Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Let's see them campers!! What are you towing with your V6 WK2s?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  George C 
#1 ·
I know that the 2018+ 3.6L WK2s are rated at 6,200lbs max towing, but curious how close you guys come to this rating? How often do you tow?

Have you done any tow specific upgrades like cooling, engine, etc.?

I'm looking at campers and was kicking myself for not getting a Hemi, but also perhaps this is a good thing?

Thinking camping trailer under 5,000 lbs or so should be a good balance?!

#2 ·
Have you got the factory tow package? The HD cooling seems to be the key feature that extends the towing capacity from 3,500lbs to 6,200lbs. The actual radiator looks like the same part for standard and HD and the difference is just the fan(s) so you could probably just upgrade the fan assembly if you haven got HD cooling. The transmission cooler sits in front of the radiator so bigger fans should also improve transmission cooling. If you haven't got the tow package check your spare tire, many models only have a compact spare that is not rated for towing.

My owners manual says you also need a weight distributing hitch for trailers over 3,500lbs. If you have the factory tow package this is fine, if you have an aftermarket hitch you need to ensure it can support a WDH.

Forget the numbers and consider real life. The largest trailer I have towed was a 14 x 7 box trailer full of a Scout troops camping gear with Kayaks on top, it was probably in the 3,000lb range. This was absolutely fine on flat roads but not much fun over the mountains. The Hemi would definitely help on the uphill sections but the fundamental issue is the WK2 has a relatively short wheelbase so it can get lively to say the least on bumpy roads and long descents.

A 5,000lb RV should be OK if you are only using it a few times a year and take your time, if you plan to use it more regularly or in hilly terrain, it maybe better to look for something lighter.

#3 ·
The fan assemblies are so different that its impractical to retrofit/upgrade. An aftermarket aux transmission cooler is a simpler solution, if worried about cooling.

#4 ·
the original transmission cooler is quite effective so If you do this, place the auxiliary cooler in line with the original cooler and don't bypass it.

I have a buddy in Utah that does serious off roading in a WK2 and he just installed some big generic push fans in front of the radiator with a manual switch, They work very well in low speed, high stress scenarios. I'll ping him and try and get some photos and part numbers

#6 ·
If I wanted to tow a 5000# 21' trailer with kids etc I would get a 1/2-3/4 ton truck. As Bilko commented the short wheelbase could give you problems with descents and in windy conditions. It's no fun when the tail starts to wag the dog.

#9 ·
Its more than weight, check your owners manual for details on size constraints.

#10 ·
We were looking for a camper this spring. I was thinking pop up, wife wanted a completely self contained unit. Our plan was forest service and mountain adventures. Things to practice social distancing and we’re taking the Covid-19 seriously.

After seeing travel trailers of various conditions we ended up with 5th wheel that fits behind my F250 beautifully.

Last week I took the WK2 with my car trailer to pick up a commercial John Deere zero turn mower. It was the first longer trip, 250 miles one way. It handled the trailer fine both ways. I kept a close eye on transmission temperature. Every thing went off without a hitch.

I am glad I went the 5th wheel route for the camper. I would like to ditch the car trailer for a gooseneck flatbed. I also concluded I do not like pulling trailers with unibody vehicles.

#11 ·
Thanks - here are the specs:
Tongue weight 390 lbs vs 620 max.
Dry trailer weight 4005 lbs (5000 loaded) vs. 6200 max. (approximately within 80% of the max).
Payload will be about 900 lbs vs. 1050 max.
Frontal area will be 53 sqft vs. 55 max.
Trailer length will be 21 ft vs. 'back of the envelope' calculation of wheel base (in inches, 115") divided by 5 equals 23 feet as theoretical limit.

Final thing to check will be front and rear axle load and total weight on the day of, but I feel with the OEM weight distribution hitch this should be ok.

Again this is a fairly straight (highway) and short pull (1.5 hours going 90 km/hr).

I feel I am well within the capabilities of the jeep...

Will post some pics once accomplished!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.