Moving up from WK to WK2 - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
CheapGuy
2019 WK 

Moving up from WK to WK2

My 2009 WK has been a great vehicle but itís time to move on soon. Itís been trouble free but I have the 4.7 and itís pretty bad on gas and Iím hoping the WK2 handles a little better on road. For you folks that have made a similar move - WK to WK2 - what are your opinions and the biggest differences between the two? Iím looking at a possibly a 2018 and definitely V6 this time.

2019 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L, Quadra-Trac II, Diamond Black, Luxury Group 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 05:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its a much better vehicle all around, in all areas, although the 2009 may be more modifiable for off road. One doesn't buy a Jeep and expect great mpg. The V6 should get you 16-25mpg depending on how you drive. The V8 maybe a mpg less, it does better out in the open highway, but around town not so much. If you intend to tow, find one with a tow package, you can't retrofit HD cooling. If you don't like or want halogens, get one with the HID lighting upgrade as those are difficult to retrofit.

There is no "practical" reason to buy a newer model V8 unless you tow, spend a lot of time cruising 80mph highways, or want a slightly more durable and easy to work on engine.

Check out the buying a used WK2 thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...d-wk2-4376453/
Armor_LG and diverscale like this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 06:52 AM
WK2Overland4X4

I think the WK2 is many hundred pounds heavier, basically a WK Commander in size. The 3.6 with 8sp would probably seem like a jump up from the 4.7 with only the H.O. versions having more power. Also the 3.6 would be better on gas due to all the newer tech in it, and the 8sp helps a lot as well.
But again, the WK2 is a bigger Jeep. For example, the 6.1 SRT8 WK is quicker than the 6.4 SRT WK2 even though the 6.4 is rated at 50 hp more, but the WK2 SRT is 500 pounds heavier. (this is all from memory, might be off a bit)
My 2012 5.7 with older 6sp Overland is a pig around town (12-13), stop and go up and down hills, a bit worse than my 392 Challenger! (but cheaper gas, and about even money wise)
On the highway, 21 is about it for me, it might eek out 23ish on the flat at moderate speeds. The 8sp and 3.6 will help out all of that.
From a 2009 to a 2018 will seem like a 20 year jump with all the tech changes, and the actual WK2 changes. Heck, from a 2013 to a 2015 seems like 10 years newer from the drivers seat.

2021 Summit L 4X4 Bright White/Steel Gray, 3.6 , ProTech IV, Lux Tech V.

post #4 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
CheapGuy
2019 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Its a much better vehicle all around, in all areas, although the 2009 may be more modifiable for off road. One doesn't buy a Jeep and expect great mpg. The V6 should get you 16-25mpg depending on how you drive. The V8 maybe a mpg less, it does better out in the open highway, but around town not so much. If you intend to tow, find one with a tow package, you can't retrofit HD cooling. If you don't like or want halogens, get one with the HID lighting upgrade as those are difficult to retrofit.

There is no "practical" reason to buy a newer model V8 unless you tow, spend a lot of time cruising 80mph highways, or want a slightly more durable and easy to work on engine.

Check out the buying a used WK2 thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...d-wk2-4376453/
Thanks for the info. Yup, not expecting great gas mileage but with my 4.7 I barely get 19 mpg on the freeway - I think the WK2 V6 get a bit better than that. And I definitely want the tow package even though I don't tow much or anything really heavy. For some reason, tow packages are pretty rare in the WK2 from what I've seen on the various car seller sites. BTW, as with most used cars, prices are sky high right now - right around the $35k range for 2018 the way I want it.

post #5 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 11:47 AM
diverscale

you can get north of 24mpg with the V6 on the freeway, so it would be an ''upgrade'' on this question. Got better than that on very long drives at 75mph during summer.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 01:49 PM
PwnCall

Garage
The wk feels more like an off road vehicle, more crude and utilitarian. The wk2 feels much more refined.

I’ve driven all the generations of grand Cherokee and the wk is my favorite.

The wk2 is far more luxurious and comfier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 01:56 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

We upgraded from a WK with the 4.7 HO that couldnít get over 17 mpg on its best day to a Ď14 WK2 with the V8 that easily gets 23 mpg on the highway and is much more powerful. The 8 speed ZF and taller (3.09 vs 3.73) gearing made a big difference!

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #8 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 02:04 PM
Bilko

Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapGuy View Post
Thanks for the info. Yup, not expecting great gas mileage but with my 4.7 I barely get 19 mpg on the freeway - I think the WK2 V6 get a bit better than that. And I definitely want the tow package even though I don't tow much or anything really heavy. For some reason, tow packages are pretty rare in the WK2 from what I've seen on the various car seller sites. BTW, as with most used cars, prices are sky high right now - right around the $35k range for 2018 the way I want it.
Are you sure about the Tow Package option? Many of the higher-spec WK2s include this as standard so it may not be listed in the options. Even if you only need it occasionally it's worth finding a vehicle with the tow package because it doesn't usually affect the price but if you decide you want it later it's going to run you at least $600 and this will only get you the tow bar and wiring and not the full Tow Package.

In terms of current pricing, this is not a good time to buy a used car, you may be better off looking to buy or lease a new vehicle or hold off for a while. Even new vehicles are in short supply due to the global semiconductor shortage. Jeep are offering some 4th July deals but I am not sure how good they are.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 02:07 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

I upgraded from the 08 WK Laredo to the 14 WK2 Limited both 6s and the difference all around was impressive including gas mileage as mentioned above. The 08 did feel more like an off road vehicle but that may have been because I now have all the Limited features. The size difference is noticeable in larger WK2. I believe this was one of the last years when Mercedes was influential in some aspects like transmission but not completely sure. I also do not have one feature in the 14 that comes with later years for which I am thankful....Start/Stop.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
CheapGuy
2019 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Are you sure about the Tow Package option? Many of the higher-spec WK2s include this as standard so it may not be listed in the options. Even if you only need it occasionally it's worth finding a vehicle with the tow package because it doesn't usually affect the price but if you decide you want it later it's going to run you at least $600 and this will only get you the tow bar and wiring and not the full Tow Package.

In terms of current pricing, this is not a good time to buy a used car, you may be better off looking to buy or lease a new vehicle or hold off for a while. Even new vehicles are in short supply due to the global semiconductor shortage. Jeep are offering some 4th July deals but I am not sure how good they are.
Thanks! You were absolutely right - the only way to know for sure if it actually has a hitch/tow package is to look at the actual picture. A lot more popped up in my price range when I did a new search.

post #11 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 05:49 PM
sabre364
2007 WK 

2007 to 2020 WK2 North here. Love it. Vast change in refinement. Still like the WK though.
Jeffs3232 likes this.

2007 WK Laredo 4x4
2020 WK2 Laredo North 4x4
post #12 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 06:23 PM
Bilko

The WK was developed in the previous century and was a great car because it wasn't controlled by computers so a regular guy could easily fix most things. On the other hand, the WK2 is much more refined in terms of smoothness, road noise, and on-road handling. I know people do off-road and overland in these Vehicles but I can't bring myself to trash such a nice vehicle, I do dirt roads and fire roads but I wouldn't do the Rubicon in a WK2.... unless it was rental with full insurance.

As JackB1 states the WK2 is essentially a US-styled version of the Mercedes ML/GL series, remember Daimler owned Chrysler at the time the WK2 was developed so the foundations are solid. All the structural parts, suspension, brakes, and Transmission plus the 4WD Systems are Mercedes, ZF/Magna Power. Jeep is migrating to FCA Platforms for the 2022 Grand Cherokee but Mercedes is still using the same platform on their current and future vehicles so it is still relevant.
99SK04GTX likes this.
post #13 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 08:37 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

I went from a 2007 4.7 Laredo to the 2019 Trailhawk. The WK2 is longer wider and taller.

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #14 of 36 Old 06-29-2021, 09:25 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
... All the structural parts, suspension, brakes, and Transmission plus the 4WD Systems are Mercedes, ZF/Magna Power. Jeep is migrating to FCA Platforms for the 2022 Grand Cherokee but Mercedes is still using the same platform on their current and future vehicles so it is still relevant.
Jeep has been part of Sellantis for awhile now, along with the Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, CitroŽn, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Mopar, Opel, Peugeot, Ram and Vauxhall brands.... man have I had a lot of those... The FCA/PSA merger resulted in the #6 car maker in the world. Technically FCA no longer exists.

Yes the WK2 is a styled ML/GL (a joint development) with Jeep/Chrysler corporate, not ZF, drive trains (originally the V8 models used corporate engine/transmission/dif gears, the V6 and SRT was fitted with the Mercedes NAG. They use MP transfer cases along with several other truck/SUV brands). Along the way, the transmissions were replaced by a ZF design which was mostly built by FCA and the V6 had a PUG update.

There is not a car type vehicle sold today as simple and easy to fix as a WK or WJ.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #15 of 36 Old 06-30-2021, 01:15 PM
Jeffs3232

I went from an 06 WK 5.7 Limited to a 20 Trailhawk with the 3.6L. Both Jeeps are night and day different. The Wk2 is definitely more luxury than my WK in every aspect, and just as capable. I would argue my WK2 is more capable because I have the adjustable air ride suspension. In terms of pep, the 3.6L is likely going to feel just as peppy as your 4.7. In mixed driving I get about 19.2mpg and that is spirited driving lol.

Regarding the tow package, in my area, they were hard to find as a factory option on the Limited model. They were on the Trailhawks, North Edition, and higher trims. Depending on what your looking for, I'd strongly consider the North Edition in your price point. It's basically a Laredo that is optioned up to include many features of the Trailhawk, less the air ride. They are available for around $34-35k with very low miles (less than 20k).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in