Map Update and Uconnect 17.43.01 update - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
OldManBo
2015 WK 

Thumbs down Map Update and Uconnect 17.43.01 update

I got an email offer for a discounted map update from Uconnect about a month ago and decided to take advantage of it. When I went to purchase it I learned that I needed a Uconnect software update which was over one year old. I had never received an OTA notice for the update and hadn't been watching for updates. I went to the update download site and downloaded the zipped update file folder. When I clicked on the installation instruction button I got a .pdf that appeared blank with a message that it may require a different reader. Thinking it may be a browser issue I tried opening the file in Adobe Reader and got an error message. I then tried a different browser and again got an error message. So, I had no instructions but decided to proceed as I had in the past. I unzipped the update file and moved the unzipped files in their folder to a freshly formatted 4 Gig zip drive. Then I went to my car and tried an install. All I got was a message that the files were not recognized. I have tried downloading several times and repeating the procedure in variations that might correct the issue but I keep getting the unrecognized file message. I haven't called Uconnect, yet, and thought I'd see if anyone here could help me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 09:04 PM
PlainoldCheroke
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to read this. I thought Uconnect did updates directly from satelite to the car. Did not know you had to download files to a flash drive and try to install. I got the same email about a $99 update ( instead of $199) and I know maps are out of date, but they work. Sorry, not much help but will look into this procedure, too for a 2011

1995 Cherokee 4.0 with no power options.;
2011 GC Overland Hemi
post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Tweezer19
2017 WK 

The software update should be contained in a zip file. When you unzip the file, there should be a single 1.43GB file named "swdl.upd" that you place in the root of the USB drive. Do not create a folder otherwise system will not find it. HTH

Current: 2017 WK2 6.4L SRT
Previous: 2017 WK2 5.7L Summit, 2014 WK2 3.0 EcoDiesel Overland

post #4 of 8 Old 07-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
^ This. Copy that to the root of a flash drive that is at least 4GB and freshly formatted. It should update from that drive.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety - Luxury group - Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 AM
hoffinon
2014 WK 

Garage
I'm on a 2014 with version 17.11.07, I have similar issues.

Is there a way to manually download and install this update? (Uconnect's website says that I have the latest version)

2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L V6
post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
OldManBo
2015 WK 

I'm finally back. When I downloaded the update and unzipped it I got a folder with two files in it. One file was swdl.iso at 347.638 megs and swdl.upd at 1,392.724 megs. I got the uconnect instructions via a private message and email from a fellow member, thanks. In the trouble shooting guide with the instructions it states "Ensure that the only file on the usb flash drive is swdl.iso."

I will be trying flash drives with each having one of the files to see if either work. Will report back later.

Thanks for all the help.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 09:52 PM
jacko15
2014 WK 

You need both files on the thumb drive, unzipped, and separate.

Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6
ORA II
Hers: 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
OldManBo
2015 WK 

Success. Not sure what all I've learned but am sure patience is one of the clues.

I first tried putting both files on a freshly formatted usb thumb drive that was formatted in NTFS. I followed the directions and inserted the USB drive, waited about 30 seconds and nothing happened. Assuming it wasn't working I removed the drive. A message came up on the screen saying: Failed to copy installer.iso. Then I repeated the above with just the .upd file loaded and this time the message was: Installer data section in hash and hash don't match. With only the .iso file the unit switched to media and did nothing and left no messages.

I went back and reformatted the drive and transferred the zipped .upd file from my computer to the usb drive with the intent of unzipping it on the thumb drive. I found it was unzipped during the copy so I took the drive to the car and tried it. At first it appeared the same as before, ie. nothing happenning. I waited a little longer, about 45 seconds, and the update screen appeared. From there all worked as described in the instructions.

I suspect all I needed was to wait longer but maybe the second method of unzipping was what was needed. At least it appears that only the .upd file is needed. I did find that a few things worked different that shown in the directions once the the update started but it did not interfere with completing the installation. The directions were for a 14 and the differences may be with the changes that u-connect made in 15s.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in