Negotiating a GC purchase - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Matt_H

Negotiating a GC purchase

I know there are other threads about buying a JGC, but my question is specific: is there a reality to car salespeople being more motivated to make a deal at the end of every month? If so, what is considered "end of the month? Last day? Last week? Second half of the month?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

if its a new car, yes timing has a major impact on price. Buying a MY 2019 in Dec 2019 or even Jan 2020, would be a lot cheaper had you bought it earlier.

If used, it really depends on the structure of the dealership (private or not) and would say anytime is a good time to buy a car. I'm sure there are internal performance indicators for sales people, but I don't think its universal. You just have to be persistent, they always want to sell a (used) car, and it might involve you walking away a few times.
w6pea likes this.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its the last day of the month or last day of the quarter, but you need to shop a couple days earlier to allow for paperwork and whatever. You have to take delivery before the end of the time period. Motivation depends on how close they are to the next bonus target. Far away, no additional motivation. Within a couple units, lots of motivation. At the end of the quarter, both month and quarter targets can add up to provide more motivation.

End of month/quarter discounts are set by the sales manager, salesmen can have a little personal money to play with but the big bucks come from the manager. Best deals are when both the manager and salesman are within a couple cars of a bonus level. Motivation is more prevalent with new cars as the factory supplies much the bonus money. Used car sales bonuses are entirely on the dealer's nickel.
w6pea and Fast55 like this.

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 02:47 PM
w6pea

2016 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I know there are other threads about buying a JGC, but my question is specific: is there a reality to car salespeople being more motivated to make a deal at the end of every month? If so, what is considered "end of the month? Last day? Last week? Second half of the month?

Thanks
One thing look for National incentives call Chrysler Mopar and look for the incentives, the phone number is
1-800-227-0757
Good Luck

"Without Trucks and Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

“I’ve never trusted a man who put cream or sugar in his coffee. Just like I never really trusted a man who put Coca-Cola in his bourbon.”
"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
post #5 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Matt_H

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know if end of quarter is this month for Chrysler/Jeep? I just ask because not all fiscal calendars are Jan-March/April-June/July-Sept/Oct-Dec.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 02:53 PM
w6pea

2016 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Anyone know if end of quarter is this month for Chrysler/Jeep? I just ask because not all fiscal calendars are Jan-March/April-June/July-Sept/Oct-Dec.
The current incentives expire 23Sep19.

"Without Trucks and Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

“I’ve never trusted a man who put cream or sugar in his coffee. Just like I never really trusted a man who put Coca-Cola in his bourbon.”
"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
post #7 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 05:09 PM
BarryB
2011 WK 

I think you are over-thinking it. Negotiate an out the door price you are comfy with.... the big thing on a used vehicle that you will never know, is what do they have in that vehicle? You don’t know what profit they have at any given price. They could be thin, or fat, based on trade in, price of vehicle traded on, profit on THAT vehicle, etc. MANY factors.

Negotiate a price that is reasonable based on market and what you want to pay, pay it, pay no more.

Out the door price, one number to deal with.

Good luck,
Barry
w6pea likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM
96GrandJeepers

At the end of last September 2018, I negotiated a brand new 2018 Grand Cherokee deal. It was the end of the month and quarter, Jeep also had various incentives available that were set to end on October 1st. I started looking for exactly what model and options I wanted in the Auto Trader about this time last September and set a distance up to 300 miles.

I contacted a few Jeep dealers by email and phone through their information in the Auto Trader website and on their own website. As I recall, I had 3 different dealers with competitive offers and it took me a little more than a week by phone and email to really zero in on which dealer seemed to be the best to work with. Then on Thursday, the 27th, I was negotiating final cost working with the sales manager and at the end of the conversation I told him I would make my final decision within the next day. The next day, Friday, the 28th, in the early afternoon he called me back and told me that he needed to sell 50+ new cars that weekend by end of day Monday, October 1st and he sweetened the deal to the point that I didn't even hesitate to say yes. It was 350 mile round trip over the Cascade Mountains to do this deal and worth it. This deal was all completed on September 30th. I think it is also worth noting that on Friday, the 28th, I did get phone calls from both of the other dealers who were now each offering a better price if it could be completed by the end of the weekend.

My best advice is ~ do your research, know exactly what you want, how far you are willing to travel for it and focus on the end of month, quarter and extra incentives.

2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
2018 Cherokee Latitude Plus
1996 Grand Cherokee Limited ~ Sold 12/2018
post #9 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 03:46 AM
Roadijeff

I also negotiated what I consider a pretty good deal on my GC HA near the end of September, 2018. I didn't plan my purchase based on that, it just worked out that way.

I had two dealers trying to outdo each other. The one I really wanted to buy it from, since they were located just 4 miles away, offered me $9,500 off the MSRP (the other dealer offered $9k off the sticker) and a decent trade-in price that was about $600 over what KBB said it was worth. He said the offer is for today only and no longer valid once I get up and leave. I reached across his desk, shook his hand and said, "You got a deal."
post #10 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I think you are over-thinking it. Negotiate an out the door price you are comfy with.... the big thing on a used vehicle that you will never know, is what do they have in that vehicle? You don’t know what profit they have at any given price. They could be thin, or fat, based on trade in, price of vehicle traded on, profit on THAT vehicle, etc. MANY factors.

Negotiate a price that is reasonable based on market and what you want to pay, pay it, pay no more.

Out the door price, one number to deal with.

Good luck,
Barry
I'm not talking a used vehicle.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadijeff View Post
I also negotiated what I consider a pretty good deal on my GC HA near the end of September, 2018. I didn't plan my purchase based on that, it just worked out that way.

I had two dealers trying to outdo each other. The one I really wanted to buy it from, since they were located just 4 miles away, offered me $9,500 off the MSRP (the other dealer offered $9k off the sticker) and a decent trade-in price that was about $600 over what KBB said it was worth. He said the offer is for today only and no longer valid once I get up and leave. I reached across his desk, shook his hand and said, "You got a deal."
I am in sales (just not car sales), and I have rarely seen that "no longer valid" line actually be true. If a customer comes back to take it, no sales person turns down the purchase unless it was truly based on a manufacturer's incentive program or some other contingent pot sweetener that the sales person cannot get at a later time (in my field when working across vendors, sometimes one vendor might have a program or and end-of-year inventory or incentive).
post #12 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

By the way, as far as timing, the end of period incentives only applies to delivered vehicles. My last purchase, I lucked onto a local dealer that was a couple cars short of a significant quarter sales number, and just agreeing to buy was not enough. The vehicle had to be sold, delivered, off their books. So you need to be prepared to buy. The timing saved me about $4000 out the door on a $40,000 vehicle over other dealers where the quarter was not that big a big deal.

Now days you don't look at MSRP, look at published invoice minus factory incentives as a start. Oh and add tax and title fees. No sales tax here so I keep forgetting most of you have to consider that

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
post #13 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 10:10 AM
BarryB
2011 WK 

Quote:
I'm not talking a used vehicle.
Then as I alluded, that makes it that much simpler. Out the door price, one number. Much easier to determine the market value and profit (estimated) on a new vehicle than a used vehicle. My statements still stand.

And, I'm not psychic. As far as I can tell, you never specified new or used, which is why I put that information in my response.

Barry
post #14 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

True but a little off topic The OPs question was not about negotiating, he claimed to be fully aware.... and there are several threads offering useful negotiating tips. The question was if the so called end of month/quarter discounts are really true and if there are any tips on timing.

post #15 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 01:01 PM
BarryB
2011 WK 

Agreed, but possibly helpful? Dunno. I can tell you to avoid similar back and forths in the future the easy solution is for me to not offer what I deem useful info and just solicit input when I require it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in