Joys of Airride 2013 Summit - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Mackinback
2013 WK 

Joys of Airride 2013 Summit

So I just recently had a airbag blowout.. 120,004. haha and minutes after talking about driving the other vehicle due to its low miles.

Anyways, its sitting at the shop with a crazy quote.. Now I know they are going with dealer parts and I'm tempted to let them do the one side to get me back up and running and plan on the other side myself, that is if I can find the deets on the job. It literally seems like a 'unplug compressor to let air out, remove airline, untwist old bag and remove' and repeat reverse order for new bag..
But the shop was telling me there is calibrating needed after.. Is this true?

-MacK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 09:11 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinback View Post
So I just recently had a airbag blowout.. 120,004. haha and minutes after talking about driving the other vehicle due to its low miles.

Anyways, its sitting at the shop with a crazy quote.. Now I know they are going with dealer parts and I'm tempted to let them do the one side to get me back up and running and plan on the other side myself, that is if I can find the deets on the job. It literally seems like a 'unplug compressor to let air out, remove airline, untwist old bag and remove' and repeat reverse order for new bag..
But the shop was telling me there is calibrating needed after.. Is this true?

-MacK
I don't know, but subscribed for the future!
post #3 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The rear bags will pretty much fall out when you loosen the shock. Sometimes they stick to the control arm and tear. Shops will use a scanner routine to disable the suspension and, if the bag is intact, suck the nitrogen out of the bag into the reservoir tank for reuse. There is a check valve fitting on the air line which you do not remove from the line, and another schrader style fitting on the bag I think. You unscrew the bag from the fitting, not much if any nitrogen will be left.

There are alignment tabs on the new bag that slides into control arm slots.

There is a fill procedure to replace lost nitrogen, and a method to calculate the fill level which uses a scanner (Air Mass). There is a long thread around here somewhere with details and the tools you need. It may be indexed in the maintenance sticky thread. The fronts are a little more involved, but its like replacing a traditional strut.

So basically its like replacing coil springs and struts plus disconnecting the air lines and refilling with high grade nitrogen.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 12:03 PM
Chuckmiller

Nitrogen .. scanner .. things a driveway DIY'er won't have.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-30-2020, 12:43 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckmiller View Post
Nitrogen .. scanner .. things a driveway DIY'er won't have.
Nitrogen may be inconvenient as I donít think it is available in smaller bottles. But I think both AlfaOBD and Appcar can run the routines. Those are pretty much necessary tools in the toolbox for anyone doing DIY WK2 maintenance Anyway.
WK2Overland4X4 likes this.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-01-2020, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Mackinback
2013 WK 

Well after the first shop ended up backing out of the repair, I have another shop willing to work (family friend). And they have nitrogen fill..
I decided to do the 'shocks' myself to save some $.. But was forced to go to dealer for the shocks.. If only I had a week and could order online.. haha

So got started on the 'bad side' and this is what I see. This blown bag would be a piece.. Wish I had picked up the bags today!
The other side still intact even after dropping the shock still remained connected. So I'll have to look for the sticky and decide if I'll just spend the $300ish for the shop to install and config the system.

On a side note.. Asked for a quote on Front UCA.. Guess it's over a 9hr book job?? lol ouch!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7610.jpg   IMG_7614.jpg  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Mackinback
2013 WK 

So it was a breeze replacing the blown bag.. Working in the street so when flipping the Jeep to do the other side I heard a pop as the new spring filled up..
I am now trying to replace the other bag but it has pressure.. Is there a method (without scanner) to remove the pressure?
I wonder if just compressing the arm as much as I can and then removing the airride fuse is enough? Not sure how much pressure would be in it still?

MacK
post #8 of 16 Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The quick way, if you don't care about the old bag, is to put a hole in it

post #9 of 16 Old 07-10-2020, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Mackinback
2013 WK 

Haha No I don't much care about it. But after hearing the force of it popping and reading warnings about the PSI cautions, how could I safely do this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7710.jpg  
post #10 of 16 Old 07-11-2020, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Mackinback
2013 WK 

So progress today.. Got a hold of a buddy with a scanner worth to get the job done..
We drained all 4 corners.. And again easy job swapping air spring..
Buuuutt when trying to fill them back up we kept getting timeout errors and very little lift.. My guess is there was too much lost..

So at least I got the bags replaced.. I'll take it to the dealer next week for filling and calibration.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-12-2020, 08:30 PM
jeepjeepster

Kinda wild those bags dont last longer than they do. I put $80 air lift airbags in my liberty in 2005.... Theyre still doing great.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #12 of 16 Old 07-12-2020, 09:55 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The bags seem last forever unless they get damaged by debris, or stick to the control arm and tear when jacking. Supplemental air bags are relatively low pressure and are not carrying the entire load.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
... or stick to the control arm and tear when jacking. ....
Can you give me more info on this? The one time I have been under it, I set height to OR2 and then disabled air suspension, but that was up on ramps.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-13-2020, 09:35 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

This can happen when you remove a shock without supporting the lower control arm. Rarely otherwise as the pressure will Hold it tight enough.

post #15 of 16 Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My brother went through expensive hell on a Nissan Armada some years ago, Multiple failures. Eventually it turned out that there was a sensor/computer issue that would occasionally overpressure the bags.

Just saying this to suggest keeping an eye on things.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in