Maintenance & rodents on a lease - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-17-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Jksp

Maintenance & rodents on a lease

Got 2 questions:

1. I've got a lease which I'm taking in about a week from now for it's 30k oil change (been changing every 10k). When I phoned to schedule the appt, the guy told me that @30k the vehicle should get a fuel injection cleaning ($250). I wasn't able to find anything in the manual regarding fuel injection cleaning in the maintenance schedule section. It is a lease, and though I've taken good care of my vehicle, I prefer to skip the fuel injection cleaning if possible. I wanted to get some opinions as to the weight of the importance of that.

2. So I've had 2 separate rodents set up camp in my vehicle. First time was last yr inside the blower below the cabin air filter. Died instantly when I turned on the air without knowing it was there but left a lingering stench that lasted almost half a yr until I found out what it was when I was changing the cabin filter. In looking through the engine compartment with a flashlight, I can see material evidences from the rodent's doing. Nothing destructive (at least of what I've noticed) regarding cabling, wires & hoses. But apparently the techs over at Jeep didn't notice what I noticed when I had dropped the car off for oil change after it happened. So the 2nd time was a couple of weeks ago when another rodent set up shop inside the glove compartment, filling it completely full of shredded pieces of papers & napkins. My question is, what's the situation concerning rodent issues like this on leased cars. Am I going to be at fault if damages result? Should I not even inform them of it when I take my vehicle in? I was surprised they didn't catch the first one when I took it in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-17-2018, 02:53 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Unless there’s an issue with the way the Jeep runs, the “fuel injection cleaning” is the dealer’s way of reaching in your wallet for unnecessary maintenance charges.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #3 of 28 Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

decline the fuel injector cleaning, you have the manual.
Maybe add a can of techron to your gas tank and call it a compromise.

the mechanics would NOT inspect the cabin air filter so would not see your friends....

I would not say anything as there is NO issues.

I would suspect your insurance would cover this under comprehensive....worth checking AND let us know.....

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 28 Old 02-17-2018, 04:27 PM
LeroyJMC
1994 ZJ 

No damage is no damage and no worries. I would suggest trying to make sure any remnants are cleaned out well though.

2009 Red Rock JK Unlimited Rubi
2006 Scion xA
1999 WJ Limited Quadradrive V8
1997 Chevrolet Z71
1994 ZJ Laredo 4.0 - Sold
Thanks for the IR Remote Smokinbk.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-19-2018, 05:36 AM
andrec10

The cleaning is a way to steal your money! Run Techron thru there and your all good!
post #6 of 28 Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Jksp

Good to know. Thanks for the advices.

How much Techron is needed? I see they come in 12oz bottles.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM
FLHXSE3
2014 WK 

I've used Sea Foam for many years in everything from the lawnmower and chain saw to various Harleys to the 2014 3.0 GC.....all with good results.

On the Daughter's '99 Grand Am that was having a 'miss'....I put a double dose in the almost empty tank and then drove to the gas station about 3 km away......the miss was almost gone......and halfway through the tank it was gone.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 PM
andrec10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jksp View Post
Good to know. Thanks for the advices.

How much Techron is needed? I see they come in 12oz bottles.
I would go with the 20oz bottle, since these are 24 gallon tanks.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Tafcrcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
Unless there’s an issue with the way the Jeep runs, the “fuel injection cleaning” is the dealer’s way of reaching in your wallet for unnecessary maintenance charges.

Exactly.
post #10 of 28 Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 AM
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

Not sure you can use it without stinking up the vehicle, but peppermint oil is great for keeping rodents away, but do not put it inside or in the cabin filter area, maybe on some wiring or where you think they are getting up into the vehicle. the stuff is potent.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Set up a few mouse traps in the foot wells every night, on top of newspaper or plastic bags. Nice peanut butter glop bait ought to get them interested. I suggest the plastic in case they excrete excretions when the trap snaps. Ask me how I know.

Sure beats the alternative of them dying in the "fresh" air vent.

I'm on a mission after one of them ate a hole in my under-hood heat shield/liner this week. I have a nice zapper electric trap for that guy. Fits snugly next to the air intake box.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 AM
GregK340
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9496ZJs View Post
Set up a few mouse traps in the foot wells every night, on top of newspaper or plastic bags. Nice peanut butter glop bait ought to get them interested.
The only problem with baited traps you might draw in mice that normally wouldn't go in your vehicle.
post #13 of 28 Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM
andrec10

Put a few dryers sheets in the Jeep. They keep mice away. Also Peppermint oil on a little sponge keeps them away as well.
post #14 of 28 Old 02-24-2018, 06:55 AM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

If the mouse has already found its way into your car and has been eating your stash of Cliff Bars and Pringles at night, there’s nothing to loose by offering it a tasty peanut butter snack on a spring-loaded trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK340 View Post
The only problem with baited traps you might draw in mice that normally wouldn't go in your vehicle.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Jksp

I'll have to give peppermint oil a try.

In my case, the issues revolved around the glove compartment. The first time when it died in the blower, I noticed it's nest was built right on op of the cabin air filter when I went to changed it. The second time was inside the glove compartment which was packed to the max with pieces of napkins. There must be an opening somewhere in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in