Jeep - made the right call - JeepForum.com
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
TXTrailhawk

Jeep - made the right call

Wanted to share a happy Jeep story: For the last ten years or so I drove a BMW M3 and M4, and they were great. Around the end of last year though, started getting itchy for something a) different and b) more capable in some of the extremes that 2020 delivered. So around the end of December, we bought a GC Trailhawk.

Only six weeks later, it's already been in two once-in-a-decade snowstorms in Texas, traveled hundreds of miles over icy roads, and over the past week has been rescuing people and ferrying supplies around our snowpocalypse, made more interesting by the lack of infrastructure. So just wanted to say I'm glad we're now part of the Jeep family, and love the GC already; clearly the Jeep tribe is on to something

Attached Images

2021 Diamond Black GC Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 AM
Laban

Hi from Florida and congrats on your new wheels. Looking good! How awesome that you have been putting it to such good use already.
Now what is all that white stuff in your pics?? JK, 86˚ here right now but expecting a cold front coming through this weekend. (70ís, brrr
Iíve been researching for months and am looking to get into a 2021 GC Trailhawk. First Jeep for me, getting excited! The current model is tried and true, and good looking too, IMHO. Looks like I will be placing a factory order shortly to get exactly what I want, while they are still available. Did you get the V6 or the V8?
TXTrailhawk likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
TXTrailhawk

V8 - V6 is supposed to be great too, but wanted the extra power and torque. It's been great, and 20 mpg on the highway at 75 or so.

Cheers

2021 Diamond Black GC Trailhawk

post #4 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 01:53 PM
Homer1

Congratulations and enjoy...I waited a year and a half after I got my GCTrailhawk before i got some snow to drive through.. but still, find myself behind ford econoline vans "drifting" even on the straightaway...lol....
TXTrailhawk likes this.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #5 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 02:33 PM
Laban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTrailhawk View Post
V8 - V6 is supposed to be great too, but wanted the extra power and torque. It's been great, and 20 mpg on the highway at 75 or so.

Cheers
Great choice, thatís what Iím getting. Not a need, just a want and why not, who knows how long that sweet Hemi will be available😃
TXTrailhawk likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 03:50 PM
rikwynn

2020 WK 

Me too

For years I drove tuned BMW 335s and finally an Audi S4 before buying my 2020 GC Trailhawk. Absolutely love the Jeep. The build quality is every bit as good as the BMW and Audi. Its quiet and handles really well even with Wranglers on it. The safety suite is great and I love the laser cruise. The same thing from Audi or BMW wold cost 50% more. I settled on the V8 to have the extra power and towing.

Enjoy.

Quote:
Wanted to share a happy Jeep story: For the last ten years or so I drove a BMW M3 and M4, and they were great. Around the end of last year though, started getting itchy for something a) different and b) more capable in some of the extremes that 2020 delivered. So around the end of December, we bought a GC Trailhawk.

Only six weeks later, it's already been in two once-in-a-decade snowstorms in Texas, traveled hundreds of miles over icy roads, and over the past week has been rescuing people and ferrying supplies around our snowpocalypse, made more interesting by the lack of infrastructure. So just wanted to say I'm glad we're now part of the Jeep family, and love the GC already; clearly the Jeep tribe is on to something
TXTrailhawk likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 06:13 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

When my daughter was born, my wife drove a Honda Civic, I drove a Ford sedan. We were in the Civic on the highway in traffic a couple weeks later with the baby, stopped right next to an 18-wheeler with tires above the door. That’s when I said “we need a bigger safer vehicle!”

We bought the ‘94 Laredo ZJ i6 4x4 for my wife and I was able to get through the work day without worrying. 1994 was a big snow year and we celebrated having the Jeep.

2 years later, after a job change, I had to buy a car for biz travel. I checked out the Ford Splorer and didn’t like it. So the ‘96 ZJ V8 joined the family. 96/97 winter saw a record-breaking snowfall and we both celebrated our Jeepiness which allowed us to get to and from in-laws when power went out in the frequent blizzards, and thru unplowed roads, me to customers 100s of miles away, and now with our newborn son. I fell in love with getting to places (the beach) where other vehicles could not go.

Both kids grew up in these vehicles and got their driver’s licenses in them. When rust (New England road salt) ate the cars, both kids were depressed to see them go to more patient owners. (The now-X-wife didn’t care.).

25 years later, after dabbling in other vehicles, throwing away so much money on inferior and less reliable 4x4 tech, I went back to the competent WK2 Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 4x4 Overland in 2017 and have never doubted my decision. It just works.
Aloha8, Homer1, ferntree and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 07:55 PM
kg19989
2020 WK 

Congrats on the Jeep! I replaced my 2019 Summit (hemi) for a 2020 Trailhawk (V6). While I will tell you that I enjoyed the hemi, I don't really miss it. But I don't tow anything either. Here in San Antonio it definitely got out to use this week. I pulled up to an E350 stick on an icy hill and asked him if he needed help. He said help was on the way so I rolled up my window and gently rolled up the hill. My gut tells me he left I went straight to the Jeep dealership.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Tarheel6521 and TXTrailhawk like this.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-19-2021, 11:03 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its always nice when you return from a business trip after/during a blizzard to the WK2 waiting in an uncovered airport parking lot. While others are shoveling out or waiting for a tow, I just brush off the show and drive off

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #10 of 24 Old 02-20-2021, 06:53 AM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9496ZJs View Post
When my daughter was born, my wife drove a Honda Civic, I drove a Ford sedan. We were in the Civic on the highway in traffic a couple weeks later with the baby, stopped right next to an 18-wheeler with tires above the door. Thatís when I said ďwe need a bigger safer vehicle!Ē

We bought the Ď94 Laredo ZJ i6 4x4 for my wife and I was able to get through the work day without worrying. 1994 was a big snow year and we celebrated having the Jeep.

2 years later, after a job change, I had to buy a car for biz travel. I checked out the Ford Splorer and didnít like it. So the Ď96 ZJ V8 joined the family. 96/97 winter saw a record-breaking snowfall and we both celebrated our Jeepiness which allowed us to get to and from in-laws when power went out in the frequent blizzards, and thru unplowed roads, me to customers 100s of miles away, and now with our newborn son. I fell in love with getting to places (the beach) where other vehicles could not go.

Both kids grew up in these vehicles and got their driverís licenses in them. When rust (New England road salt) ate the cars, both kids were depressed to see them go to more patient owners. (The now-X-wife didnít care.).

25 years later, after dabbling in other vehicles, throwing away so much money on inferior and less reliable 4x4 tech, I went back to the competent WK2 Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 4x4 Overland in 2017 and have never doubted my decision. It just works.
Love that story! My daughter was born in that 96 blizzard Jan 6..we got i think 36"+ of snow, and nobody could get in and out of hospital. But I had a son w/ my brother to deal with, and I had my first Jeep-- a black 93 JGC Limited. I could drive to within walking distance of my house, where no plows had run yet, packed a bag, transferred my son to my aunts house, then back to the hospital for a couple nights. Cops pulled me over, as driving was prohibited...I showed my hospital wrist band and explained...he smiled and waved me on. On the 7th, the Eagles were in Dallas, so i settled in the room w/ my wife and new daughter (and half a case of sam adams ). I forgot the game result, so I looked it up...birds were slaughtered. Didn't notice.
TXTrailhawk likes this.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #11 of 24 Old 02-20-2021, 08:02 AM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
When I was looking for a ride, I was debating between a Ford Explorer and a WK2. I liked the WK2 a bit more. I am a Ford fan. However, I am happy with my choice of a WK2.

The heated seats and steering wheel are nice. Going anywhere I want is also a huge plus.
TXTrailhawk likes this.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #12 of 24 Old 02-20-2021, 10:12 AM
kg19989
2020 WK 

Hell yeah! We drive right by everyone else while they scratch their head and ask themselves why they didn't buy a GC.

TXTrailhawk likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-20-2021, 10:14 AM
kg19989
2020 WK 

It's also the ultimate compliment when people call you and ask if you can bring your Jeep to come pick them up because the weather is bad.

TXTrailhawk likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-20-2021, 12:58 PM
96GrandJeepers

My Jeep loves the snow!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2759c.jpg  

2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
2018 Cherokee Latitude Plus
1996 Grand Cherokee Limited ~ Sold 12/2018
post #15 of 24 Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:

Cheers
If you think it does well now, when those are gone or sooner if your budget allows, a bigger/better set of tires will blow your mind. The only downside is there's no room left for chains but I've never needed them anyway.
TXTrailhawk likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in