High Speed Vibration - 2011 GCO - Goodyear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 Old 12-26-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
billybronco1
2011 WK 

High Speed Vibration - 2011 GCO - Goodyear

I have a 2011 GC with under 6K miles on it. At over 70 mph it has a slight vibration that drives me crazy. This rides like a cheap KIA not a $45K luxury vehicle. It has Goodyear Forera HL 265 50R20 tires on it. I took it back to the dealer and they sent it out to Town Fair tire for a Roadforce tire balance. Although slightly better it still has a vibration. I read about these tires they don't have the best rating. Anyone experience this? How hard do I have to push to get four Michelin tires put on it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 AM
fmcgirt
2011 WK 

It will depend totally on your dealer. There are reports on this forum about dealers that really stepped up and made this problem right but in my case I had to do it all my self. My dealer sent me to an "authorized" GY dealer who even had two factory reps present and they all claimed no problem with the tires - that it was the vehicle. My long time tire dealer and friend found two out of round tires and I wound up going to 18in wheels and Michelin M+S 2s with no more problems. It really sucks that dealers put this off on tire manufacturers and even worse that Jeep puts such lousy tires on their GCs to start with.

Last edited by fmcgirt; 12-26-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: correct typo
post #3 of 87 Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
billybronco1
2011 WK 

Did you contact Chrysler direct and see what they had to say?

post #4 of 87 Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 PM
fmcgirt
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Did you contact Chrysler direct and see what they had to say?
No, because I guess I believed the dealer when they told me that the tires were not warranted by Chrysler but by the tire manufacturer. And it also clearly says that in the tire warranty info that comes with the owners manuals.
post #5 of 87 Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
RB145
2014 WK 

I Have had this problem off and on since I got mine. This is the most teperamental vehicle I have ever seen when it comes to balance. I would try having them road force balanced. Look for a place with Hunter GPS 9700. I also had some luck with raising the tire pressure to 38psi. I switched to the Michelin touring hp ( which is no longer made) for a while but the vibration came back and those tires were too hard for me so I went back to the GY. I have had to have these things balance every 3k miles and the vibration goes away for a while. Today I put 18" wheels on it with Goodyear silent armor tires for the winter and get on the highway and at 70 the shimmy is back. So I raised the pressure a couple pounds and torqued the lugs to specs and it seems to have taken care of it for the most part.
post #6 of 87 Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 AM
redjeep11
2011 WK 

I am getting a slight vibration in the floorboard in front of the driver's seat at highway speeds above 50 mph. I am NOT getting a shimmy in the steering wheel. It's not serious, just a little annoying. Could this be a problem with wheel balancing, even though there is no shimmy in the steering wheel? I am running Blizzack DMV-1's for winter which were balanced by tire rack (usually they do a good job), but I was also experiencing this problem with the OEM's Forteras (20 inch Overland wheels).
post #7 of 87 Old 12-27-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
billybronco1
2011 WK 

I don't get a shimmy in the steering wheel, just a slight vibration through out the vehicle over 70 mph at least that is when it most noticeable. Once you are aware of these things you always feel it when it happens and it is very annoying, hard to ignore.
post #8 of 87 Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM
fmcgirt
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
I Have had this problem off and on since I got mine. This is the most teperamental vehicle I have ever seen when it comes to balance. I would try having them road force balanced. Look for a place with Hunter GPS 9700. I also had some luck with raising the tire pressure to 38psi. I switched to the Michelin touring hp ( which is no longer made) for a while but the vibration came back and those tires were too hard for me so I went back to the GY. I have had to have these things balance every 3k miles and the vibration goes away for a while. Today I put 18" wheels on it with Goodyear silent armor tires for the winter and get on the highway and at 70 the shimmy is back. So I raised the pressure a couple pounds and torqued the lugs to specs and it seems to have taken care of it for the most part.
This is pretty much the exact same process I went through except I wound up with the MS2s on the 18in wheels. The tire pressure makes a big difference on mine and I am currently at 39 psi and 100 ft-lbs torque on the lugs.

I have about decided something is going on somewhere in the drivetrain to cause this tempremental behavior.
post #9 of 87 Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcgirt View Post
This is pretty much the exact same process I went through except I wound up with the MS2s on the 18in wheels. The tire pressure makes a big difference on mine and I am currently at 39 psi and 100 ft-lbs torque on the lugs.

I have about decided something is going on somewhere in the drivetrain to cause this tempremental behavior.

Tire pressure on yours makes a big difference as far as what?
post #10 of 87 Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 AM
fmcgirt
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
Tire pressure on yours makes a big difference as far as what?
The vibrations are more towards the lower cold pressures of 35-37 psi and less towards cold pressures of 38-40 psi. A few psi make a big difference on my Overland. This may not be true with all tires but is with the Michelin MS2s.
post #11 of 87 Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 AM
98zjkidd
1998 ZJ 

It sounds like a balance issue even just being out of balance by a 1/4 of an oz can make u have vibrations or if they are counter balanced will give u vibrations
post #12 of 87 Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
billybronco1
2011 WK 

I raised my tire pressure from 36 to 38 and what a difference it made. I hate it even more! I rides super hard and is almost erratic the way it handles. The guy that said this is the most temperamental vehicle he has ever owned is not kidding. I really don't want to go back to the dealer as in most cases with something like this its a waste of time but I think I have to and play the game. I did escalate the issue and opened a case with Chrysler lets see if anything happens.
post #13 of 87 Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
billybronco1
2011 WK 

I'm headed back to the dealer this week - they are already telling me this is normal for a four wheel drive vehicle - damn do they think I'm stupid. I spend $45K and can't cruise on the highway at 75 mph without a vibration? I didn't buy this car to plow snow maybe I should have bought a KIA and a four wheel drive one!

How about the rest of you with a GC and 20" wheels any high speed vibration?
post #14 of 87 Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
I'm headed back to the dealer this week - they are already telling me this is normal for a four wheel drive vehicle - damn do they think I'm stupid. I spend $45K and can't cruise on the highway at 75 mph without a vibration? I didn't buy this car to plow snow maybe I should have bought a KIA and a four wheel drive one!

I have a couple questions. Is this vibration all the time at those speeds? Also do you have the air suspension? I have had this vibration off and on since new. I would not be so quick to blame the tires although I do think it is balance related. I say that because I have had tried the 20" Michelin touring hp and the vibration came back after a few weeks. Then I went to 18" wheels with Goodyear silent armors had a slight vibration torqued lugs and vibraiton seemed to go away. I think what it boils down to is this vehicle is very sensitive to tire balance. I just today put the 20" wheels with the GY Foteria's back on and I can tell you it drives the best with those tires of the three I have had. I took it out on the highway and it was as smooth as can be we will see how long that lasts. I would ask your dealer if they have a road force balancer and if they don't take it to a place that does. One other question. Did raising the tire pressure do anything?
post #15 of 87 Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

Quote:

Yes, I have a 2012 Overland 4x4 Hemi with 20" wheels (Quadra Trac II). I haven't felt any vibration, but I try to see if I can notice it and even replicate it based on what others say and I don't seem to have it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in