Let's see if aftermarket warranties are worth the paper they are written on - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
athflying

2011 WK 

Let's see if aftermarket warranties are worth the paper they are written on

My newish to me WK2 is going back to the dealer (non jeep) I bought with the following complaints.
1. Front end wobble over bumps
2. Rear end clunking
3. Intermittent starting issues
4. Oil leak

Due to the complexity of the newer GC and being able to get warranty for $2k for 150k miles or 7 years... One major repair would pay the cost. This will be my first claim... Fingers crossed. I know most get a bad rap, hopefully just unrealistic expectations and not knowing what they were getting.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, RWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Bilko

Isn't there a pre-existing condition clause? There are usually limits on the the cover for each part of the car so I would read coverage details a few times before you sign up.

What is the intermittent starting issue is it this, if so there is a cheap fix.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...p0572-4332905/
post #3 of 17 Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 PM
tampamark
2015 WK 

Who is your extended coverage from?

Depending on your policy and the excluded items listed in your contract this could be good or bad.

You should prepare yourself now by taking a hard look at your paperwork. Oil leaks are usually because of failed seals (head/timing/various other joints) and among the first items not covered. If you have Maxcare Plus it is covered!

I know my Maxcare Plus Mopar coverage includes shocks should the front or rear require, but other aftermarket plans sometimes do not. Again, only your specific paperwork will answer that question, not to mention it depends on what needs to be fixed.

Coming from experience here, my Mercury extended coverage on a previous BMW had a 30 day waiting period, basically to make sure you didn't sign up with issues and then immediately want to get them fixed (pre-existing as Bilko mentioned). I had a claim after 3 months and they decided to jack me around saying that it was pre-existing condition for a leaking part, simply because they said it had significant build-up. Anyway, went round and round and I lost. Some other items went through without a hitch.

My point with that is make sure you don't have a waiting period listed! You file a claim for items in that period and they will never be covered later as they are identified as pre-existing.

2000 TJ Sahara (sold)
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit - 6 cylinder Gas

post #4 of 17 Old 11-14-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
athflying

2011 WK 

It's Advantage Care through Fortegra. It's a "Total Exclusionary" plan so only things not covered are specifically laid out. Mostly wear items and cosmetics. Gaskets and seals are covered. I read through the contract and the only thing I see about a waiting period or pre existing issues is what they call a validation period. Mine is 0, but I guess they could of added in a time frame that any breakdown would not be covered.

The intermittent starting issue....the first week I brought her home, I had no issues. Then leaving work one night it didn't start the first time I hit the push button, but fired right up the second time. Since that time, it's progressively gotten more frequent that it happens, but it's typically only when it's sat for awhile which leads me to believe it's possibly a fuel pump/pressure issue, but dunno. I read through all the threads around the issue and decided best to let them look at it. Normally I DIY most things, but I have two kids under 4 and I just don't have the time I used to. What little free time I get, rather do fun stuff with the family and I paid for the warranty, might as well get my money's worth.

Going back to this warranty (insurance policy). I didn't buy it the day I bought the vehicle...it was offered and let them know I wanted to think about it and research. I found three different distinct opinions about extended warranties in general:
1. The house always wins and this warranty (actually a form of insurance) is a waste of money and you are better off taking the $2k it cost and investing, then tapping that fund when needed for repairs
2. Run far away, they will deny all claims and it's nothing but a headache
3. It's the best thing since sliced bread and saved me thousands

I plan on keeping her for at least 5 years and reading through the forums and seeing the level of complexity with the electronics and accessories, I figured I would easily spend $2k on repairs in that time frame so it seemed to make sense to me financially. The real question was, would they actually cover those repairs when the time came. That remains to be seen, but I spoke to the dealer at length and I opted to trust them. For one, they are a local indie used car dealer that mostly deals in high end cars and have a phenomenal reputation locally. Secondly, the service manager was willing to show me about 6 months worth of claims that they processed for other customers. I brought up my concerns regarding the reputation of extended warranties and the difficulty many express getting repairs covered. His explanation....you only hear about the bad experiences and everyone immediately rushes to the internet to complain. I have worked in service related industries for years and agree with that, however he was also trying to get me to buy it...soo. I ultimately decided to take the chance. $2k for 7 years worth of coverage seems like it was well worth it...time will tell.

In regards to my first claim, I will discuss with them to see if I should just have them look at the oil leak and starting issue for now, hopefully avoid raising to many eye brows. The suspension issues I may have to pay out of pocket anyway as they do NOT cover shock absorbers and I may be wanting to do some upgrades anyway.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-14-2018, 07:29 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are quite a few companies offering extended warranties and many are difficult to work with giving the industry a deserving bad rep. Many go belly up leaving the customers out on the street. Those sold by the dealer, and you go back to the dealer for work, typically work better. A few here use RT 66 with good results.

MOPAR plans always seem to work well, the Max Care ones being the best. If you shop around they are competitively priced and you are not tied to a specific dealer. Florida won't let you shop around, however. I'd be interested in hearing the results of Fortegra.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 17 Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
athflying

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There are quite a few companies offering extended warranties and many are difficult to work with giving the industry a deserving bad rep. Many go belly up leaving the customers out on the street. Those sold by the dealer, and you go back to the dealer for work, typically work better. A few here use RT 66 with good results.

MOPAR plans always seem to work well, the Max Care ones being the best. If you shop around they are competitively priced and you are not tied to a specific dealer. Florida won't let you shop around, however. I'd be interested in hearing the results of Fortegra.
It's a 2011 so figured my options were limited. I did look in to the RT66 plans but for the $$ didn't cover near as much. Then again if Fortegra turns out to be a bust then doesn't really matter what they claim to cover.

Will update when I hear back.

post #7 of 17 Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Bilko

The starting issue sounds like the same thing I had, I to thought it would be the full pump not running after initially pressurization but it turned out to be the brake light switch, have a look at this. if this is the problem its a 10 minute fix and $15 part.

Regarding aftermarket warranties, Often filling in and following up on the claims is more time consuming than just fixing the problem.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-14-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
athflying

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
The starting issue sounds like the same thing I had, I to thought it would be the full pump not running after initially pressurization but it turned out to be the brake light switch, have a look at this. if this is the problem its a 10 minute fix and $15 part.

Regarding aftermarket warranties, Often filling in and following up on the claims is more time consuming than just fixing the problem.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had anybody the other symptoms, just doesn't want to start the first try. Going to let them look at it and see what they come up with and go from there.

post #9 of 17 Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 PM
tampamark
2015 WK 

Sounds like you have a good handle on the contract, now it is time for the rubber to meet the road! If you put $2000 in the market it would be worth less unless you play shorts...

Like ColdCase and you said, results can be all over the map. I bought a plan back in 2002 from Warranty Gold, that is one of the firms that went out of business as CC mentioned. Fortunately I paid by Credit Card, the minute I heard the news I filed a claim with the credit card company. I put in the claim based on WG defaulting on the contract and removed the prorated amount I was covered (6 months). The CC refunded my money, those that paid cash or non-CC transactions were screwed, the few who filed claims immediately were able to get money back prior to the accounts freezing. Big fan of paying for everything on CC.

Fast forward 8 years and my second foray into extended coverage was for a previous BMW and with Mercury Insurance, a pretty good company actually. That is the policy that pulled the pre-existing condition 3 months into the policy, other than that my claims went without a hitch. Paid $2400 for a 2 year policy, had payouts of $1800 and when I sold the car cancelled and got back a prorate of $400. I was slightly upside down but I bought it for the calamity coverage, I never had a nuclear meltdown of the engine. I think if you have any insurance policy and nearly break even it is all good.

When I disputed the Mercury pre-existing rejection I called to argue with them and ended up working with an arbitration dept (one guy). Managed to change the outcome to some degree, not all the way like I wanted, but if you find yourself in that situation know that there may be some negotiation.

2000 TJ Sahara (sold)
post #10 of 17 Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
athflying

2011 WK 

Update: Per dealership they found the following issues.

1. Oil pan gasket leak
2. Water pump gasket leak
3. Fuel pump relay Replace
4. Front struts leaking

They are getting me a rental car as they are closing for holiday and won't do repairs til next week. They have not filed the claim with Fortegra, but seemed confident won't be an issue .

post #11 of 17 Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
athflying

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athflying View Post
Update: Per dealership they found the following issues.

1. Oil pan gasket leak
2. Water pump gasket leak
3. Fuel pump relay Replace
4. Front struts leaking

They are getting me a rental car as they are closing for holiday and won't do repairs til next week. They have not filed the claim with Fortegra, but seemed confident won't be an issue .
Got Jeep back, warranty company refused claim stating pre existing. I kinda think BS as I can't find a pre existing clause in contract but dealership took care of all repairs at no charge to me. My only complaint, they only replaced passenger side front strut. Will most likely replace other as it has 43k miles on it.

post #12 of 17 Old 12-06-2018, 12:15 PM
electrum

2013 WK 

so... sounds like the warranty isn't worth the paper its written on since they said 'pre-existing' instead of 'we don't cover gaskets'.
thats a bummer.. hope you didn't pay too much for the warranty plan.

gone: 91 YJ 4.0, 00 XJ 4.0, 04 WJ 4.0
gone: 08 Charger SRT8 SuperBee
99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7
post #13 of 17 Old 12-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Norcim
2014 WK 

Garage
My extended warranty is through the dealer group I bought my 2014 Overland from earlier this year. One guy owns a bunch of dealers (lots of different manufacturers) and so they offer a plan that covers about everything but normal wear and tear (tires, wipers, light bulbs, etc...) and operator caused issues, with a $100 deductible no matter how much they do on each repair. Roughly $2k for 2 years/24,000 miles and it can be extended before it expires.
I've had mine in for 2 things so far and they've been great with both of them. They took a bit of time to figure out my radio needed to be replaced but they did it. That was a pre-existing issue.
I had a weird moaning under the hood when the engine was fully warmed up that they attributed to a loose engine mount. They replaced it no problem.
I have a small list of things I've been keeping that will get fixed on my next trip there. Several unrelated things including my fuel filler door is floppy, my UConnect mirror has no power at all and my memory seats seem to have a mind of their own and randomly choose a setting when I unlock the doors.
So far so good with my extended warranty thing.

Current: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland V6
Previous: 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6
post #14 of 17 Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 PM
tampamark
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum View Post
so... sounds like the warranty isn't worth the paper its written on since they said 'pre-existing' instead of 'we don't cover gaskets'.
First of all, as much as I hate to agree with the insurance company (that is what this is, not a warranty), every issue he listed WAS pre-existing. The OP was warned by several of us, he made it real easy for the insurance claim to be denied. You can't buy an extended coverage plan and after 2 weeks into it open a claim for an oil leak, water pump leak, strut problem, and fuel pump issue. Come on man, all those items couldn't possibly go from perfect to fail in that short of a time.

The reason the dealer took care of this is for the same reason it was denied, they sold him the vehicle with those pre-existing problems. Be thankful they recognized the truth and stepped up to the plate. So many folks have lambasted dealers for poor service (rightfully so in some instances) it is good to see the brand is in good hands with this one.

The OP has 7 years with this coverage, once he is deeper into the contract the better this should get. My advice to the OP, if something pops up and it isn't something that needs to be done right away, wait it out for 6 months.

2000 TJ Sahara (sold)
post #15 of 17 Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
athflying

2011 WK 

I wasn't bashing the warranty company except that I did read EVERY word of the contract and their was no pre existing conditions clause, only that there could be a "waiting period" before coverage would kick in. Mine had a fat zero there and I confirmed with dealer that coverage was effective immediately. I also discussed with them filing the claim so soon and they didn't think it would be a problem. In the end, they took care of the issues, gave me a rental car while they had it, and cost me zero out of pocket. There willingness to take care of me and the car only instilled more faith that they stand behind what they sell and while this particular incident the insurance claim was denied, I don't expect issues in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum View Post
First of all, as much as I hate to agree with the insurance company (that is what this is, not a warranty), every issue he listed WAS pre-existing. The OP was warned by several of us, he made it real easy for the insurance claim to be denied. You can't buy an extended coverage plan and after 2 weeks into it open a claim for an oil leak, water pump leak, strut problem, and fuel pump issue. Come on man, all those items couldn't possibly go from perfect to fail in that short of a time.

The reason the dealer took care of this is for the same reason it was denied, they sold him the vehicle with those pre-existing problems. Be thankful they recognized the truth and stepped up to the plate. So many folks have lambasted dealers for poor service (rightfully so in some instances) it is good to see the brand is in good hands with this one.

The OP has 7 years with this coverage, once he is deeper into the contract the better this should get. My advice to the OP, if something pops up and it isn't something that needs to be done right away, wait it out for 6 months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in