I think I'm being scammed by the Dealership on repair costs. - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 07-15-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
dahatchh2

I think I'm being scammed by the Dealership on repair costs.

Alright, so I'm in the middle of a giant work related trip in my Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8 when it started losing power and mpg significantly. I finally found an open shop in Dayton, Ohio that would take a look at my Jeep. They informed me the cam an lifters were bad and need to be replaced. However, they couldn't get me in to repair it this week. So I paid them the diagnostic fee and took it to another Jeep Dealer in Dayton, they said they could get it fixed right away (within a day or 2)
The guy at the desk had originally quoted me $5500. The next day the quote suddenly jumped up to $7600. The guy informed me that it was because they discovered they needed to replace 2 cams and all the lifters. I then probed a bit and admitted that it only needs one cam. He said that he made a mistake. I then probed a bit further and he admitted that he had accidentally a bunch of extra lifters. It sounded awfully fishy to me. This all brought the price down a decent bit, but then he suddenly added a charge for a compression test and some other test. This was despite the fact that I already knew what was wrong with the engine. He then realized this and took the charge for the other test off, but left the charge for the compression test on. This raised the cost back up to $7300. Keep in mind, I had already paid the first shop to do all this. Not to mention, the guy at the desk had already told me that any testing they did would be absorbed into the quote I had been given. I then reminded him that he said he would not charge me for the extra parts he "accidentally added". They are also charging me 18hrs of labor! This brought the cost back down to $6529.
We are now 4 days into the project. I am from Colorado and currently stranded here at their mercy. I am very confused what to think at this point. I personally know very little about engines and don't even know what to be aware of.

I am hoping some of you with a lot more knowledge can take a look at these charges and let me know if they seem accurate or not.
Could both of my cams be bad? Are they charging me too much? Are they adding parts and labor that should not be there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Here is the link to the photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yZ7hTnmtY6YiMvuz6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-15-2020, 10:23 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Any dealer repairs are going to be costly. Perhaps someone here knows of a competent independent shop in the Dayton area.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 32 Old 07-15-2020, 11:22 PM
bts_wk2

Diagnose Fee

I think this is common in Jeep dealership, which I am not happy with. They charge me $200 diagnose fee if I refuse their quote, despite their troubleshoot right or wrong. I bring my car to other mechanic, and he solve the problem with simple thing. Looks like I donate $200 to dealer for nothing

post #4 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 AM
RedTrex
2014 WK 

I think they should not not charge you the $128 diagnostics from the other place. Then to charge you $500 for Comp./leakdown and another $623 to to pull the valve covers is pure rip off. Think they should work with you on that, but the Service Guy sounds like an *** and probably won't.

The rest is legit.

2003 Libby 2x4 (Gone)
2004 Libby 4x4 (Gone)
2013 Wrangler JKU (Gone)
2014 WK2 Ecodiesel (485 tq)
post #5 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 06:47 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahatchh2 View Post
... The guy informed me that it was because they discovered they needed to replace 2 cams and all the lifters. I then probed a bit and admitted that it only needs one cam. He said that he made a mistake. .
Run forest run.
First the 5.7 only has 1 cam! and IF it actually needs a cam and ALL lifters, just get another engine for half that price, installed. For what you paid them I would want photographic evidence of what is actually wrong with the engine.
Second those prices on parts are outrageous, no way a set of standard head bolts are hundreds of dollars.
How many miles are on it? Get a used engine with less miles and you will be ahead of the game all the way around in my opinion. Many junkyards will do the swap, and guarantee it for a year or so.
https://www.tristarengines.com/5-7-hemi-3420
gets you a complete rebuild engine for $4,000 at the worst case.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 10:58 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
^ This. Jaspers is another source for a complete remanufactured engine that will have a long warranty and be far less than that, or a junk yard drop out if money is tight. $7,600 is ridiculous.
Cutlass327 likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #7 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 11:02 AM
ceb1

Guys - many of you are forgetting that the OP is from Colorado and stranded in Ohio.

Maybe somebody from Dayton can step in and help this poor guy. I know what it is like to be stranded in a strange city and at the mercy of the dealer - it isn't pleasant and on top of that you have the COVID-19 stuff going on.

Dealers are expensive, but why should dealer #2 credit the OP the diagnostics done by the first dealer? They are in the business of making money AND what happens if the first diagnosis was wrong? They would be on the hook for that repair.
BigTizzie likes this.
post #8 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Contact Jeep Cares here on the Forum.

Pay for repairs with a credit card.

Demand a detailed itemized break down of the repair invoice, and have that analyzed by a trusted Dealership and Jeep Cares when you get back home. Dispute billing with credit card company if necessary.

An professional shop is not going to perform service work based upon another shops diagnostics.
gspfunk likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 11:30 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
Guys - many of you are forgetting that the OP is from Colorado and stranded in Ohio.

Maybe somebody from Dayton can step in and help this poor guy. I know what it is like to be stranded in a strange city and at the mercy of the dealer - it isn't pleasant and on top of that you have the COVID-19 stuff going on.

Dealers are expensive, but why should dealer #2 credit the OP the diagnostics done by the first dealer? They are in the business of making money AND what happens if the first diagnosis was wrong? They would be on the hook for that repair.
If he is stuck getting it fixed out of town, that will be a long wait I would bet. If it runs, what I personally would do is limp it home. If it doesn't run, I'd be calling local to that area shops and recycling yards.
There are a couple in that area on car-part.com for $2500-$3500 some with warranties.
Fast55 likes this.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 03:45 PM
emacca

Without rubbing salt into the wound, if your cam and lifterers were failing you would have had engine ticking noise (loud) long before you left on your journey,

I can’t believe it suddenly lost power and fuel economy because the cam and lifters suddenly failed

From my experience it would take months and many miles AND a noisey engine to get to that point

I think you have already started the repair, but I would have shipped the vehicle home and got a rental to continue with

Then dealt with it at home.

But then that’s me I guess
post #11 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Actually, his is not the first to go from running normally (and quiet), to totally DOA in the span of just a few miles. Sometimes you get a lot of warning, other times almost none.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #12 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah some are noisy but I've heard of quite a few on RAM and Cheby forums where the bearing seized and it didn't take long to damage the cam. By the time it got noisy it was too late, so drive it to a safe place.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #13 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
dahatchh2

Thank you all for all the input! It definitely helps clear some things up.

Thank you for pointing out the bit about my engine only having 1 cam, I was confused about that.
Unfortunately I am far from home and needed a quick fix (or at least a relatively quick fix). That's why when the dealer offered to have it up and running in 2 days, I jumped on that. 5 days later I am regretting my decision. I truly wish I was at home and would have had the time to look into a decent engine swap. That obviously would have been ideal. Even in my situation, I should have still looked into that. Its a bit late for that now, they said they should finally have it finished tomorrow.

Also... I posted a link to the itemized costs. On the engine breakdown sheet it refers to "Tappet Hydraulic". Out of pure curiosity, what is that?
And how many lifters does my jeep have? What are they labeled as on the engine breakdown sheet?

Thanks again for the help!!!
post #14 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Big Doug

The 5.7 has a set of 4 lifters that are yolked together. It mounts to the head and controls 2 cylinders. There is a front and a rear for each side, so you would need 2 of each part when replacing them all.
post #15 of 32 Old 07-16-2020, 08:13 PM
Big Doug

Each tappet hydraulic is the yoke of 4 lifters as I just mentioned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in