How to tell the difference between Grand Cherokee models? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 04-29-2021, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
TXTrailhawk

How to tell the difference between Grand Cherokee models?

I searched for this and didn't find it, apologies if I missed it. Curious on how to tell the difference between GC models: The badged ones are obvious (Trailhawk, Overland, etc), and it isn't hard to tell the SRT and Trackhawk models. But some don't have badges on the tailgate - are they debadged? Or is that a specific model (e.g. Laredo)?

And it appears the V8s have dual exhausts, and the V6 has a single - is that right? The diesel?

Just checking out my fellow Jeep family members

Cheers

2021 Diamond Black GC Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-29-2021, 09:11 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Are you talking new, or throughout the 10 year life with and without modifications? V6s can have dual exhausts. Those that don't have a badge are probably Leredos, they would likely have 17 inch tires and no select terrain switch... but options can change that.

If you want to have a guarantee of what model it started life, you need the VIN and get an option list for it.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 25 Old 04-29-2021, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
TXTrailhawk

Thanks ColdCase, I'm more curious than anything. Suspected that it had probably changed over the life of the WK2, so if there's no sticky maybe I'll just ask

Cheers

2021 Diamond Black GC Trailhawk

post #4 of 25 Old 04-29-2021, 09:30 AM
PwnCall

Garage
As cold case said it’s hard to tell always.

Our Laredo has the winter package so it has the select trac knob and tow hooks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-29-2021, 10:55 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Some models don't have badging at all and options can lead you to believe it's a different model than it is. Single exhaust means it's not a V8, but dual exhaust doesn't necessarily mean it is. I think ColdCase is correct. The only way to be sure is to run the VIN.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #6 of 25 Old 04-29-2021, 12:43 PM
JackB1
2014 WK 

I have a 2014 GC Limited and, like you, I am curious when driving around about the years of other GCs on the road. I have a V-6 which has dual exhaust and is badged "Limited". Another way to distinguish is the Limited has 18" tires rather than 17" which would be the Laredo [I think]. I think the wheels are also different on Limited even in other years. One thing I am not sure of but confuses me is that on some WK models the roof antenna is black instead of white. Subtle differences in the grills are also a clue but I am not sure about the fore mentioned differences let alone others. You did say this was just a curiosity discussion??
post #7 of 25 Old 04-29-2021, 01:44 PM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Wheel size also depends on whether you have the larger brakes. 17 wheels get the SD brakes and 18+ wheels could have SD or HD (larger, vented rear rotors). The size of brakes can depend on engine choice and possibly whether it has the towing package or not (I think thats debatable though).

The stock wheel choice and body trim would probably be the best way to distinguish models (assuming the wheels were not swapped from a different trim level).

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi & 2017 SRT 6.4L & 2020 Trackhawk 6.2L Supercharged
post #8 of 25 Old 04-30-2021, 10:23 AM
yzf125

2018 WK 

What does "LTD Avail" mean ?? I have seen this on some models.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-30-2021, 10:25 AM
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf125 View Post
What does "LTD Avail" mean ?? I have seen this on some models.
Limited availability, perhaps?
post #10 of 25 Old 04-30-2021, 10:40 AM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Up until around the 2016 model year, all GCs had dual tailpipes regardless of engine choice. FCA switched to a single pipe for V6s on the Laredo and Limited trims. The Overlands and Summits retain the duals with all engines. Some model years with the V6 will also have the Flex Fuel badge as well.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #11 of 25 Old 04-30-2021, 05:20 PM
jas32

I haven't been following the various iterations of the WK2 since I sold my 2011 in 2016. Early this year when I decided to get a new WK2, it took me a while to figure out what features are available on what model/trim/etc. Over the past 10 years there have been a plethora of models and special editions (Upland, North, Altitude, High Altitude, not to mention the Anniversary Editions) that were introduced and discontinued.

One place that I have referred to is the website wk2jeeps.com which lists a "what's new" for each model year, models offered for that year, plus the changes that were made from previous years. Obviously it is difficult to memorize all of the info and instantly identify what year/model/etc. it is when a certain WK2 passes by.

As you mentioned some are fairly obvious if they have a badge (unless of course the owner de-badged their car). For 2021, I think I finally figured out the factory de-badged models out there, as follows:
  • Freedom Edition (Laredo base) - std front facia (not Summit), star decal on hood, black out trim, black, gray, white colors. unique matte wheels, single exhaust.
  • Altitude (Laredo X base) - std front facia, black out trim, black wheels, bright tip single exhaust.
  • 80th Anniversary (Limited base) - 80th Anniv badges, very similar to Altitude exc. granite crystal trim (not black), single exhaust.

I think I also finally figured out the exterior differences between the Limited X and the Overland based High Altitude since these 2 are very similar:
  • both have the dark Summit style front facias and dual exhaust
  • Limited X has a badge and a sport hood
  • Limited X is not available in Billet Silver color
  • Limited X has gloss black exterior accents (HA has granite crystal)
  • Limited X has black "Overland" wheels
  • HA has recycled 2016 Dodge Durango wheels in granite crystal
TXTrailhawk likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-30-2021, 06:34 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If the Jeep doesn't have a select terrain knob on the center console, you can be sure its a Laredo.

Wk2 Jeeps get their model info from the FCA published Fact and Feature availability sheets that you can get directly from FCA or here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...heets-3291273/ These may be easier to follow.

Sometimes WK2 Jeeps staff embellishes the details a bit and adds costing data, but it doesn't look like much has been updated in awhile.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #13 of 25 Old 05-01-2021, 02:29 PM
KLeeWK
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
Up until around the 2016 model year, all GC’s had dual tailpipes regardless of engine choice. FCA switched to a single pipe for V6’s on the Laredo and Limited trims. The Overlands and Summits retain the duals with all engines. Some model years with the V6 will also have the Flex Fuel badge as well.
My 2014 Laredo had a single pipe.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-01-2021, 02:37 PM
KLeeWK
2014 WK 

[QUOTE=ColdCase;41261305]If the Jeep doesn't have a select terrain knob on the center console, you can be sure it's a Laredo.

It's a lot more complicated than that:

1. Most if not all trim levels except Trailhawk can be had with 2wd, so no QT2 and no select- terrain knob.

2. The Altitude is technically a Laredo trim package but it's different enough that most consider it a different trim, does not have the Laredo badge, and was only available with QT1.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-01-2021, 02:48 PM
KLeeWK
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I have a 2014 GC Limited and, like you, I am curious when driving around about the years of other GCs on the road. I have a V-6 which has dual exhaust and is badged "Limited". Another way to distinguish is the Limited has 18" tires rather than 17" which would be the Laredo [I think]. I think the wheels are also different on Limited even in other years. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]
Wheel size doesn't help, the WK2 Laredo E has had an 18" wheel option since at least 2014. I optioned my 2019 Laredo with 18" wheels that look just like those that come stock on Trailhawk, and starting in '20 or '21 17" wheels are no longer available on the Laredo.

I will say this: true Laredos are easy: they all have a "Laredo" badge on the rear hatch. It gets more complicated on appearance trims that are based on the Laredo like the Upland, Altitude, North, etc - I don't think these come with a trim badge at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in