn't have much of a winter, but this morning we're having a righteous blizzard. The main reason I bought it was for winter driving, and I have to say - not impressed. At all.
* Tires are horrendous on packed snow, loose snow, and any combination of the two. They will get you moving in a straight line and that's about it.
* The base of the windshield NEVER thaws out, so the wipers are frozen to it each time they cycle, with more water running down there from the upper part and re-freezing. Then with ice under the blades they do not clear the glass.
* Heated seats might be noticeable after twenty minutes if you drove naked; with any clothing on it is impossible to say whether they are on.
* With 170 degree air coming out of the dash vents and the system on split level after twenty minutes the foot well is at 40 degrees (measured it) when it was 18 degrees outside. It stays that way, with cold air coming in ("fixed" by the dealer last year).

In all I'd describe it as a forty thousand dollar vehicle that listed for close to sixty. This will be my last Jeep and I've had one for twenty-five years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 AM
KYhillbilly
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Tires make the biggest difference with traction in snow, not sure what is on yours but most all season tires do not do well. As far as the other issues that has to be frustrating. My 4 runner has a heated strip at bottom of windshield to keep the wipers from freezing, my TJ does not and i understand i have to stop and smack the ice off the wipers every 30 minutes or so.
post #3 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 AM
goodburbon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Actually for a diesel it's pretty darn good. Starts right up at -10 without any plug in. Try that with any other diesel. As for tires the new BFG KO2 are great in snow and ice, whereas the Goodyear forteras that come on the WK2 are mediocre when brand new. Also, when on snow and ice switch to snow and ice mode, it makes a world of difference in traction control.

Feelin your pain on those wipers and that heated seat that turns itself off automatically, because, you know, your *** doesn't know when it's too warm. That's what a computer is for...

The headlights will also crust over with ice pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 07:24 AM
goodburbon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah, remote start.

post #5 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Gecko426

[QUOTE=goodburbon;33345626]Oh yeah, remote start.

Oh, that's another thing, remote start works, then it shuts off a second later with "Remote Start Disabled" in the message center. It's going in for that, a check engine light (catalyst?), computer reprogram recall notice, the transmission that jerks into first gear coming to a stop (feels like somebody hits you from behind), the cabin air leak, the cold seats, and the intermittent air suspension failure warning. The vehicle has 9460 miles on it.
post #6 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko426 View Post
Going into the second winter with my '14 Summit diesel. The first one we didn't have much of a winter, but this morning we're having a righteous blizzard. The main reason I bought it was for winter driving, and I have to say - not impressed. At all.
* Tires are horrendous on packed snow, loose snow, and any combination of the two. They will get you moving in a straight line and that's about it.
* The base of the windshield NEVER thaws out, so the wipers are frozen to it each time they cycle, with more water running down there from the upper part and re-freezing. Then with ice under the blades they do not clear the glass.
* Heated seats might be noticeable after twenty minutes if you drove naked; with any clothing on it is impossible to say whether they are on.
* With 170 degree air coming out of the dash vents and the system on split level after twenty minutes the foot well is at 40 degrees (measured it) when it was 18 degrees outside. It stays that way, with cold air coming in ("fixed" by the dealer last year).

In all I'd describe it as a forty thousand dollar vehicle that listed for close to sixty. This will be my last Jeep and I've had one for twenty-five years.
You have a 180 degree out of phase experience than most here.

The OEM tires are mileage type, poor traction. My 2011 with Blizzacks is unstoppable to about 14 inches of snow, more if I have momentum.

I never have issues with ice on the windshield, but then I typically use the defroster on high and bump the temp setting up a bit or so to avoid that. Something I learned in 45 years of hard winters. Auto mode is not going to work well for this.

My heated seats are nice and toasty after about 5 minutes, I use remote start and they and the steering wheel are toasty by the time I get in.

My heat is pretty evenly distributed, but there are times I need to bump up the fan (take it out of auto mode).

It is frustrating when you spend all than money and get one that doesn't seem to work right.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #7 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 08:28 AM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

In addition to what ColdCase mentions, I'm going to suggest that some of your issues point to things that might not be working correctly in your particular vehicle, including the seat heaters and the air distribution system. Have you had these items serviced?

And yea...the OEM tires are not winter/snow tires. Never were. Never will be.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #8 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 AM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Tires really make a difference. Ours came with Michelin Latitudes which were marginal at best. Switched to snowflake rated all season Nokian wrg3's and they've been unstoppable so far.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #9 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 AM
rebelbowtie

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your remote start is disabled because you have a CEL

He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
post #10 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 09:41 AM
mark090852

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
Tires really make a difference. Ours came with Michelin Latitudes which were marginal at best. Switched to snowflake rated all season Nokian wrg3's and they've been unstoppable so far.
I agree with this statement about tires. I put Bridgestone Blizzaks on my '14 Limited GC for the last two winters, and I think I could climb a tree with my GC if the tree was coated with snow. The difference is night and day compared to the Latitudes.
post #11 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM
windsorwk2

The stock tires are no good in winter even if they are brand new. This is my second winter with my wk2, and I am hoping the ko2 won't dissapoint me when the snow comes. Regarding the freezing wiper blades. I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions on what to do too.
post #12 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM
goodburbon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm totally with him on the wiper issue. I remote started twice on full defrost and then stopped at the first gas station, the wipers were still frozen in a block of ice that the defrost doesn't reach. The solution is to flip the wipers up when weather is coming, ghetto, but it works.

post #13 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 11:16 AM
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

traction is all about the tires. My wife's sienna on blizzaks does great and thats only frontWD

the other issues seem related to your heating system and electronics

my windshield and heated seats are great and we have had monster winters the last 2 years

I do wonder of the QT2 system is inferior to the QT1 in snow. I had a base 2011 with QT1 and stock 18" forteras that was great in the snow (not as good as my 14 lts with blizzaks but pretty good). My 14 ltd with stock mich did not inspire confidence
post #14 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 11:48 AM
windsorwk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodburbon View Post
I'm totally with him on the wiper issue. I remote started twice on full defrost and then stopped at the first gas station, the wipers were still frozen in a block of ice that the defrost doesn't reach. The solution is to flip the wipers up when weather is coming, ghetto, but it works.

That does work. But ice accumulates as I drive. Eventually, it can't the clean the windshield properly because there is too much ice.
post #15 of 57 Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM
shudog
2018 WK 

I've lived in Cleveland & Michigan - experienced alot of snow & ice and I'll reiterate what others have said - dedicated snow/winter tires are a huge upgrade over the standard all season tires. Nothing more to say on that.

The other items are frustrating for sure. I've had my windshield ice up too despite Full High Heat Defrost. Seat heater is modest but effective. footwell warms up good though. Last winter was brutal here. Didn't get out of the teens for about a month.

Previously owned jeeps:
'06 Grand Cherokee Limited w/4.7L V8 & QD2
'98 Grand Cherokee Limited w/5.2L V8 & Quadra Trac - sold at 230k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in