No adaptive headlamps on 2016 Summits and Srt... Really?? WHY? - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
maniac1181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St-Jean-sur-richelieu
Posts: 58
No adaptive headlamps on 2016 Summits and Srt... Really?? WHY?

Took delivery of a 2016 a few weeks ago to replace a 2015 that was basically a lemon... At time of ordering, only differences where add-ons... Dealership never advised of any features that would be missing...

Tonight I realized FCA removed adaptive headlamps from the 2016s... this baffles me. Does anyone know why they would do something like that? I do a lot of night driving on twisty roads during the summer and that feature was the main reason I got a summit instead of an Overland in 2015 and it never once crossed my mind that FCA would do something as stupid and dishonest as remove a feature from their flagship vehicle that can be had on a mazda 3 or just about any other car...

The feature is even displayed as standard on the MY16 brochure...

maniac1181 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 03:12 AM
tailingpermit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 40
That's crazy.

No problems with mine on the '15.
tailingpermit is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 06:59 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,720
Bummer, but that was reported on wk2jeeps.com and some other sites in the fine print. So its not as if they forgot it on the production line or ran out of parts. Probably something that couldn't be retrofitted.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
maniac1181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St-Jean-sur-richelieu
Posts: 58
My guess points more towards cost cutting because there doesn't seem to be anything different with the headlights. WK2jeep only updated recently with the fact that they had been deleted. I checked that site every week since October when I placed my order up until about mid March when the dealer told me the truck was on its way...

Anyhow, based on other website, I seem to not be the only one baffled by this and with the price range for the GC summit, I simply can't find an argument where the move makes sense other than cost cutting.
maniac1181 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 10:48 AM
el_vago32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac1181 View Post
My guess points more towards cost cutting because there doesn't seem to be anything different with the headlights. WK2jeep only updated recently with the fact that they had been deleted. I checked that site every week since October when I placed my order up until about mid March when the dealer told me the truck was on its way...

Anyhow, based on other website, I seem to not be the only one baffled by this and with the price range for the GC summit, I simply can't find an argument where the move makes sense other than cost cutting.
I'm not sure it'd make much of a difference in price, specially at the price range that Summits sell. For instance, I got the luxury package for my limited 75th anniversary and it "only" increased the MSRP by $2100; and besides adaptive headlamps, it also includes the panoramic sunroof, amplified 9 speakers and other little perks.
el_vago32 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
maniac1181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St-Jean-sur-richelieu
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_vago32 View Post
For instance, I got the luxury package for my limited 75th anniversary and it "only" increased the MSRP by $2100; and besides adaptive headlamps, it also includes the panoramic sunroof, amplified 9 speakers and other little perks.
I really see no other reason for them to remove that feature at the Summit's price point it's one of these features that simply SHOULD be there and it was there for MY14 and MY15.

Slight detail for you, you're not getting adaptive headlamps on your limited. You're getting self-leveling. Adaptive headlamps will turn (up to 15 degrees) with the steering wheel motion to better light up the road where you're going. For someone like me who does twisty road night time driving during the summer, it's a huge benefit and I noticed it was missing at my first experience of night driving with the truck.
maniac1181 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 01:58 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac1181 View Post
My guess points more towards cost cutting because there doesn't seem to be anything different with the headlights. WK2jeep only updated recently with the fact that they had been deleted. I checked that site every week since October when I placed my order up until about mid March when the dealer told me the truck was on its way...

Anyhow, based on other website, I seem to not be the only one baffled by this and with the price range for the GC summit, I simply can't find an argument where the move makes sense other than cost cutting.
I guess they were behind the power curve on this too. Things like this slip through the crack at times.

I dunno if this is the case, but in the past when they could not reach an agreement with a parts supplier in time for production, they just dropped the part after they ran out of stock (they do not keep much stock on hand). Otherwise they may have discovered a part defect while in production and removed the part.

Sometimes they will code the feature for late delivery (restricted) and the parts get added later in production, but 2016 is such a short run and maybe the 2016 adaptive stuff is not compatible with 2017 refreshes... so they just stopped buying adaptive headlight parts and installing them.

I don't think it had anything to do with cost unless one of the suppliers could not make the part for the price FCA wanted to pay... or FCA just didn't want to deal with correcting a defective part it in a short production run.

Just speculation and theories. I doubt it was something FCA planned from the start.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
maniac1181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St-Jean-sur-richelieu
Posts: 58
Yeah... At the same time they have to keep the parts so they can fix 2015s and 2014s... I don't know, as you say, it's all speculation until we never get a straight answer from them...

As a customer, it's a really frustrating experience and although I love this truck, it's the kind of stuff that makes me doubt I'll buy another vehicle from them again.
maniac1181 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 471
I think in this case, the MY16 headlamps will not be same as MY14/15 and perhaps they increased the lighting area for MY16 to compensate for that 15 degree variability. I find (or should I say oncoming traffic finds) the lighting system quite bright even when driving straight.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
Jurassic_Jeep is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 02:37 PM
tuq
Registered User
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 120
I had read about this somewhere recently, not a forum but some obscure comment section somewhere. Surprising. It seems like ColdCase has forgotten more about Jeeps than I'll ever know,1 so I'd prefer he be right about it being related to something like a supplier issue rather than a cost-cutting measure - as people seem to suspect about things like the removal of the flipper glass or single exhaust on the 2015s. His theory makes more sense anyway since adaptive headlamps were originally part of the marketing for 2016.

This is "good" news for me because it's yet another reason I'm planning to keep my 2015 for a few years. Resistance to change isn't always a bad thing...

2015 Summit: V6 / deep auburn pearlcoat / dark sienna brown & black interior / California edition
tuq is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 04-21-2016, 04:00 PM
LibGrandCher
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
I had read about this somewhere recently, not a forum but some obscure comment section somewhere. Surprising. It seems like ColdCase has forgotten more about Jeeps than I'll ever know,1 so I'd prefer he be right about it being related to something like a supplier issue rather than a cost-cutting measure - as people seem to suspect about things like the removal of the flipper glass or single exhaust on the 2015s. His theory makes more sense anyway since adaptive headlamps were originally part of the marketing for 2016.

This is "good" news for me because it's yet another reason I'm planning to keep my 2015 for a few years. Resistance to change isn't always a bad thing...
"ColdCase " is a freak of nature.




I had a loaner Summit, 2014.

The adaptive headlights are amazing.

Too bad it's gone.
LibGrandCher is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM
el_vago32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 41
Hah! Thanks for educating me on that, I thought it was kind of the same thing all along.
el_vago32 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 04-22-2016, 10:08 PM
MattXJ
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 335
Wow, I'd be really pissed. Especially if you have a MY16 brochure that lists it as standard.


I really love the adaptive lights in mine. This will definitely factor into my decision when I'm planning my upgrade to a MY17-18.

89 XJ (Ltd): RE 3.5", full leafs, 3/4" coil spacers, RE monotubes, JKS Adj trac, tcase drop, OME steering stab., BFG AT 31x10.5xR15s on 15x8 3.75bs, Borla cat-back
14 WK2 SRT: DiabloSport catch can, Borla S-Type
MattXJ is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 04-22-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
maniac1181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St-Jean-sur-richelieu
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
Wow, I'd be really pissed. Especially if you have a MY16 brochure that lists it as standard.


I really love the adaptive lights in mine. This will definitely factor into my decision when I'm planning my upgrade to a MY17-18.
Yeah, if you download the MY16 brochure from the jeep website you'll see them listed there. I can tell you I am pissed as hell!
maniac1181 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
maniac1181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St-Jean-sur-richelieu
Posts: 58
Well, I have brought myself to accept it by looking at pretty much every SUV on the market I consider acceptable (before you dole out in luxury brands, and even there) in the same class/price range and realizing that I have no option where I could switch vehicles and get adaptive headlamps... Is that what you call Boeing resigned?
maniac1181 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome