Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Just ordered a 2021 Summit, what's different with it?

4K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I went into the dealership today intent on putting in an order for a 2020 Summit with the options I want, and then was told that it's too late to get a 2020, and the options (and engine) that I want aren't really available in my area so I went ahead and ordered a 2021 Summit with the 5.7L Hemi, platinum group and I got it in the color I want which is the Ivory tri-coat. What do we know that is different on the 2021? I know there's so much speculation but what will be different that is known? Is it known if we'll see the 5th generation uConnect radio, or if it actually will be built on the Alpha Romero suspension/Chassis? My sales guy that I know and trust seems to think it's just going to be a new year with a few minor changes and that 2022 will be a complete redesign, but another friend that works for FCA is under the impression that 2021 is the redesign year. I'm not so sure that it will use the WG designation, as my order code for the option I got (4x4 Summit with a 5.7L) says WKJT74. Any input?

#4 ·
#8 ·
Chrysler retiree here and I just got a notification from Company Car that we are allowed to order some 2021 Jeeps at this time. Not the GC so far. However I logged on and all the Code Guides are there. These are the books with all the 3 letter designations of options to be ordered and prices and models and what options are allowed for what model.

I have a 2020 GC Trailhawk and pulled the CG for the 2021 model GCs. They look identical, the price for what I have for 2020 went up $13 for 2021. I am sure people here would love for me to post the code guides but I cannot in all good conscience. Looks like no change for 2021 really. Radio could be updated but who knows.

Reactions: sabre364
#18 ·
The Jeep on line compare tools have a couple errors, so best to verify everything important to you with a dealer.

There aren't many that buy a Summit for off road, is more a luxury, quiet, street machine ready for nasty weather. One can option out a Laredo for similar function as a Limited for about $3k saving, same with the transition from Limited to Overland. That better quality Summit leather interior trim costs some money. Those wheels and performance tires are a lot of money. Summits have more sound insulation, rear acoustic dampening glass, 19 speaker sound. Its has a complete set of floor mats instead of slush mats... illuminated sill plates... headlight washers... drivetrain wise, not different than the Trailhawk.

Reactions: Judgeno1
#22 ·
The Jeep on line compare tools have a couple errors, so best to verify everything important to you with a dealer.

There aren't many that buy a Summit for off road, is more a luxury, quiet, street machine ready for nasty weather. One can option out a Laredo for similar function as a Limited for about $3k saving, same with the transition from Limited to Overland. That better quality Summit leather interior trim costs some money. Those wheels and performance tires are a lot of money. Summits have more sound insulation, rear acoustic dampening glass, 19 speaker sound. Its has a complete set of floor mats instead of slush mats... illuminated sill plates... headlight washers... drivetrain wise, not different than the Trailhawk.
I didn't really buy it with the intention of going off road much, I just got 4x4 so that in case I ever need it, I have it. :)

#23 ·
Me either, mine is a cross country towing + nasty weather rig. I added the skid plates to provide some protection from deep snow and snow banks.

#27 ·
At on time the ELSD was std ion the summit, now I think its only on the V8. At one time the only way to get ELSD with a V6 was on a trailhawk. At one time ELSD was restricted to Overlands and above. One needs a score card to keep up :). A V8 Summit should hsve the same drivetrain as the trailhawk. FCA confirmed awhile ago that all the air suspensions are the same. The do vary from year to year, however.

I don't think an ORA package is available on a Summit, those fender cladding gets in the way and the front facia is not removable..

#28 ·
At on time the ELSD was std ion the summit, now I think its only on the V8. At one time the only way to get ELSD with a V6 was on a trailhawk. At one time ELSD was restricted to Overlands and above. One needs a score card to keep up :). A V8 Summit should hsve the same drivetrain as the trailhawk. FCA confirmed awhile ago that all the air suspensions are the same. The do vary from year to year, however.

I don't think an ORA package is available on a Summit, those fender cladding gets in the way and the front facia is not removable..
I believe this is not the case nor was the case for 2020. I just priced out a 2021 Summit with the V8 and package ELSD, The larger rear axle and Quadra Drive II are not included on the build sheet. This is the FCA company car site for company lease orders. We do not go through a dealer but order directly from FCA. Yes AWY, off-road Adventure II is not available on the Summit but is on the Overland. Summit does have Quadra-lift (SER) but Air suspension does not mean ELSD which is package DSF. Separate packages. So yes the air suspensions (only) are the same but not the other stuff.

I tried to attach 2 images showing what's standard on the Summit as opposed to the TH. No ELSD or Quadra Drive for the Summit. This gets very complicated and I have been ordering cars since the 1980's. :)

I have owned a 2016, 2018, 2019 and now a 2020 TrailHawk. We generally get a new vehicle every year.

Attachments

#29 ·
Thanks, as once was said, best to check with dealer or someone with access to the order sheet to confirm what you want is available in the model you are thinking about. FCA has routinely dropped features from standard equipment or options lists instead of raising prices. What we saw on order sheets in 2011 and 2014 is a bit different than what we see today, and then restrictions changed from week to week. Just saying that, regardless of what Jeep publishes publicly and sales associates may claim, only the dealer staff that does ordering or someone with access to the official order sheet and tell for sure. Then the dealer has to submit a draft order to see if there are any restrictions. When FCA says looks good, then you can be pretty much assured that you will eventually get what you want.

So you are saying there is no way to get ELSD in a 2021 Summit? A Summit with ELSD will have the same drivetrain and suspension as a Trialhawk. Don't let the extended ride height words fool you, as they are all the same now days.

This 2020 feature availability chart shows QD was a Summit option but part of an Overland package. Summit also had a skid plate option in 2020. I haven't seen the equivalent detail for 2021, the usual insiders don't seem to have access or they have not been published. Now it also doesn't show QD to be available in a Trailhawk in the table, but mentions it in the text... but I don't think the text is completely accurate. I've become more and more skeptical about what FCA published over the years. Sometimes you can check what's listed in the parts book to get some clarification..... :)

Attachments

#31 ·
I am not sure who issues the feature availability charts but I have looked at them a few times and they are not totally correct. The code guides are the bible for car ordering and before on-line ordering, they were what dealers used to order from. They are reissued multiple times a year as stuff changes.

I would post one with the prices blocked out but the main page says this:

© 2020 FCA US LLC, All Rights Reserved. IT IS FOR THE USE OF FCA AND ITS AUTHORIZED DEALERS ONLY AND MAY
NOT BE OTHERWISE USED, RELEASED, OR REPRINTED WITHOUT FCA PRIOR PERMISSION.
ORDERS ARE ACCEPTED ONLY WHEN VEHICLES ARE SHIPPED BY THE FACTORY.
© 2020 FCA US LLC, All Rights Reserved.
JEEP
GRAND
CHEROKEE

I have code guides going back several years for the Jeep GC. Until 2020 there was a package ADL, Skid Plates and it was available for the Summit but that package is gone for 2021. ADL are only in a group called AWY Off-Road Adventure II and this is only available on the Limited or Overland. The actual order process is all based on these 3 letter codes which date way back. So no skid plates for the Summit in 2021.

I looked at 2019, 2020 and 2021 CGs. I see no way a summit could (according to the data I have) be ordered with Quadra Drive II (AWB) or ELSD (DSF). Summit does have Quadra-Lift (SER) as standard.

I had a 2018 and 2019 and 2020 Trailhawk and all came standard with ELSD and Quadra-Drive II, verified on Monroney label and all had the V6.

Back when we ordered Chrysler lease vehicles on paper forms they printed out the code guides, put them in binders and you checked them out to take home and discuss with the wife. Then filled out the paper order and at work a Chrysler corporate sales person checked the form for errors and made sure you ordered what you wanted. It's complex. Once your order is in, it can't generally be cancelled and if you get the car and something you wanted is not there, too bad for you.

FCA lease is for FCA management or management retirees. It's a one payment per month that pays for everything but gas. New car every year, unlimited miles, plates and registration, insurance, loner car when in the shop and all maintenance.

I started at Chrysler in 1976 in Manufacturing Group IT, we did data center IT for all assembly and stamping plants. Big data center was at Outer Drive and Mt. Elliot in Detroit. Sales data center was in Highland Park MI and Parts Data Center was in Centerline MI. All 3 totally separate. All data centers merged during the Iacocca days. I spent time at all the assembly plants, several are no longer there, Newark DE, St Louis MO, Jefferson in Detroit, Dodge Truck and the wonderful Hamtramck plant built by the Dodge Brothers and Sterling Heights plant.

Assembly plants used to have IBM mainframe computers in the plant that ran the lines and printed out multi-colored broadcast sheets you would sometimes find stuffed under a seat or someplace. If the mainframe crashed, the whole plant stopped. This was very very bad. My group worked on software that ran the lines and other stuff there. Those were the days. :)

Reactions: Judgeno1
#32 ·
There used to be a different order sheet for leasing and built to order retail? Maybe that was fleet sales I was thinking.

#33 ·
I was not quite finished with my last post when I accidentally posted it so there may be more there. I only ordered cars for company lease which had nothing to do with the public. It was a HUGE relief when they moved it on-line and off of paper.

#39 ·
I've been trying to find a 2018+ used Limited or Overland V6 with QDII for over a year. I told my friend at the dealership any color as long as it had black interior.

He can't find one.

The inability to find one has left me no choice but to fix all my little issues on my WK and keep waiting.

#40 ·
I think the only way to get QD with a V6 on a 2018 or 2019 is via a Trailhawk or an off road adventure II package. Not many Overlands were built with ORAII, usually a special order, but look for those. You may have to compromise to a V8, although the V8 Overland with QD was usually a special order too and may also be rare.

Not clear what you can get in a 2020.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.