• 1 Post By 222Doc
  • 2 Post By magik235
  • 1 Post By Chirpz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
jim-80
2014 WK 

My towing experience - 2014 V6

OK so I thought I would just create a short thread with my towing experiences with my Jeep and camper in case it helps anyone looking for how this setup works. Short version is it works good but I wouldn't want to pull anything larger with it, or go across the country.

My Jeep is a 2014 Overland V6 with factory tow package. I got it used a year ago for the purposes of towing this new camper. I have made no modifications to the drivetrain. About 45K miles on the clock.

The camper is a 2019 Crossroads Zinger 18RK. Website says it's 3527 lb dry, the box is about 19 ft long and 9 ft high. Link if you're curious: https://www.crossroadsrv.com/product...rplans/zr18rk/

The RV dealer installed a weight distribution hitch (a must) which does a good job of distributing the tongue weight .. haha.

Overall the Jeep does fine. The biggest issue is because of the size of this camper it has a ton of wind resistance. If I am starting out from a stop it pulls no problem, it's when the speed gets up to around 60 it feels the drag. So I stay at 60 lol. Seems really slow and everyone passes me but I don't like to stress the Jeep too bad. Weight wise I think it is no problem. The towing limit is 6500 lb and I am probably at 4500 with all the crap. So just throwing this out there in case anyone wants to know how this combo works out.

Few pics:

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7934.jpg   IMG_7935.jpg   IMG_8005.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Bilko

Looks like a really nice setup. The wind resistance is going to be a big factor at higher speeds. Before I got deported to the US, I used to live in Europe where many people tow caravans aka travel trailers / RVs behind really small cars. You will often see them running a spoiler/deflector on the rear roof rail of the tow vehicle to direct the airflow over the trailer. Can you get anything like this in the US? It's worth looking into and would be cheaper than trading the V6 for a V8
post #3 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
jim-80
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Looks like a really nice setup. The wind resistance is going to be a big factor at higher speeds. Before I got deported to the US, I used to live in Europe where many people tow caravans aka travel trailers / RVs behind really small cars. You will often see them running a spoiler/deflector on the rear roof rail of the tow vehicle to direct the airflow over the trailer. Can you get anything like this in the US? It's worth looking into and would be cheaper than trading the V6 for a V8
Have not heard of anything like that. I did do a quick search for V8 models that I could afford and not many around. I think I'll stick with the V6 for now since we don't use it all that often. If that changes I might look into it but I love the car otherwise.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 03:12 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
the biggest issue if you can watch it is trans temps when towing. You do not want oil much over 200 long as tend to break down much faster. ideally about 170+- atf will last a long time. Towing its the trans that gets the work out really. Takes a lot of power to push that much air. as you go faster it becomes a wall. When i slide our camper in back of the Truck thats about 2600 loaded. Then the jeep and a trailer thats about 7500. Just the jeep i can tow at 80 like an arrow. Camper on. 65 70 on a flat is all i can do really with out getting it on and rolling coal.
jim-80 likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 10:33 PM
magik235

1971 CJ5 

Nice set up. Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Images

Chirpz and jim-80 like this.

1971 Jeep CJ5 - 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited - 2011 Jeep Overland 5.7 Hemi
post #6 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 11:17 PM
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
In March we had to trade in our beloved 07 CRD for a new 2021 WK2 with the V6 engine and factory towing. Since 08, we towed about 35,000 miles with the CRD. Now we tow with this V6.

The main difference is:
1. Consistent mileage. The CRD got 15-17 mpg no matter what. The V6 get 8-15 mpg, but I have not towed enough with it yet to really get a feel for the mileage. It really drops when towing against the wind or uphill. The CRD varied very little.

2. Awesome power. The CRD had awesome power. Accelerating uphill was easy. Since maximum torque was reached at about 1800 RPM, no obstacle bothered it. We towed up a steep mountain pass in Utah well over 9,000 feet. Wind was never a problem.

Nevertheless, we are beginning to like the new Jeep and our towing confidence in it is slowly growing. Unlike the CRD, we must slow down when going up steep hills or endure the high engine revs necessary to speed along.

We always tow at 60 or less for safety reasons. It matters not how fast you can go. What matters is how fast you can stop.

Here is a pix of our new rig on the journey home from our adventure in Nevada, where the CRD died.
I really appreciate hearing from other V6 gassers that tow.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer.jpg  
jim-80 likes this.

Chirpz
2021 WK2, 3.6L, Factory Towing Package, Electronic Trailer Brakes, Weathertech Mats, Dash Duck.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
jim-80
2014 WK 

What's a CRD ??
post #8 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 06:43 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-80 View Post
What's a CRD ??
Common Rail Diesel

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)
post #9 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
Common Rail Diesel
You cannot get the CRD in the USA anymore.... at least not in the new 2021 model GC's. They do make some Wrangler Diesels and maybe some other types to. The 07 had the Mercedes OM642 diesel engine in it. In the years we had driving it, we only came across 3 others. Two dealers we took it too had never seen one and that caused a stir. Imagine that!

My daughter has a 2014 WK2 and she has a diesel engine but not the Mercedes.... I think it is an Italian diesel... can't remember the brand.

It was fun to see the reaction that sometimes occurred at the gas station when you pull up and start pumping diesel into a Jeep. On more than one occasion, attendants ran out shouting and waving their arms.... I just played dumb and enjoyed the moment.

But this thread is about towing.... I just wanted to make a comparison. NOW I need to learn to tow using this new rig. It will be a change. We are heading out for another trip this weekend. I'm not looking forward to pulling up the long steep grade East of Pendleton. With the CRD I could roar up the grade passing all the semi slugs. Now I'll just have to get in line behind them.

Chirpz
2021 WK2, 3.6L, Factory Towing Package, Electronic Trailer Brakes, Weathertech Mats, Dash Duck.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
jim-80
2014 WK 

Yes, get in line in the slow lane! I will say though, that when you are one of the slowest, you don't have to worry about passing people. They just pass you... makes it kind of easy.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-05-2021, 05:44 PM
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-80 View Post
Yes, get in line in the slow lane! I will say though, that when you are one of the slowest, you don't have to worry about passing people. They just pass you... makes it kind of easy.
Yea, I guess I'll get used to it. I was referring to a 4 lane Hwy where passing is easy.

Chirpz
post #12 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 07:07 AM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

This is something I wanted to ask also. I think the 8 speeds can run a little hotter than your typical ATF trans and the 8 spds are programmed to stabilize at around 195 to 200 oF after you've driven it long enough. I've read you can push it to 220, but definitely you will shorten your oil change interval from the standard 100K (down from the original "fill for life" back in 2014).

What temperatures were you experiencing when towing, OP, during cruising and accelerating (normal and or hard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
the biggest issue if you can watch it is trans temps when towing. You do not want oil much over 200 long as tend to break down much faster. ideally about 170+- atf will last a long time. Towing its the trans that gets the work out really. Takes a lot of power to push that much air. as you go faster it becomes a wall. When i slide our camper in back of the Truck thats about 2600 loaded. Then the jeep and a trailer thats about 7500. Just the jeep i can tow at 80 like an arrow. Camper on. 65 70 on a flat is all i can do really with out getting it on and rolling coal.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
>>What temperatures were you experiencing when towing, OP, during cruising and accelerating (normal and or hard).

Unfortunately, I never really checked the tranny temp while towing. I had the gauge to do so. All I had to do was to turn it on but I never did. I NEVER got any temperature warnings though.

Chirpz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in