Looking at a used GC - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
mortar34

Looking at a used GC

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new (used) SUV in two months and a 2016-2017 GC Limited is my first choice. I'm looking for any pointers, areas of concerns, or questions I should ask, or generally anything I should be aware of going in?

It will be a family car, no off-roading, and could potentially see some mileage from me. Other considerations are the Durango and Explorer of similar age range.

Any advice or warning are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been quite a few tips posted over the years. These are nice Jeeps.

Don't want to repeat the general used care buying advice. Just drive it from cold, don't let them warm it up. Make note of any vibrations, rattles, harsh shifts, or drivability quirks that annoy you as those are hard to resolve satisfactorily. Check that the heated seats and steering wheel is working, if equipped, and run the HVAC though all the modes.

The V8 is a little more durable and easy to work on than the V6, if that matters to you. The air suspension option is nice and functional but can be expensive to repair, same with a leather dash option and any of the the radios for that matter.

As with any recent models, these are complicated computer controlled vehicle that make it tough to repair inexpensively. So consider a MOPAR extended warranty.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 4 Old 05-18-2019, 05:04 PM
DerekWildstar

+1 on the extended warranty. We’ve already used it on our ‘14 Limited.

Otherwise, everything ColdCase says is great. We have the V6, and while it is down on power compared to the V8, it is still responsive enough (especially with the ECO mode disengaged). I’ve been a Honda guy my whole life, but my wife’s Jeep is making me a believer (especially in the snow). My only other advice? Get rid of the OEM tires as soon as possible. We have the crap-tac-ular Goodyear Forteras, which negate an otherwise fantastic AWD system.

post #4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
2018 is the first year with Car Play and Android Auto support if that makes a difference to you. In a couple months the 2020's will hit and everything else should see another small drop in prices.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety - Luxury group - Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in