Maximum Care Warranty - Struts - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Hotbacon

Maximum Care Warranty - Struts

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, couldn't' find a more appropriate one...

I have the lifetime maximum care warranty on my 2013 JGC (~150k miles), and I was told my front strut was leaking during an oil change. I asked if it would be covered by my warranty and the dealer said yes. I got a call yesterday saying that the claim was denied because it falls under the normal wear and tear clause. I took a look at my policy and struts are specifically called out in the "What is covered" section, and is not in the "Normal wear and tear" section. I attempted to call the Mopar line to get a clarification, and the employee just re-iterated what was in case file and said struts are only covered if it's a manufacturer defect and not normal wear and tear. If this is the case, why are struts not in the same section as brakes and wipers? I can understand it if struts were in maintenance schedule, but I've never seen them come up.

Has anyone dealt with this (or a similar) issue? Am I up the creek w/o a paddle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Mogul

No specific Jeep experience on this, but similar idea. For shocks struts I think typically if you ned to replace them because they are wornout, not covered. But, if they are leaking, then it is a defect and covered. I guess the question to ask on your best smart *** way, "So the strut is supposed to leak?"
post #3 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 05:45 PM
tampamark
2015 WK 

That's not cool at all, my mopar paperwork says that struts are covered also. Keep fighting.

2000 TJ Sahara (sold)
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit - 6 cylinder Gas

post #4 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Rich Z
2019 WK 

Then such a warranty would mean that NOTHING is covered, since everything is subject to some wear and tear. If the piston rings or crank bearings wear out in 40,000 miles, then that would be considered "normal"?

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
5.7l Hemi
White exterior, black interior
post #5 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 08:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been plenty of folks here that had struts and shocks replaced that were leaking. Perhaps something new. Maybe JeepCares would care to step in here.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 09:31 PM
jacko15
2014 WK 

I had a rear shock replaced under the MaxCare warranty because it was leaking.

Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6
ORA II
Hers: 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
post #7 of 19 Old 10-11-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Hotbacon

Ugh, that's exactly the responses I was expecting to hear. My dealer advised me that it's BS and to keep calling because there wasn't much more he could do. After talking to 3 or 4 representatives and making zero progress I gave up. I'm not really sure where to go at this point.

It almost sounds to me like they are trying to back off on the coverage relying on the clause about manufacturing defects vs. normal use, knowing that any high mileage repairs could be written off as normal use. Which would totally defeat the point of me purchasing the lifetime/unlimited mileage plan in the first place.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Hotbacon

After exchanging PMs with JeepCares and discussions with the Mopar Maximum Care Plan reps, it looks like I'm out of options and the wear and tear excuse wins. Based on this experience, I'm not looking forward to future claim attempts. As Rich Z posted, FCAs new interpretation of the policy (or at least as it has been explained to me) would mean that NOTHING is covered.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 04:34 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

I’d pay a lawyer $200 to write a letter to Jeep on your behalf threatening legal action for breach of contract. They’ll cover the struts if it says they’re covered.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 04:44 PM
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

have a local independent replace them for less $$. The leaking strut noticed during oil change is a common racket unfortunately. your local guy mind find no problem either (except the oil they sprayed i on it to mimic leaking)
post #11 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 08:05 PM
GregK340
2017 WK 

This is very discouraging , my max care policy states that shocks and struts ARE covered. It specifically states what wear items AREN'T covered (and shocks and struts aren't on that list) . For fiat to suddenly play fast and loose with what is listed as a covered part, after selling a max care plan, is very disappointing, and will probably influence the next vehicles me and my wife purchase. fiat has never seemed to be a particularly reputable company.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

When the max care plan was presented to me, they claimed it covered everything that the 3/36 factory warranty did with a $100 deduct per visit. The paperwork only noted a few exceptions and shocks were not one of them.

I had a rear shock start leaking and the service guy initially told me it wouldnt be covered and they recommended replacing both rear shocks for $350 or so. I argued some that a leaky shock is not normal wear as one would expect for brakes. They came back and said the shock was covered but they could only replace one under extended warranty.

Funny when it is on my dime they recommend two. When on their dime One is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #13 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

More detail from my actual plan.....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #14 of 19 Old 10-15-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Hotbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post
I’d pay a lawyer $200 to write a letter to Jeep on your behalf threatening legal action for breach of contract. They’ll cover the struts if it says they’re covered.
That's the decision point I'm currently at right now. The issue is that (assuming I can find a lawyer to do it for that price) it's $200 + $100 deductible, and I'm almost at the cost of the repair w/o the maximum care plan. I would assume that they'd come up w/ some legalese that would cut off my plan after the repair. I'm thinking I'd rather hold out until something bigger goes bad and it makes more sense financially to threaten legal action.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-15-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Hotbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfinger View Post
When the max care plan was presented to me, they claimed it covered everything that the 3/36 factory warranty did with a $100 deduct per visit. The paperwork only noted a few exceptions and shocks were not one of them.
My plan looks very similar to yours, and everyone is echoing that struts are included on theirs as well. When the claim was denied, my dealer recommended I use the the 3/36 factory warranty coverage argument when I called FCA. I did, and they still didn't budge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in