Introducing the new 2021 Commander, I mean... JGC L 3 row - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 Old 01-07-2021, 02:12 PM
DavidsCyclops

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ101586 View Post
Yes it will...

They specially state this is the Grand Cherokee L

Hence the L for long wheel base.

No different than the Escalade ESV or Yukon XL
I thought the L was for it will be the new WL instead of WK, I could be wrong though. From what I gather, they will all be the same length, but they will offer one with 3rd row seating and one with only 2 rows.

20 GC Sum 5.7 18500
14 GC Over 3.6 286383
05 GC Lar 3.7 412646

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 Old 01-07-2021, 05:48 PM
Bilko

All the so called insider sites are aligned that the 3 row version is likely to be launched 6-12 months ahead of the 2 row.

The three row first sort of makes sense when you see how many Explorers Ford are selling, Maybe Jeep are also trying to get into the Police Patrol car business where you need the extra length to pass the 75mph rear-end impact test.

The interiors look great, I am more interested in the underlying platform.I suspect that Jeep are going to target the upmarket SUV segment and sacrifice off-road capability. This makes business sense as the Wrangler evolves into a more practical daily use off-road capable option.
post #18 of 37 Old 01-07-2021, 06:09 PM
phil hunter

Looks like it has gotten too big for my purposes. I have no need for a third row and unless the 2 row is shorter, I'll not be interested it it, even though the interior is really nice.
Fast55 likes this.

post #19 of 37 Old 01-07-2021, 06:51 PM
Bilko

THat's my initial thought to, I am trying to decide if I should buy one of the last WK2s or go for the new option, I just don't need 3 rows of seats or that much cargo capacity. Personally one of the reasons I bought the WK2 was because I could buy it without all the screens and complicated controls. Then again I am probably in the minority. I need to work out where the 2021 version was designed, having grown up in Europe and experienced Alfas, Lancias, and Fiats, I have concerns that the WK3 is developed on the Alfa/Fiat platform may not last that long. The really scary scenario would be if the Italians developed the electronics. The Sunroof on my Fiat used to open if you hit a bump in the road and the AC would randomly dump the refrigerant into the cabin and the Dealer said this was expected behavior! Maybe I need to save up some money a get a Wrangler.
post #20 of 37 Old 01-07-2021, 07:00 PM
OldPaint

Garage
IMO, oink, oink. Third row seating appears close to worthless. Someone with such a need may as well get a van, or a Suburban.

May have to stick with WK2's for a few more years for my purpose... or as some say "You can't take it with you", and plan for a Wrangler Rubicon 392 Hemi in the future!
BigTizzie likes this.
post #21 of 37 Old 01-08-2021, 06:14 AM
PwnCall

Garage
As a young family we need all the extra space we can get and having captains chairs makes accessing the third row and even just getting in and out a lot easier.

I think this makes a lot of sense for a family with kids.

We will probably get one after they are a few years old as it saves a lot of money over buying new.
IUOEROB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 37 Old 01-08-2021, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsCyclops View Post
I thought the L was for it will be the new WL instead of WK, I could be wrong though. From what I gather, they will all be the same length, but they will offer one with 3rd row seating and one with only 2 rows.
I think the "L" is longer wheelbase (and I'll bet the same body/platform) as next Durango. But you can get it with 2 or 3 rows.
Then there will be the "normal" Grand Cherokee like we all have on its updated platform.
post #23 of 37 Old 01-08-2021, 07:13 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
From everything I've read, this is the new GC like it or not. There is no WK2 in its present or even revised form after the 2021 MY.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #24 of 37 Old 01-09-2021, 04:03 PM
Bent8
2011 WK 

Any one know what the underpinnings are on the new JGC-L ?
Are they from the Alpha Romero?
What about the new regular size JGC ?
Are they still using the Mercedes platform?
Looked everywhere and canít find any definitive info.
Thanks.
post #25 of 37 Old 01-09-2021, 04:29 PM
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
From everything I've read, this is the new GC like it or not. There is no WK2 in its present or even revised form after the 2021 MY.
What is posted is the "L" model (WL75); there is a new Grand Cherokee ('22 model - WL74 - two row vs three row) coming out in the late Summer/early Fall.
post #26 of 37 Old 01-09-2021, 04:59 PM
StanDaMan

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
Any one know what the underpinnings are on the new JGC-L ?
Are they from the Alpha Romero?
What about the new regular size JGC ?
Are they still using the Mercedes platform?
Looked everywhere and canít find any definitive info.
Thanks.
I've seen articles like this that say that the both WL vehicles will be based on some version of the Alfa Romeo Giorgio platform. I don't think I've seen any direct info from FCA as yet. Mercedes platform will be no more.

https://www.motor1.com/features/4425...rand-cherokee/

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Black Max"
post #27 of 37 Old 01-10-2021, 07:14 AM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
All the so called insider sites are aligned that the 3 row version is likely to be launched 6-12 months ahead of the 2 row.

The three row first sort of makes sense when you see how many Explorers Ford are selling, Maybe Jeep are also trying to get into the Police Patrol car business where you need the extra length to pass the 75mph rear-end impact test.

The interiors look great, I am more interested in the underlying platform.I suspect that Jeep are going to target the upmarket SUV segment and sacrifice off-road capability. This makes business sense as the Wrangler evolves into a more practical daily use off-road capable option.
The Durango is available as a police version. There are some thing I like over the Explorer in police packages. 1st, the Durango fuel. Tank is bigger. The Explorer is police package form is a bit more comfortable when you add a radio stack and computers.

For my personal vehicle I looked at tested both a Grand Cherokee and an Explorer. They tried selling the 3rd row seat. That was not a factor for me. I liked the Explorer but liked the Grand Cherokee more.

Currently my work vehicle is a pickup. Which is nice. However, not the most practical for what I do. I will be turning it in. In the meantime I think they will be issuing me a SUV. Which will either be an Explorer or Durango. Then, ordering me a new ride.

All that rambling, I doubt you will see many of the new Grand Cherokees as police vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
Well, I just watched it, and I gotta say, I love it.
It said "all new", so I'm guessing it is the WK3? being released in the L version first. The new tech seems amazing, heck wireless Carplay/Android Auto alone will sell a couple. Plus the overhead interior camera for families is cool. I love the HUD, have something similar in our Volvo S90. Plus hands free driving, 2' water fording, over 10" ground clearance, all good stuff. I guess there will only be 2 things wrong with it for me.
Too many of these 2 symbols $ and "
I am with you. I really like this generation. I can do without the L version. However, the third row or a bit more cabin room would be nice.

I will keep my current ride for a while. When it comes time I am fairly certain this is the direction I will head.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #28 of 37 Old 01-10-2021, 08:12 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoncd8 View Post
What is posted is the "L" model (WL75); there is a new Grand Cherokee ('22 model - WL74 - two row vs three row) coming out in the late Summer/early Fall.
So as I indicated, this is the new WL GC. The WK2 based on the Mercedes ML is gone. Both the WL74 and WL75 are based on the "Giorgio" platform, same as the Stelvio and Giulia. Sounds like this will be used on several Dodge/Jeep/Chyrsler updates. I'm not sure if that's good or bad at this point.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #29 of 37 Old 01-11-2021, 07:58 AM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

The WL74 (Grand Cherokee) is going to be the same size as the WK2. The WL75 (Grand Cherokee L) will be around the size of the Durango.

2014 Black GC Laredo - Retired
2015 Blue GC Limited - Retired
2018 Bright White GC Limited
post #30 of 37 Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost View Post
The WL74 (Grand Cherokee) is going to be the same size as the WK2. The WL75 (Grand Cherokee L) will be around the size of the Durango.
And I am assuming the 2022 Durango will be the exact same vehicle. I wonder if they will make a Shorter Durango, and a Durango L. Something needs to keep the Dodge name alive some more. And with the 4Xe arriving in almost everything RWD based soon (I assume) that would actually make a nice powertrain. Basically sits between the 2 current HEMIs (5.7/6.4) in performance, and has all the ECO benefits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in