Jeep WK2 Sound System - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
bucks09wk
2009 WK 

Garage
Jeep WK2 Sound System

Hi,

I am in the market in buying a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee here is what is going on.

I have the option for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (White with 20 inch Black Wheels)

OR

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Grey with 20 inch Grey Wheels)

I don't care about the limited has compared to an altitude expect for the speaker system. (506 Watt Amp with Sub)

Is the 506 Watt Amp with Sub that much better than the standard 6 speaker system?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Hollywood3

Sound systems are easily upgradeable at a fair price as opposed to new wheels, grille, etc that set the altitude style package apart. I wouldn't buy a car based on the stereo system honestly. I am a huge car stereo guy but you can put the JL Audio stealth box in for 500 with the amp into the altitude ... my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
bucks09wk
2009 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Sound systems are easily upgradeable at a fair price as opposed to new wheels, grille, etc that set the altitude style package apart. I wouldn't buy a car based on the stereo system honestly. I am a huge car stereo guy but you can put the JL Audio stealth box in for 500 with the amp into the altitude ... my 2 cents

Yeah, I think so too. Does anyone know how to add the factory sub to an Altitude with the 6 speaker system?

post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Hollywood3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks09wk View Post
Yeah, I think so too. Does anyone know how to add the factory sub to an Altitude with the 6 speaker system?
The factory sub is a JL Audio stealth series

post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 11:53 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

2011-2013 models had an all digital interface making audio upgrades difficult short of replacing a bunch of stuff.

For 2014 they went to a more traditional audio interface but the base system radio does not have pre-amp or sub woofer outputs. The factory puts a separate amp in the premium systems that has sub outputs and drives all the speakers. Quite a bundle of wires running from the radio to the amp.

You'd have to insert at least a speaker level subwoofer amp along with the speaker (or a powered sub). I think JL used to sell a sub and enclosure that fit the cargo area cavity, specifically designed for the WK2, but I haven't kept up with whats available.

The OEM amp has CAN bus controls, so you'll probably have to use something aftermarket instead. Lots of options available. Running wires can be a PITA, but nothing unusual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014_wk_base_audio_diagram.pdf (194.7 KB, 11 views)

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Tags
jeep , speakers , wk2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in