Mopar OE hitch install tip - no bumper removal required - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Jkmotorsports
  • 1 Post By ColdCase
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-18-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Jkmotorsports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Mopar OE hitch install tip - no bumper removal required

Just installed my hitch this past weekend WITHOUT removing the entire bumper cover. I only removed the lower trim that is attached to the rear bumper cover. The trim is attached by clips and is easily removed, cutting down install time and makes it easier especially if you have the rear parking sensors. I had my new hitched installed in about an hour.

These white clip retainers are located behind bumper cover. Remove these to unclip and remove lower trim. Dont remember how many exactly but I want to say about 10 total.
20180917_104702_1537302504466.jpg



Here's the lower trim removed:
20180916_113250_1537301790428.jpg

20180916_113311_1537301821097.jpg

Trim cutout for bezel
20180916_121846_1537301999042.jpg

Bezel attached
20180916_122314_1537302026756.jpg

Hitch receiver installed before trim
20180916_123941_1537302053620.jpg

Before and after
photogrid_1537125934269_1537302449136.jpg

johntoles, sdolina and BubbaGee like this.
Jkmotorsports is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 PM
chesapeakesojah
Registered User
2017 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10
Where did you buy the hitch and trim panel?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Everyone says forgiveness is a lovely idea, until they have something to forgive."
- C.S. Lewis
chesapeakesojah is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,966
The OEM hitch is in the MOPAR accessory catalog. It comes with the trim piece. Many of the forum vendors sell MOPAR accessories.

When shipping costs and the trip to the dealer to activate the lights are considered, buying one from a dealer and having them install it starts to make some sense.
chesapeakesojah likes this.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 05-21-2019, 01:34 PM
xceebeex
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
I just got my 2019 Limited last week (currently leasing it) and have been looking at hitch options. The quote that I got from the dealer was $480 in labor to install the OEM hitch (if I provided the parts) and that seems pretty high. I was heavily leaning towards the Draw Tite with the Mopar connector for about $150 total but then came across this option to not have to remove the whole bumper so I am not second guessing. Were there any bolts that were really hard to get to when installing the OEM receiver? If I can save a ton of money on the labor and only have to deal with the dealer activating it (which I have to do even if I install the Draw Tite) then it might be worth going the OEM route.
xceebeex is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 167
What do you plan to tow? If you are planning on regularly towing heavier trailers then the OEM solution is probably your best bet. If you are just using it for bikes racks and lighter duty or occasional towing you can save a load of cash by going with a Draw Tite or Curt option. I got mine from etrailer, the hitch assembly was about $100 and they also offered a wiring harness for about $20 this plugged into rear light connectors behind the lamp clusters so no need to go to the dealer to get the OEM connector activated. The hitch took about 15 mins to install and the same again for the wiring. The "chassis" has four threaded M12 holes, you just need a 19mm wrench to bolt on the hitch. The downside of the aftermarket hitches is they present the receiver under the bumper, this avoids the need to cut it out and makes installation easy but results in the hitch being about 6 inches lower than the OEM install. This can make it hard to hook up some trailers without using a raiser because jack doesn't go low enough to drop the hitch onto the ball, you may all have ground clearance issues.
Bilko is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 PM
xceebeex
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
What do you plan to tow? If you are planning on regularly towing heavier trailers then the OEM solution is probably your best bet. If you are just using it for bikes racks and lighter duty or occasional towing you can save a load of cash by going with a Draw Tite or Curt option. I got mine from etrailer, the hitch assembly was about $100 and they also offered a wiring harness for about $20 this plugged into rear light connectors behind the lamp clusters so no need to go to the dealer to get the OEM connector activated. The hitch took about 15 mins to install and the same again for the wiring. The "chassis" has four threaded M12 holes, you just need a 19mm wrench to bolt on the hitch. The downside of the aftermarket hitches is they present the receiver under the bumper, this avoids the need to cut it out and makes installation easy but results in the hitch being about 6 inches lower than the OEM install. This can make it hard to hook up some trailers without using a raiser because jack doesn't go low enough to drop the hitch onto the ball, you may all have ground clearance issues.
I don't tow a lot, at the moment I just have a utility trailer that I tow once in a while. I priced out aftermarket and OEM and the aftermarket was only about $150 cheaper so I'm really debating if the clean look is worth it since I'm gonna do the install either way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
xceebeex is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 05-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 167
If the difference is only $150 I would go for the OEM, when I did mine the difference was more like $500 even with self install
Bilko is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 05-24-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Jkmotorsports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
I only paid about $250 total. 180 for the hitch shipped, installed myself, and 65 to dealer for harness activation. The OE setup is much sleeker looking than an aftermarket sitting below the bumper.
Jkmotorsports is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 AM
xceebeex
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkmotorsports View Post
I only paid about $250 total. 180 for the hitch shipped, installed myself, and 65 to dealer for harness activation. The OE setup is much sleeker looking than an aftermarket sitting below the bumper.

I just ordered the hitch and connector and it cost $289 shipped with tax and everything. The hitch itself was $205ish (without tax and shipping), so $180 shipped for the hitch was a great deal, where did you get that price from? Were all of the bolts accessible with normal sockets or did you need swivel adapters or anything?
xceebeex is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 05-24-2019, 11:05 AM
xceebeex
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
So I am about to get pretty upset unless I am missing something. It was my understanding that all Jeep GC's except the Laredo came pre-wired for the tow package. I cannot find the connector anywhere in my 2019 Limited. Am I missing something?
xceebeex is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 05-24-2019, 02:46 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,966
It can be hard to find, but tow wiring varies. As posted here often, its always best to check. Looks like at least some 2019 Limiteds are without.

Dunno if the MOPAR wiring kit is available, you may have to get an aftermarket plug in harness. Many here do.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 05-24-2019, 03:05 PM
xceebeex
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
It can be hard to find, but tow wiring varies. As posted here often, its always best to check. Looks like at least some 2019 Limiteds are without.

Dunno if the MOPAR wiring kit is available, you may have to get an aftermarket plug in harness. Many here do.
Yea, I don't know where to look is my problem. I looked where others have posted pictures for other model years and it is definitely not there.

They do have a wiring harness available but it's $285 so obviously I would rather not pay that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
xceebeex is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 05-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 167
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...ID=20111173549

This is what I used on a 2012, its only the 4 pole connector which is fine for my needs, just connects into the rear light clusters.
Bilko is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 AM
BubbaGee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 14
Do you just use a set of pliers to release the white clips to remove the lower section of the bumper?

Bubba

BubbaGee
Looking for a Grand Cherokee
BubbaGee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome