Looking at new WK2's & pickups... what would you do? - JeepForum.com
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Gr33nj33p
2014 WK 

Looking at new WK2's & pickups... what would you do?

Hello all. I have had my 2014 4x4 Limited for almost 2 years now (bought used in 2017 with 49k miles). It has been a great vehicle for me with zero issues other than maintenance and wear items. I now have 80k+ on her and have been toying with the idea of replacing it.

I recently moved yet again and REALLY missed having a pickup truck, although I really only ever need a truck a couple of times a year (but I have no friends or family close by with a truck I can "borrow" lol) With that said, I have been looking at 2 wheel drive pickups and lower end 4x4 (quadra trac 1) WK2's so I can keep my payment the same. The idea of having something with a full warranty, new car smell, and shiny paint is an attractive idea. My Jeep is in decent shape considering the age, miles, etc. but has typical WK2 problems - very rough shifting & clunking, cracking armrest leather, peeling chrome on cup holders and door handles, clear coat starting to peel on the front bumper, etc.

I don't really off-road (done it a few times for fun to see what she could do), but my folks live in the mountains so it's nice to have when I need it, but really a 2wd with some all terrain tires would probably be sufficient for me.

So I know this is a Jeep forum haha, however, what would you do if you were in my shoes? My choices are as follows:

2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 double cab 2wd with locking diff
2019 Chevy Colorado 4wd Z71 extended cab
2019 Jeep GC Laredo E 4x4

I have attached photos of the ones I am looking at for reference

Attached Thumbnails
1500 Silverado.jpg   Jeep laredo E 2019.jpg   Z71 Colorado.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-17-2019, 04:34 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

I have a 2011 grand cherokee with 75,000 miles bought used in 2015. I have it almost paid off and have been looking at either a 2019 grand cherokee altitude or the new gladiator truck. The grand cherokee actually priced out cheaper than the gladiator but both are kind of too expensive for me. Plus I just put new tires and wheels on and am half way done building my grand cherokee into an overlanding vehicle so won't be doing anything anytime soon. I would seriously look at the base model gladiator. You have room for the family and a bed to put bigger items in and the best part you can take the top and the doors off.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
post #3 of 20 Old 09-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
OK, I'll bite.

I would not buy either of the GM products. Too new to have the bugs worked out, and there are a few if you visit the GM forums. The GC? Pass.

Save the difference by shopping a GC that is CPO'd and maybe has a few more options including a hitch so you can get yourself a cheap utility trailer for the rare occasion you need a truck.

My 2 cents.

PS: The new Silverados are hideous.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety - Luxury group - Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails

post #4 of 20 Old 09-17-2019, 05:57 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I’d pass the GM products too if it was me. If you want a truck and more value for your money, and fewer problems, look at a RAM instead of the GM products.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 20 Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 PM
OldPaint

Garage
I too have salivated over the new Jeep Gladiator, but not much more than that at the current asking prices. Perhaps if I wait a few years and buy one used it could make a great addition to the (tiny) herd.

And a utility trailer option? Not bad, but if used a couple times in a couple of years? I now think that renting a u-haul (or similar) trailer a bargain for such rare occasions.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

Bob N. 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L, 1999 Cherokee XJ 4.0L (off-road enhanced)
post #6 of 20 Old 09-17-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gr33nj33p
2014 WK 

Thanks for the replies guys. My Limited has the tow package, and I pulled a double axle 16' trailer loaded up when I moved without a problem. The only thing that sucked was driving an hour to pick up the trailer, and then another hour back. And then when I was done with it, another 2 hour trip.

I'm going through a divorce, and just bought a condo. So I have no garage anymore and only 1 parking space. So that's why I was thinking of going back to a pickup for the versatility and being self sufficient. I have really enjoyed my jeep, and it was my 1st SUV in 25 years of buying vehicles. I just miss having a bed to haul large **** around when needed.

I love the new gladiator, but they are all high 30s and up, with no discounts because they are so popular. I have been looking at the ram trucks too, and I LOVE the interiors and they ride nice when I had one as a loaner last year for a day when they were doing recall work on my WK2. But I happen to like the new Silverado styling. (I am not a brand chaser, I have owned around 40 vehicles of various brands since i was 16)

I guess it's a decision I'm just going to have to make, just looking for opinions to help me in my process.

Thanks again fellas
post #7 of 20 Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The Silvarado is a nice car, plan to trade it after 2-3 years at most. Thats what my brother does and has minimum issues. Otherwise buy what you like and enjoy. There are better options if all you want is a bed to haul and occasional load. I have a little bias as GM stuck me with two vehicles with design defects and told me to pound sand.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
post #8 of 20 Old 09-18-2019, 01:49 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Jeep w/HD towing.

You can rent a trailer for so little money when you need it. And one day when the divorce dust settles and you are a little more flush, you may find yourself in a home with 2 garage bays and you can go get a Dodge truck for fun...towed home by your Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
31A366F4-96B2-4734-A4B8-5028A52DC8C5_1568836073805.jpg  
Norcim and Gr33nj33p like this.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-18-2019, 02:35 PM
moosestache

I have both a chevy 2500 diesel pickup and a jeep grand cherokee. I plow with it, so I need a pickup. There really isn't much difference between the brands, they all have good and bad. A lot more GM trucks sold then ford, then a lot more ford trucks sold then dodge. As far as if I could have only one, it depends. If I had to go into the city much, I would have the GC. If I didn't have to go into the city and worry about parking etc, then a pickup does a lot more. If you have anyone riding in the back, definitely get the cab with 4 full doors. Just remember, they are long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone who gets the 1/2 doors in the back ends up wishing they got the full ones, basically almost the same size with none of the benefits of the full size back doors.
Gr33nj33p likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-18-2019, 02:38 PM
moosestache

I like the gladiator, and that may work for you. For me, it wouldn't go offroad as well as a regular jeep wrangler and wouldn't haul stuff as well as a regular pickup, but for a lot of people I think it would work great.
Gr33nj33p likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-18-2019, 02:56 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

I would stick with your current Jeep for as long as you can. If you like it, and ownership has been good, why change it? You live in a condo so that means storage is limited (no pun intended), so therefore, I don't think you'll be hauling much by having a p/u. Sometimes, less is more.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-18-2019, 05:13 PM
JeepGC001

My opinion and some facts: My 2005 Silverado has been the most dependable and reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Zero issues. My step dad has an F150 of the same year and mileage and it has left him stranded 3 times (broken down), had 3 recalls (one related to fire), and I've had to replace multiple parts on it for him (master cylinder, coil packs, motorized rear view mirror, etc...). The first year of any vehicle will sometimes have statistically more issues than predecessor years of the same generation, and that can happen with anything that's manufactured. HALT, component level testing, duty cycle & stress tests, integration testing, environmental tests, etc. can only test so many variables and variations, the real world will always differ.

When I replace this Grand Cherokee, my current plan is for it to be with a new Silverado. They look awesome, and if you disagree, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. From what I've read and heard personally about the new Ram trucks (from actual owners), they may have nice interiors but are experiencing lots of issues.

With the 2014 Grand Cherokee I've owned for only several months, I've experienced several issues, fortunately none too significant. My Grand Cherokee has also had 9 (yes, nine) recalls. Doubt I'll go with an FCA product again.
Gr33nj33p likes this.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-18-2019, 08:19 PM
0f02r

I have a 17 GC...and an 11 F150 platinum. I gravitate towards the F150...but I still enjoy the GC...
Gr33nj33p likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-19-2019, 02:52 AM
JCE

2019 WK 

Buy the Jeep for a myriad of reasons. The two big ones for me at least are, I refuse to buy a GM product and frankly, those trucks are hideous to look at. There's one thing the Jeep has above about every other larger vehicle is that it is quite brilliant to look at.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

2016 Dodge Charger R/T
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 4x4
post #15 of 20 Old 09-19-2019, 05:12 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGC001 View Post
My opinion and some facts: My 2005 Silverado has been the most dependable and reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
Your lucky, the neighbors 2005 had to be junked after 3 years, and his newest one has been hauled away from his driveway for repair 4 times over the past year. Nearly stranded him twice. But he will still buy another every 2 years or so as he wants to love them. He managed to get a good one back in the 70s when he got his first date and then later had trouble with the GM provided jeep drive train... so GM for him, no Jeeps.... even if his issues was with the GM engine and transmission

There isn't a bad car built today, so buy what you like. GM forums are full of early blown head gaskets and $1000 repairs because GM wanted to save 25 cents on an gasket.
Gr33nj33p likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in