Maintenance & rodents on a lease - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I built a home with garages and a shed in the middle of the woods.

I had a mouse problem, lots of them. I keep the grass cut no bushes up against the house. I got dogs for around the house. I use poison and put it where the dogs can't reach it, the house in the house and in the shed, and I keep my lights on in the shed 24/7.

I no longer have a mouse problem.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 02-28-2018, 10:09 AM
FLHXSE3
2014 WK 

Those electric plug-in mouse repellent things work great....had a mouse problem on my acreage...plugged them in and with-in days....not a mouse in the walk-out basement or the garage.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-28-2018, 11:11 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some of these sound repellents work better than others. I put one in the shed, when I opened it in the spring I found mouse crap all over the top of it. I guess that shows what they thought of that model . Dad has had good luck with another brand.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #19 of 28 Old 02-28-2018, 11:14 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHXSE3 View Post
Those electric plug-in mouse repellent things work great....had a mouse problem on my acreage...plugged them in and with-in days....not a mouse in the walk-out basement or the garage.
They didn't work for me.

post #20 of 28 Old 02-28-2018, 01:25 PM
FLHXSE3
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
They didn't work for me.
Were the ones you used make a low volume 'chirp'? Mine did.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHXSE3 View Post
Were the ones you used make a low volume 'chirp'? Mine did.
mine made no noise I could hear.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-PestCh...ser+ultrasonic

post #22 of 28 Old 09-16-2020, 01:36 AM
jeepJanson

Hi, I just looked for a thread with rodents. I have just one question - is the car damaged by rodents an insurance case?
post #23 of 28 Old 09-16-2020, 06:09 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepJanson View Post
Hi, I just looked for a thread with rodents. I have just one question - is the car damaged by rodents an insurance case?
I believe your comprehensive would cover it, maybe even homeowners if in your garage.
post #24 of 28 Old 09-16-2020, 09:31 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepJanson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
I believe your comprehensive would cover it, maybe even homeowners if in your garage.
Yep. Rodent damage is covered under the comprehensive portion of your insurance.

A bit of unsolicited advice. In most states, you can select a separate deductible for each portion of your insurance.

A low deductible on the collision side is expensive - which is why most people have a $1k deductible. Collision covers those things that are your fault and are the claims most expensive for the insurance company - they usually have to not only repair your car but somebody else's too AND pay medical and what-not.

A low deductible on the comprehensive side is cheap - for me, going to $100 deductible is about $26 a year more than the $1k deductible. Comp covers things that aren't your fault - rodents/road hazards/wildlife/glass etc.

Hit and run damage generally falls under collision UNLESS you can prove it wasn't your fault - store video for example showing somebody backing into your car even one can't see the plate or identify the car.
post #25 of 28 Old 09-16-2020, 10:53 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jksp View Post
Got 2 questions:

1. I've got a lease which I'm taking in about a week from now for it's 30k oil change (been changing every 10k). When I phoned to schedule the appt, the guy told me that @30k the vehicle should get a fuel injection cleaning ($250). I wasn't able to find anything in the manual regarding fuel injection cleaning in the maintenance schedule section. It is a lease, and though I've taken good care of my vehicle, I prefer to skip the fuel injection cleaning if possible. I wanted to get some opinions as to the weight of the importance of that.
Itís a lease... Do the bare minimum maintenance and donít say anything at lease turn in. Let them do their inspection, but donít offer any information.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #26 of 28 Old 09-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post

It’s a lease... Do the bare minimum maintenance and don’t say anything at lease turn in. Let them do their inspection, but don’t offer any information.
He probably already did something since he asked that over 2.5 years ago.
post #27 of 28 Old 09-18-2020, 07:34 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Hahaha. I didnít even look at when this thread started.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-20-2020, 11:16 PM
oilverland
2020 WK 

With all due respect to posts above I have tried the peppermint oil and dryer sheets and other nostrums, all to no effect. We have red tailed hawks where I live but so far they don't come when I call them. What worked for me were baited traps. Some say they will attract mice but it seems like they were coming anyway, so you have nothing to lose.

I get to garage my rig and I try to mouse proof the garage too. We also get packrats but they seem to make nests in more open parts of the car. I once transported one in the chassis of a BMW across the Cascade mountains. Boy was he dizzy and confused as he fell out of the frame upon arrival.

I got rid of stink in carpets with a generic version of Fabreeze. The stuff called Nature's Miracle smells a lot like mouse urine to me, and it did't work to replace mouse pee stink with 'miracle' stink. You can try this but it's iffy: Turn the hvac fan to it's lowest setting and spray lysol into the hvac intake with the cabin filter removed. Unscented Lysol is best but I can't find it anymore. Or maybe use Fabreeze as the spray, I just realized I should have tried that.

If you are in the West, and maybe elsewhere too, handle mice and their droppings with N95 mask and gloves. A fabric or surgical mask is not sufficient. If the mouse or its byproducts are still wet either can carry Hanta virus, infections of which have a 33% fatality rate. The virus dies within 4 hours of drying out, but don't assume that dead mouse or the trap are dry. Obviously, don't let your kids near this. Throw away used traps.

Get some 1/4 inch hardware cloth and form it into a shape that covers the hvac intake and the engine air cleaner intake. (Have you looked on the intake side of the engine filter yet? I found a big nest there in my WK.) Both my WK and WK2 had no protection there. The cabin filter in the WK didn't seem to stop them, they only need 1/2" and got around that filter somehow. That filter and its carrier were an option on the WK; it came standard with my WK2 so I hope it's a no-gap fit.

I can't tell you specifically how to shape the hardware cloth. For the engine air intake, it was easy on the WK but I had to take the grill off. It's easy to get at in the WK2, on the driver side above the headlight (at least on my 5.7) but fastening it will be a bit more of a challenge. As for the cabin air intake, on the passenger side of the firewall, FCA would have done us all a favor if the big door there would close when the car is off; it only closes if the hvac is off. It's obvious where the hardware cloth should go there but I just got the rig and am not sure how I will fasten it. Don't put it anywhere that will interfere with that aforementioned door.

2020 Trailhawk V8 lighting group and techno group

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in