I was rear ended while stopped - JeepForum.com
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
JCE

2019 WK 

I was rear ended while stopped

I was rear ended yesterday while stopped at a red light. She was going at least 50mph. I'm waiting for the tow to the body shop but wanted to ask you all here if I should be concerned about chassis/frame damage? I know what to expect with my Charger with this kind of hit but know nothing about JGC's and accident damage performance yet. She had a huge aftermarket steel bumper / bullbar on her Jeep Wrangler and the hit was pretty hard. Luckily my four month old baby was ok, me on the other hand have back, neck and a hip problem now not to mention the hit to my emotions since I love my Jeep.

The Service 4WD system light and traction control light are on so I'm not sure if somehow the differentials got damaged or what, it does run and drive. Should I be preparing for frame damage with where you see the hit location? I see the tailgate is pushed up so I'm expecting some chassis flex.

----------------

Side note, this is the third new vehicle that has been hit with little to no miles on it in a row. I'm growing tired of how people drive in today's world. Slow down and pay attention...also if you look at your phone when you drive stop that immediately--you're putting people's safety and lives at risk which includes my baby daughter.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7857.jpg  

2016 Dodge Charger R/T
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
JCE

2019 WK 

Oh yea, here is her Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7855.jpg  

2016 Dodge Charger R/T
post #3 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Dang, that stinks.

If you have neck pain or whiplash it's going to be a bad situation.

I got hit by 2 hers this winter. Didn't do any damage and I have a $500 deductible so I let it go.

2 teen age girls. What's the odds they were on their phones?

I did get ones phone number but she didn't reply to my texts.

Luckily no damage occurred.
w6pea and JCE like this.

post #4 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

thats going to be repaired, suggest you use a jeep dealer. You want a road test when picking it up after repairs.

DOn't forget "depreciated asset" compensation.

Be sure the baby is seen by your physician. WHY you did nothing wrong and its a baby.
w6pea, underscore and JCE like this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
JCE

2019 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTizzie View Post
Dang, that stinks.

I got hit by 2 hers this winter. Didn't do any damage and I have a $500 deductible so I let it go.

Man, that sucks. Glad there wasn't any damage. For me i do have some back and neck stiffness and light pain--but that's all muscular. My left hip though, that's another story. I'm waiting to get the results back from the x-rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
thats going to be repaired, suggest you use a jeep dealer. You want a road test when picking it up after repairs.

DOn't forget "depreciated asset" compensation.

Be sure the baby is seen by your physician. WHY you did nothing wrong and its a baby.
The baby is doing great and shows no signs of injury. Our physician definitely wants us to monitor her but is confident she's ok. That's what really important in all of this.

I'm using the same shop we used for the Charger and other Jeep. They only use OEM parts and do quality work--you cannot even tell my Charger was ever in a collision. I plan on submitting for diminished value once we get closer to the settlement time period--it'll be very important. I'll have medical bills to focus on first though.

I just hate it that you cannot have nice things! I'm not buying any more new vehicles LOL!

2016 Dodge Charger R/T
post #6 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 12:37 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Im sure the body shop can tell whats bent and give you a good assessment. There are specified frame/body references/data points. The rear door opens and closes? What do the body gaps look like? I’ve seen worse that turned out to be relatively minor damages, but her tow/recovery point looks like a lance that may have poked deep. The service 4WD light could be a simple as a wire being knocked off a wheel sensor.

Let us know how it goes, wish you a quick recovery!
slim0531 and JCE like this.

Whatever hits the fan is not evenly distributed
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #7 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 12:58 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Thatís definitely not a 50 mph hit. If for no other reference material watch you tube crash test videos youíll see thatís probably a 20 mph hit.

Hope youíre okay. Always sucks having a newer vehicle wrecked and repaired.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 01:20 PM
PwnCall

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post
That’s definitely not a 50 mph hit. If for no other reference material watch you tube crash test videos you’ll see that’s probably a 20 mph hit.

Hope you’re okay. Always sucks having a newer vehicle wrecked and repaired.
Yea if it were 50 mph it would be totaled.

I was expecting a write off no matter what when you said 50mph. Maybe you meant she was going that fast before braking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 02:14 PM
jjmagoo
2014 WK 

Happy to hear that all is (relatively) well, as you mentioned the little one is definitely a priority so that is great to hear. On the other hand that SUCKS about the brand new GC, very surprised it didn't do more damage from the pic of the bumper on the Wrangler and hopefully you can get it repaired and back on the road.

Wishing you and the GC a speedy recovery!

2014 GC Limited (Duchess)
1997 TJ Sahara (Bailey) - SOLD
post #10 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Norcim
2014 WK 

Garage
Here's the back of my WK2 after getting hit when I was stopped. The car that hit me was going about 15mph.
The tailgate is one piece so it had to be replaced and some of the plastic was cracked and needed replacing.

No frame damage or anything else major.
The traction control light came on when I drove away. The dealer said it was most likely because something went haywire during the accident but when they reset it, it has never come back on.
Attached Images

Current: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland V6
Previous: 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6
post #11 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
JCE

2019 WK 

Thanks for the replies.

She told me she was going ďabout 50Ē because she didnít even hit the brake pedal. Plus, Iíve been in enough rear end collisions to know it wasnít ďa 20 mph hitĒ, chances are it was more like ~45 if I had to guess. Regardless of the speed, because it doesnít matter, thankfully no serious injuries. My main reason for the topic was to find out what could possibly be behind that area of the rear bumper and if I should be concerned about chassis / frame dmg.

Iíll just wait to see what the body shop says and report back.
post #12 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 PM
w6pea

2016 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTizzie View Post
Dang, that stinks.

You want to bet if she was a teenager Mommy and Daddy don't have a clue. Did you get her Lic.# call your local PD.

"Without Trucks America Stops!"
"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
"No Better Friend..No Worse Enemy""Boycott the NFL" "Boycott Nike "
post #13 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 10:41 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Because the tailgate window didn't shatter, I would think the body damage shouldn't be that bad. There is nothing much under there besides some cross path detection and park sense modules. There aren't any crush zones. But then a tailgate is ~ $1000 plus paint, and the bumper stuff another $1000, so it will be costly. If the Wrangler's lance caught the rear rail, that can be sectioned out and repaired.

Unlike the charger, these jeeps are built more like a light truck, a little stronger for off road fun. Because of the stiffer structure, more crash energy can get transferred to occupants however.
w6pea likes this.

Whatever hits the fan is not evenly distributed
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #14 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 11:38 PM
w6pea

2016 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
I was rear ended yesterday while stopped at a red light. She had a huge aftermarket steel bumper / bullbar on her Jeep Wrangler and the hit was pretty hard. Luckily my four month old baby was ok, me on the other hand have back, neck and a hip problem now not to mention the hit to my emotions since I love my Jeep.
----------------
Side note, this is the third new vehicle that has been hit with little to no miles on it in a row. I'm growing tired of how people drive in today's world. Slow down and pay attention...also if you look at your phone when you drive stop that immediately--you're putting people's safety and lives at risk which includes my baby daughter.
Really glad to hear that your daughter wasn't hurt, the heck with the Jeep it can be replaced, your daughter is another story.
In 1998 my daughter passed away. It was and still is very hard on my wife when her birthday and the day she passed away come around. A parent is not meant to out live their children. Sorry for the rant. Good luck I'm not body man but the Jeep doesn't look too bad IMHO.
underscore and JCE like this.

"Without Trucks America Stops!"
"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
"No Better Friend..No Worse Enemy""Boycott the NFL" "Boycott Nike "
post #15 of 23 Old 06-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Kman09JGC

2016 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
Man, that sucks. Glad there wasn't any damage. For me i do have some back and neck stiffness and light pain--but that's all muscular. My left hip though, that's another story. I'm waiting to get the results back from the x-rays.

The baby is doing great and shows no signs of injury. Our physician definitely wants us to monitor her but is confident she's ok. That's what really important in all of this.

I'm using the same shop we used for the Charger and other Jeep. They only use OEM parts and do quality work--you cannot even tell my Charger was ever in a collision. I plan on submitting for diminished value once we get closer to the settlement time period--it'll be very important. I'll have medical bills to focus on first though.

I just hate it that you cannot have nice things! I'm not buying any more new vehicles LOL!

Glad you went to the doctor. Even the slowest hit from the back can cause back problems down the road. I got hit and totaled my 15 altitude almost 3 years ago and my back is still not the same. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JCE likes this.

09 laredo 28x 4.7 w/QD2 Superchip w/91 perf tune w/ trans app, jet 180 tstat,K&N CAI, bistein 5100 struts and shocks, srt8 front and rear swaybars, 255/65/17 General Grabber at2's.
Black WK Club #107

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in