Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Limited slip rear differential fluid

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Youssef 79 
#1 ·
Hello Members,
I hope you are doing well.
Please, what is the correct lubricant for the limited slip rear differential of a JGC Overland Diesel 2018? Oil specification or the oil part number will be very helpful and if you can advise whether there is a need to add a friction modifier or not.
Thank you very much,
Youssef

#2 ·
The 2018 owners manual says to use Mopar GL-5 Synthetic Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-85 with friction modifier. The diesel and gas use the same rear differential.

#3 ·
Thank you Coldcase.

Actually, I am already aware about the owners' manuel prescription. The issue is that I am not able to locate that oil i.e. is it the oil + the friction modifier additive, or is it the oil that already includes the friction modifier? In both cases, I will be grateful if I can get the part number of the suitable oil so I can look after it directly.
Thank you again,

#4 ·
I think 68083381AA is the oil with additive, about $38 There are shipping restrictions I think.

The plain GL-5 is 68232947AB, about $14

#7 ·
Does that oil work in a ELSD? i.e. does it have/need equivalent friction modifiers? Does their slip-lock work well with the ELSD clutches? Don't see it listed specifically which generally is a red flag. Dunno, just checking.

General consensus around here is to always use the MOPAR specific stuff when you can get it, which is a good GL-5 full synthetic oil. Change it more often if towing heavy or exposed to off road dust/mud puddles/fording conditions.

#9 ·
Does that oil work in a ELSD? i.e. does it have/need equivalent friction modifiers? Does their slip-lock work well with the ELSD clutches? Don't see it listed specifically which generally is a red flag. Dunno, just checking.

General consensus around here is to always use the MOPAR specific stuff when you can get it, which is a good GL-5 full synthetic oil. Change it more often if towing heavy or exposed to off road dust/mud puddles/fording conditions.
The Mopar friction modifier 4318060AD is only about $10. a Good GL-5 synthetic and that is a little less money than the oil with additive already in it.
Thank you for your response.
In Mororcco, the local FCA subsidiary (Dealer) does not sell Mopar oils, but they are using PETRONAS oils and those Petronas oils do not have friction modifier already added. Therefore, I am considering the below solution:
- the plain oil from Petronas 75W90 in the front differential,
- Motul GEAR 300 LS 75W90 for the rear differential, this is the only oil I found and that most meet FCA requirements.
https://www.motul.com/fr/en/products/gear-300-ls-75w90
It is unfortunate that not all Mopar parts are available and offered by the local FCA subsidiary...
Thank you all for you very helpful advices and guidance.
Kind Regards,

#8 ·
The Mopar friction modifier 4318060AD is only about $10. a Good GL-5 synthetic and that is a little less money than the oil with additive already in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.