High pressure fuel pump failure. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdCase

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2021, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Teal09

High pressure fuel pump failure.

Hi, after being in the garage for 15 weeks after my 2012 GC lost power while driving, today I was told the the high pressure fuel pump had failed and metal parts had contaminated the whole fuel system, the cost to repair 17500!!!!!
The vehicle has done 96000 miles, serviced yearly and was in excellent condition but with a value of 10500
it's now going to be a write off.
Anyone experienced similar and costs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2021, 05:28 PM
Bilko

You need to get a second opinion before you commit to this repair, the fuel pump costs ~$300, I would just swap this plus the filter and see how it goes before selling the vehicle. Even if the fuel pump had a catastrophic failure the fuel filter should trap any debris before it gets to the injectors or return valve/fuel rail pressure regulators.

How much of the $1750 was labor vs parts cost? The integrated Fuel pump is quite difficult to access and replace but if you are handy and have time, it's not hard to do.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2021, 05:36 PM
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
You need to get a second opinion before you commit to this repair, the fuel pump costs ~$300, I would just swap this plus the filter and see how it goes before selling the vehicle. Even if the fuel pump had a catastrophic failure the fuel filter should trap any debris before it gets to the injectors or return valve/fuel rail pressure regulators.

How much of the $1750 was labor vs parts cost? The integrated Fuel pump is quite difficult to access and replace but if you are handy and have time, it's not hard to do.
Look at it again. He said it was 17500, which converts to $24,388 USD.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2021, 06:09 PM
Bilko

Holly Crap, I would only need to do a couple of these repairs a year to earn a good living. The OP needs to get a second opinion from a reputable dealer or independent mechanic.

Teal09, are you in the UK? If so and if you are the original owner of the vehicle you may be able to claim under the not fit-for-purpose legislation. Reach out to your dealer and make your case. If you are not the original owner things get a bit more complicated. Even so, find a reputable independent shop that can fix this.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2021, 09:34 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If the OP is talking about the diesel, its high pressure (injection) pump is driven off the camshaft, looks like quite a job to replace it. I don't think there is a filter between the high pressure pump and the high pressure diesel fuel rail and injectors, there is a pump in the tank that goes trough a filter near the transmission pan. Replacement pumps in the US sell for $1000 at discount... $1500 from a dealer otherwise.
BigTizzie likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2021, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Teal09

Sorry, should have said it's a 3l diesel and yes I'm in the UK.
Has anyone had a similar failure and if so what was the outcome?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in