How long after WOT until turning HEMI off - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
aftershock00

How long after WOT until turning HEMI off

Hey guys, as the title says, this isn't a turbo engine, so how long after doing a WOT pull do I have to wait til I can safely turn 5.7L engine off without damaging/wearing anything?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 09:12 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershock00 View Post
Hey guys, as the title says, this isn't a turbo engine, so how long after doing a WOT pull do I have to wait til I can safely turn 5.7L engine off without damaging/wearing anything?
WOT can mean lots of things - to get up a long very steep hill for 10 minutes, a repeating drag race or a 5 second merge onto the freeway?

Under normal circumstances, stopping at the mailbox to get your mail, driving into your garage and swapping your sunglasses for your regular glasses is all that is required.
post #3 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 09:31 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

By WOT pull I'd assume the OP was talking about something like dino runs. The 5.7 isn't any different than any other normally aspirated V8, let the temperature stabilize a bit before shutting down. I don't think there is a hard or fast rule, just common sense. It doesn't get hot enough to cook oil like a turbo would.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
aftershock00

My scenario would be doing a 20 to 100 mph pull. I am thorough with waiting for coolant temp and oil temp to be at normal, and I even wait for tranny temp to be at 150 before doing this. Issue is, I have this road down the block from my house perfect for safely banging through some gears to get a smile on my face. From the point, I let off the throttle and drive normal, its about a minute to my house. Then about a minute to back in driveway and get my things. Then I usually wait another 45second to a minute before turning off. So 3 minutes total

Normally when hot rodding, and especially in my cummins turbo ram, I do a cool off lap around my block at 30mph which take me about 2 minutes, then I back in my driveway and hang out for a minute, which typically bring me to a 4-5 minute cool down.

This time I didn't do my cool down cause my wife kept reminding me that our "to go" food we just picked up was getting cold and the cool down slipped my mind.

Just trying to get a pulse for whether my 2 minute cool down was very detrimental, or more of a thing where its not terrible, but better to wait longer, or one of those things where people say I'm wasting fuel and time by bothering to wait/cool off at all.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 10:38 AM
Jasonoff

You were cooling down the turbos in your previous vehicle. Not the engine.

If your vehicle is operating within spec (ie, no abnormal oil temps etc) a cool down is not required.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 10:40 AM
ceb1

Quote:
WOT can mean lots of things - to get up a long very steep hill for 10 minutes, a repeating drag race or a 5 second merge onto the freeway?

Under normal circumstances, stopping at the mailbox to get your mail, driving into your garage and swapping your sunglasses for your regular glasses is all that is required.
post #7 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
aftershock00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonoff View Post
You were cooling down the turbos in your previous vehicle. Not the engine.

If your vehicle is operating within spec (ie, no abnormal oil temps etc) a cool down is not required.
Yes cooling down the turbo is the primary objective, I agree, but I'm sure it also helps to let heat equalize throughout the engine (head, valves, etc). Since no turbo, I wasn't sure if a single 10 second WOT run requires time for heat dissipation/extraction/whatever.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 11:09 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Yes cooling down the turbo is the primary objective, I agree, but I'm sure it also helps to let heat equalize throughout the engine (head, valves, etc). Since no turbo, I wasn't sure if a single 10 second WOT run requires time for heat dissipation/extraction/whatever.
Unless that 10 second WOT run was into your garage, then you're absolutely fine just shutting it down.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 01:33 PM
Jasonoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
Unless that 10 second WOT run was into your garage
Probably still fine actually...
post #10 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 03:36 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonoff View Post
Probably still fine actually...
True - of course - but I was trying to make a point - which is the same point you made.
post #11 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 03:56 PM
RobF
2012 WK 

Normally aspirated engines do not need a cool-down. You can do it if you like, but you're not doing anything in the way of reducing wear and tear like on older turbo engines.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4. 5.7 Hemi, Granite Crystal, Safety Group, Harmon-Kardon, Nav
post #12 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
aftershock00

Actually I appreciate you guys layering it in and using analogies. I’m obviously a little OCD about taking care of my engines and always strive to learn more. I do enjoy running them hard cause hey, I work hard, and paid a lot for them, and tomorrow isn’t guaranteed and nothing lasts forever anyway. I could keep the car in a bubble and go figure someone t bones me.

That being said, I do like to be methodical and have “mechanical sympathy” when I beat them.

So just to reiterate, I could do 10 seconds wot at operating temp and as soon as I release throttle, I brake to a full stop and shut it off, and that would still be perfectly safe/no worries/no detriment???
post #13 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 05:02 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Actually I appreciate you guys layering it in and using analogies. I’m obviously a little OCD about taking care of my engines and always strive to learn more. I do enjoy running them hard cause hey, I work hard, and paid a lot for them, and tomorrow isn’t guaranteed and nothing lasts forever anyway. I could keep the car in a bubble and go figure someone t bones me.

That being said, I do like to be methodical and have “mechanical sympathy” when I beat them.

So just to reiterate, I could do 10 seconds wot at operating temp and as soon as I release throttle, I brake to a full stop and shut it off, and that would still be perfectly safe/no worries/no detriment???
Can you give us an example of a situation where that may happen?
post #14 of 34 Old 04-15-2020, 05:57 PM
Jasonoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
True - of course - but I was trying to make a point - which is the same point you made.
I LOL'ed
post #15 of 34 Old 04-16-2020, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
aftershock00

It wouldn't happen anymore than me going WOT right into my garage.... was just talking theoretically. I guess it could actually happen if I saw blue lights behind me right as I was about to get off the throttle anyway and the law tells me to shut vehicle off if he's one of dramatic type of cops and makes it like he was chasing OJ down the highway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in