Making an Altitude "Trail Rated" - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
jeepconvert18
2019 WK 

Making an Altitude "Trail Rated"

Hi guys, I wanted to get thoughts on what modifications/additional parts you'd need to make an Altitude worthy of being considered Trail Rated. I understand that you'll never completely get there because of it's QT1 system vs a QTII or QDII system, but other than that what would get it there?Based on what I understand on what qualifies a JGC as being trail rated, it's the following:

Skid Plates
A/T Tires
Tow hooks

Is that it? or are there other things that I'm missing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 05:01 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
I'd say that depends on what you consider "trail rated". A Trailhawk has Quadralift whether you like it or not, but it's not the only WK2 to have a trail rated badge. To me, skid plates are a must, even more than what a Tralhawk or any WK2 comes with, especially the plastic transmission "splash guard". That's not trail rated. Good skid plates, good tires, and recovery points when that's not enough to get you through is enough, but the most important qualifier is the driver.
w6pea and vbjeeper like this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #3 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
jeepconvert18
2019 WK 

Isn't the Trailhawk the only WK2 to be labeled trail rated officially by Jeep? and I guess I would consider "trail rated" to the standard of what Jeep officially labels their WK2's as.

So it sounds like (besides the QDII system), it would be skid plates, A/T tires, tow hooks and a 2.5in lift over stock ride height?

Anything else?

I also read on Jeep's website that being trail rated means having electrical connections and body openings sealed and the air intake positioned higher to protect your vehicle when driving through high water. Is that something that's on the Trailhawks as well or on all WK2s? Seems like the air intake position is the same on all WK2s.
vbjeeper likes this.

post #4 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 05:35 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
You can get the off road adventure package on other WK's. That's the skid plates, QD-II, quadralift, tow hooks, etc. including,,,,,,,the trail rated badge. From a factory standpoint, anything with the off-road adventure II package is trail rated.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #5 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 05:40 PM
OldPaint

Garage
Plus, IMO, improved traction with an installed rear limited slip differential
vbjeeper likes this.

Bob N. 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L, 1999 Cherokee XJ 4.0L (off-road enhanced)
post #6 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
jeepconvert18
2019 WK 

Jeepconvert18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
You can get the off road adventure package on other WK's. That's the skid plates, QD-II, quadralift, tow hooks, etc. including,,,,,,,the trail rated badge. From a factory standpoint, anything with the off-road adventure II package is trail rated.
Thanks! This is helpful. I guess I should have got a limited or above because you can't get this package on the Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPaint View Post
Plus, IMO, improved traction with an installed rear limited slip differential
Dumb question, but could you install this aftermarket or is it a huge pain in the ***?
post #7 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 06:45 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The WK2 like the WK uses corporate gearing, there is no aftermarket.

I think early model Laredos with the All Weather Capability package may have been trail rated, they did not have QL or QD.

Technically TrailRated is a marketing thing. The fine print basically says the vehicle was designed to meet a certain use and trail type an independent lab suggests. The independent lab verified it does... usually things like approach/departure angle and ground clearance are more important factors. I haven't seen what FCA gave to the lab as trail type, and that varies from vehicle to vehicle model. Our 2009 liberty is trail rated because it has a touch screen radio and optional wheels. No skid plates, no tow hooks.... go figure

So perhaps don’t think in terms of trail rated, but think about the functional improvements you can make to better cope with the type of trails you want to drive... as Fast55 suggests.

Oh, wait, I forgot the most important thing that makes the liberty trail rated, the badge.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 07:01 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The early Laredo E with the off road adventure 1 package is “trail rated”.

Front Suspension Skid Plate (XEU)
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield (XEE)
Full Size Spare Tire (TBB)
Hill Descent Control (BNH)
P245/70R17 OWL On/Off Road Tires (TUW)
Quadra-Trac II (R) 4WD System (DKA)
Selec-Terrain (TM) System (XAB)
Skid Plate Group (ADL)
Steel Spare Wheel (WLB)
Tow Hooks (XEA)
Trail Rated Badge (MT2)
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield (XEF)
Underbody Skid Plate (XF3)

post #9 of 42 Old 06-25-2020, 07:08 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The ALL WEATHER TRAIL RATED PACKAGE adds these things to a later model Laredo E

18X8.0 SATIN SILVER ALUMINUM WHEELS (WCT)
265/60R18 BSW A/S ALL TERRAIN TIRES (TKH)
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER (NHK)
FRONT SUSPENSION SKID PLATE (XEU)
FUEL TANK SKID PLATE SHIELD (XEE)
FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE (TBB) w/STEEL SPARE WHEEL (WLB)
HEATED FRONT SEATS (JPM)
HEATED STEERING WHEEL (NHS)
HILL DESCENT CONTROL (BNH)
MOPAR CARGO AREA LINER (CMK)
MOPAR SLUSH MATS (CWA)
QUADRA-TRAC II 4WD SYSTEM (DKA)
REMOTE START SYSTEM (XBM)
SELEC-TERRAIN SYSTEM (XAB)
SKID PLATE GROUP (ADL)
STEEL SPARE WHEEL (WLB)
TOW HOOKS (XEA)
TRAIL RATED BADGE (MT2)
TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE SHIELD (XEF)
UNDERBODY SKID PLATE (XF3)

post #10 of 42 Old 06-26-2020, 02:43 PM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

I think early model Laredos with the All Weather Capability package may have been trail rated, they did not have QL or QD.

Technically TrailRated is a marketing thing. Our 2009 liberty is trail rated because it has a touch screen radio and optional wheels. No skid plates, no tow hooks.... go figure

So perhaps donít think in terms of trail rated, but think about the functional improvements you can make to better cope with the type of trails you want to drive... as Fast55 suggests.

Oh, wait, I forgot the most important thing that makes the liberty trail rated, the badge.
Ya not that i have CC's knowledge but on 4th jeep I never understood what trail rated meant. I shopped for a jeep that fit my specific purpose; that's what I would recommend. What do you want to use your jeep for than find what fits.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #11 of 42 Old 06-27-2020, 04:43 AM
w6pea
Grumpy Old Fart Marine

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

Technically TrailRated is a marketing thing. Our 2009 liberty is trail rated because it has a touch screen radio and optional wheels. No skid plates, no tow hooks.... go figure

So perhaps don’t think in terms of trail rated, but think about the functional improvements you can make to better cope with the type of trails you want to drive... as Fast55 suggests.

As @ColdCase said in the above quote, I have a fried that has a 2007 Liberty and it's Trail Rated and as ColdCase said his Jeep Liberty does not have any skid plates

"Without Trucks & Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"
."Semper Fi"
"Once A Marine Always A Marine"

2019 JGC 5.7L Hemi
post #12 of 42 Old 06-27-2020, 05:11 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

Even my 07 WK is trail rated. With just the 4.7L v8 and QuadraTrac II. I added the Mopar front and rear tow hooks.

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #13 of 42 Old 06-27-2020, 08:04 PM
diverscale

I took the all-weather package instead of the adventure package (trail rated) on my 2020, and I bought the corresponding skid plates to make it the same as the ''trail rated'', which were the two fuel tank skid plates, the transfer case skid plate (2 pieces in one package) and the front engine skid plate. Total cost was around 800$ canadian at the dealer.

I think it's a good idea to add those skids, especially the low hanging fuel tanks.
post #14 of 42 Old 06-27-2020, 08:21 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Making an Altitude Trail Rated

TrailHawk gets rock rails too, right?
QD2 (part of Off Road Adventure2?) includes the electronic limited slip rear Diff.

My last study of this was in MY 2016/2017.

I purchased the 2016 Overland V8 which had QTII,QD, HD Tow, chrome front tow hooks. (The chrome seems rather silly.) Lower front fascia section can be removed. Unfortunately included 20” wheels, full-sized spare.

To this I have added MOPAR skid plates for fuel tank, Transfer case and front axle (which covers a bit more of the oil sump).

TBD: metal transmission pan skid plate and rock rails, and a metal bash plate for the front which would protect between the Collision Avoidance radar under the front bumper and the front axle skit plate. This would complete my desired armor. Then, swap out to 18” wheels

Not sure I can add a rear diff with the ELS from the QD2 unless I also get some reprogramming and control wire to the solenoid.
post #15 of 42 Old 06-27-2020, 09:09 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The TrailHawk rock rails are optional, not standard. Those rock rails are in the accessory catalog and can be installed on just about any WK2.

The QD2 rear actually locks or limits slip under computer control. The clutches are actuated by an electric motor, just like the transfer case clutches. The FAQ has a link to a pretty accurate description I think.

You say your 2016 has QD (says QuadraDrive in the EVIC when you get in to start up), then it already has the QD2 rear diff. The QD2 diff operates much differently than the WK QD hydraulic operated diff, there is no such thing as a disable solenoid for example.

The easiest and cheapest way to install a QD rear dif in a Jeep with the open dif is to trade it in for one with QD. The ABS and traction control programing is different. You may need a drive shaft along with the dif housing/assembly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in