More 3.6 engine issues - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
almoniyot
2012 WK 

Thumbs down More 3.6 engine issues

I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6 purchased new with only 36k miles. I am already on my 3rd water pump, and have a new more worrying noise from the engine, specifically the valvetrain. I think it is similar to the ticking noise as described in this post. https://adventurebent.com/pentastar-tick-returns/ This is clearly a design defect as bearings in roller rockers should not fail so soon when the vehicle is properly maintained. Any idea how many hours a job it is to replace all the roller rockers?

I see there are more serious problems on some of these engines as outlined here. Not sure related to my problem. https://m.dealerconnect.chrysler.com...ODM-9KXKUH.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-24-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
almoniyot
2012 WK 

This I suspect is the problem. So obviously they know about it. Question is will they do anything about it? https://f01.justanswer.com/dodgetech..._3.6+issue.pdf
post #3 of 17 Old 05-24-2019, 05:28 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been several ticking threads

For example:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...cking-4343027/

Other culprits are phasers, exhaust leaks, PCV leaks.... purge valve...
almoniyot likes this.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.....
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 17 Old 05-25-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
almoniyot
2012 WK 

Thanks. This is the sound
post #5 of 17 Old 05-31-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
almoniyot
2012 WK 

Does anyone know how many hours of labor it is for a shop to replace the roller rockers?
post #6 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Canada1
2011 WK 

Most likely the ticking is a rocker arm (roller rocker). Mine was the rocker arm closest to the firewall on the passenger side nearest to the injectors and it seem that that one to go bad (needle bearings) is common. Luckily for this one you just need to loosen the camshaft to remove it and replace. It is a 6-8 hour job. I just did the one 2 months ago and no more ticking. I replaced at the same time the spark plugs since you have to remove the upper intake. I you want to do it I can give you some pointers.
almoniyot likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
almoniyot
2012 WK 

Thanks. I agree it is absolutely the roller rockers as shown here: https://f01.justanswer.com/dodgetech..._3.6+issue.pdf

Thing is, I am also throwing the code PCM P06DD Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Stuck Off (which I saw before I noticed the noise). I have taken it to 3 different people and I get 3 different answers... The first said it is the sender unit (he said the oil pressure is fine), the second said the roller rocker problem is causing it, and the third (dealer garage) said the oil pump needed to be changed (he said the pressure bounced around although it does not look like it to me). Not sure what to do. Roller rockers need to be changed either way. Unclear if problems are related.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-05-2019, 06:31 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The V6 has a two stage pump with two set oil pressures that the PCM controls via a solenoid in the pump. A higher pressure (65 psi) is used for rpms more than 3500 and other things like startup, lower pressure (29 psi) otherwise. P06DD indicates a low oil pressure for more than 5 seconds when there should be high pressure. Low or poor quality oil can do this.

•OIL FILTER MUST MEET OEM SPECIFICATIONS
•OIL FILTER O-RING FOR DAMAGED, MISSING, OR MIS-INSTALLED
•ENGINE MECHANICAL TOLERANCES OUT OF SPECIFICATION
•ENGINE OIL PRESSURE OUT OF SPECIFICATION
•LOW ENGINE OIL
•DETERIORATED OR DIRTY OIL
•ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

If other codes like P0520, P0521, P0522, P0523, or P1524 are not present the book says to replace the oil pump, although they should check the PCM-Solenoid and oil pressure connections first.

Is it an intermittent fault?

If the shop is measuring oil pressure below 3000 rpm, it would probably look normal. When fully warm, somewhere between 3000 and 3500 rpm it switches.

I suppose its possible for bad rocker roller bearings to leak enough that the pump can't build enough pressure, but I dunno. There is oil pressure there to lube the rockers and cam lobes. Haven't read that anywhere, however.
almoniyot likes this.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.....
post #9 of 17 Old 06-05-2019, 07:25 AM
DerekWildstar

Coming from the Honda world, the J35 V6 engines that had Honda’s second generation variable cylinder management system have had issues with misfires, to the point that there was a settlement agreement with Honda to rebuild the engines if affected. Honda never published the cause, but there has been speculation that it is caused by some kind of unanticipated stress on the de-activated cylinders that was unforeseen during testing (as cylinders #1-4, which deactivate, are the problems and #5-6, which never deactivate, are not affected).

Just out of idle curiosity, has Jeep ever issued any kind of statement about the cause of the “tick of death”? Could it be caused by unforeseen stresses incurred from the cylinder deactivation system? I have a 2014, so here’s to hoping the issue doesn’t crop up in mine!

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 coupe
post #10 of 17 Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM
dasbulliwagen
1987 MJ Comanche 

The 3.6 V6 does not have cylinder deactivation. In my experience the roller failure is random. Ive seen it on every cylinder, intake and exhaust.

I cant comment on the roller lifter issue on the 5.7 and cylinder cut off, as I have far less experience with them, though I have done a few. The last one I did had the lifter turned 90 degrees in its bore which ate a crescent shaped groove in the cam lobe. I can only assume it was due to seizure of the roller causing a rotational stress on the lifter, as the lifter retainers are notched to orient the lifters in the bore, but they are only plastic and could be forced.
w6pea likes this.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 AM
DerekWildstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbulliwagen View Post
The 3.6 V6 does not have cylinder deactivation. In my experience the roller failure is random. Ive seen it on every cylinder, intake and exhaust.

I cant comment on the roller lifter issue on the 5.7 and cylinder cut off, as I have far less experience with them, though I have done a few. The last one I did had the lifter turned 90 degrees in its bore which ate a crescent shaped groove in the cam lobe. I can only assume it was due to seizure of the roller causing a rotational stress on the lifter, as the lifter retainers are notched to orient the lifters in the bore, but they are only plastic and could be forced.
Good to know! My mistake - when reading about the Pentastar engine, I thought I read that it does support cylinder deactivation. Thanks for the clarification.
w6pea and almoniyot like this.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 coupe
post #12 of 17 Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You probably read that the 3.6 was designed to support cylinder deactivation, but that was not implemented in the WK2 application.

Along with random failures, there seems to be more than the usual lifter QC problems in the V8 MDS system that can ruin camshafts when they fail. Some years more than others, some brands more than others.
w6pea, almoniyot and DerekWildstar like this.

post #13 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
almoniyot
2012 WK 

Thanks for the great feed back ColdCase and others. Hoping no damage to the camshaft from the bad roller rockers.

I have been taking the vehicle to what is called an 'authorized Jeep garage' here, but it is still a possibility that they got cheap with the oil and filters. From now on I will bring my own. I think at this point I will replace the roller rockers, oil pressure sender unit, and the oil pump (along with another oil change of course). Hopefully that should fix things.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 AM
ZEN357

The 2012's into early 2013's had issues. You may want to talk to your Dodge dealer about and see if they can help.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Canada1
2011 WK 

My bad rocker roller did not trow codes just the bad ticking sound. If yours would be so bad to trow codes then the sound would be really bad. I vote for the pump or the oil filter housing and this means removing the upper and lower intake. Just for curiosity, did you check the filter bypass that on earlier model like mine would brake. I bought the spare part for when it will brake otherwise it means replacing the unit check
or

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in