High-Mileage SRT8 to supercharger - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
shackleford
Registered User
 
shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
High-Mileage SRT8 to supercharger

What do you guys think about looking for a clean, 1-owner 2012-2013 SRT8 with around 80K miles, that seems to not have been abused, and eventually installing a supercharger? I like the following modest kit: Arrington Performance HEMI 6LB Supercharger Kit API-SC2011+.

We plan to move to Colorado next year from Texas. From my perspective, the forced induction would be an appropriate addition given the elevation. It would be my daily driver and mountain trekker (probably not off road much).

Because of the high mileage and eventual blower, what other things should I expect to freshen and upgrade to handle the 6-pound Arrington supercharger? Transmission? Rough costs?

If this is not a sound idea, then please, tell me that too. Thanks.

shackleford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 01:02 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 165
Sounds like a really interesting project. It is also screaming Money Pit. Putting 10 grand into a 8 year old vehicle with 80k miles doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. If you are a well equipped and capable mechanic it could be viable if you just want a fun project. If you are going to have to pay somebody to install the supercharger, it's not a great idea. Everything else should be able to handle the additional power as long as you don't drive it like a manic all the time.

If you are serious I would look to spend more on getting a lower mileage and newer base vehicle.

Also remember that adding the SC is likely to devalue the vehicle so you need to plan on keeping the car for a while.

Even with the high altitude, a stock SRT is still going to be seriously quick. If you are moving to one snowier parts of CO you need to look at the wheel and tire options for an SRT. They have the Brembo brakes that means you need 20" wheels that severely limits your winter tire options.
Bilko is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
shackleford
Registered User
 
shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Sounds like a really interesting project. It is also screaming Money Pit. Putting 10 grand into a 8 year old vehicle with 80k miles doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. If you are a well equipped and capable mechanic it could be viable if you just want a fun project. If you are going to have to pay somebody to install the supercharger, it's not a great idea. Everything else should be able to handle the additional power as long as you don't drive it like a manic all the time.

If you are serious I would look to spend more on getting a lower mileage and newer base vehicle.

Also remember that adding the SC is likely to devalue the vehicle so you need to plan on keeping the car for a while.

Even with the high altitude, a stock SRT is still going to be seriously quick. If you are moving to one snowier parts of CO you need to look at the wheel and tire options for an SRT. They have the Brembo brakes that means you need 20" wheels that severely limits your winter tire options.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree that this is somewhat of a wacky plan.

I've also thought about getting a lower trim 2017+ V8 AWD Grand Cherokee (Limited, Overland, or Summit) with 30K miles on it or so and then doing a supercharger. As I understand it, the 5.7 Hemi is a bit underpowered. My current car is a 2015 Mustang GT Premium, and I've had a '95 Z28, '98 Trans Am, and '05 GTO. That's the reason why I'd look for much more horsepower. This would be a vehicle that I'd keep for 5 to 7 years.
shackleford is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 05:19 PM
metalhead
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southampton, Pa
Posts: 1,698
If your moving to CO then you don't want an srt8. I have a 2011 laredo with the hemi. My plan for more power is the intake manifold from the 6.4L and possibly the exhaust manifolds or headers. Maybe cam swap. I thought about a supercharger too but just not in the budget for me. The only thing I've done so far is the x pipe mod and mopar cold air kit. I smoke mustangs all day long.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
metalhead is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 05:59 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 165
Only in Texas would somebody consider a 5.7 Hemi under powered :-) On paper they do produce about 100 more HP and Torques than the V6 but in real life the on road performance is not that different unless you are fully loaded or towing something. That's where the SRT comes in, they are way quicker but you are sacrificing many of the benefits of a real SUV.

If you want good old V8 performance, get a Corvette. I knew a guy who lived in Tahoe who had a 2016 corvette with studded tires and driving it in the snow was the the best fun you can have without being arrested or divorced...........actually he did get arrested and divorced but that's a whole different story.

Even if you end up in Denver the coolest thing about living in CO, apart from the people are the mountains. You need a rig that can get you to the cool places and not worry so much about traffic light burn outs. Get a decent spec WK2 Hemi and spend your money on off road tires and some overlanding gear.
Bilko is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
shackleford
Registered User
 
shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
shackleford

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
If your moving to CO then you don't want an srt8. I have a 2011 laredo with the hemi. My plan for more power is the intake manifold from the 6.4L and possibly the exhaust manifolds or headers. Maybe cam swap. I thought about a supercharger too but just not in the budget for me. The only thing I've done so far is the x pipe mod and mopar cold air kit. I smoke mustangs all day long.
What sort of gain would you see with just an intake swap from the 6.4L?
shackleford is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-06-2020, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
shackleford
Registered User
 
shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Only in Texas would somebody consider a 5.7 Hemi under powered :-) On paper they do produce about 100 more HP and Torques than the V6 but in real life the on road performance is not that different unless you are fully loaded or towing something. That's where the SRT comes in, they are way quicker but you are sacrificing many of the benefits of a real SUV.

If you want good old V8 performance, get a Corvette. I knew a guy who lived in Tahoe who had a 2016 corvette with studded tires and driving it in the snow was the the best fun you can have without being arrested or divorced...........actually he did get arrested and divorced but that's a whole different story.

Even if you end up in Denver the coolest thing about living in CO, apart from the people are the mountains. You need a rig that can get you to the cool places and not worry so much about traffic light burn outs. Get a decent spec WK2 Hemi and spend your money on off road tires and some overlanding gear.
Wow. That's certainly counterintuitive that the V6 and 5.7L Grand Cherokees perform similarly. Maybe it's a gearing or transmission issue limiting the 5.7?

I've thought about getting another GTO for the fun car. I do want an SUV for the mountains, but I really don't want a pig. That's the main reason I don't want a 4Runner. Even with a Magnusson supercharger, it's only making around 350 horses at the flywheel, from what I've read. I also read that the Grand Cherokee handles better on the road.
shackleford is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 06:33 AM
WK2Overland4X4
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 174
If you want performance, the previous gen SRT8 GC were quicker I believe since they were so much lighter. While I would not consider my 2012 5.7 Overland slow, it definitely isn't quick. I have had a 2006 5.7 Charger, a 2015 Charger R/T R&T, and now I have a 2018 6.4 Challenger Scat Pack SHAKER. A new 5.0 Mustang would crush the 5.7s, and probably be close either way to my 6.4 Challenger, no way a JGC beats one, assuming they aren't a base Mustang.
IF I was going to pour money into a JGC and supercharge one, I'd probably get a 2014 5.7 and start there. Old enough to be cheap enough, and (I think) before encrypted ECU as well, saving money on tuning.
And a boosted 5.7 will get you up and running.
WK2Overland4X4 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
shackleford
Registered User
 
shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
shackleford

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
If you want performance, the previous gen SRT8 GC were quicker I believe since they were so much lighter. While I would not consider my 2012 5.7 Overland slow, it definitely isn't quick. I have had a 2006 5.7 Charger, a 2015 Charger R/T R&T, and now I have a 2018 6.4 Challenger Scat Pack SHAKER. A new 5.0 Mustang would crush the 5.7s, and probably be close either way to my 6.4 Challenger, no way a JGC beats one, assuming they aren't a base Mustang.
IF I was going to pour money into a JGC and supercharge one, I'd probably get a 2014 5.7 and start there. Old enough to be cheap enough, and (I think) before encrypted ECU as well, saving money on tuning.
And a boosted 5.7 will get you up and running.
My 2015 5.0 GT is plenty fast, even with just an X-pipe. My 2005 GTO with the LS2 had full exhaust and headers. That was a fun car.

As I understand it, the main advantages of 2014+ are the eight-speed transmission and updated interior. Encrypted ECU? Wow. What's a good mileage range - 50K?
shackleford is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 08:21 AM
WK2Overland4X4
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by shackleford View Post
My 2015 5.0 GT is plenty fast, even with just an X-pipe. My 2005 GTO with the LS2 had full exhaust and headers. That was a fun car.

As I understand it, the main advantages of 2014+ are the eight-speed transmission and updated interior. Encrypted ECU? Wow. What's a good mileage range - 50K?
I guess I should have said "Locked" ECM, basically from 2015 + they are "locked" and you need to buy or trade for an "unlocked" one that can be altered in the tuning.
https://www.diablosport.com/pcm-modi...cles-computer/
has some info. Also
https://dodgeforum.com/articles/modd...-unlocked-pcm/
I am VERY fond of the 8sp, I had it in my 2015 5.7 and my 2018 6.4. My 2015 would crush my 2006 5.7, mainly due to the 8sp, not the additional power/torque vs the older 5sp that I also liked a lot.
On the Challenger forum I am on, there is always a debate over 6m or 8a, and it comes down to this, If you want to have fun being a man, get the 6M, if you want to be faster, get the 8A!
I really like the interior of my 2012, but the radio/nav is like something from 2000, not 2012. Other than that, and the out of date looking center screen, the rest of the interior is super nice.
WK2Overland4X4 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
shackleford
Registered User
 
shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
I guess I should have said "Locked" ECM, basically from 2015 + they are "locked" and you need to buy or trade for an "unlocked" one that can be altered in the tuning.
https://www.diablosport.com/pcm-modi...cles-computer/
has some info. Also
https://dodgeforum.com/articles/modd...-unlocked-pcm/
I am VERY fond of the 8sp, I had it in my 2015 5.7 and my 2018 6.4. My 2015 would crush my 2006 5.7, mainly due to the 8sp, not the additional power/torque vs the older 5sp that I also liked a lot.
On the Challenger forum I am on, there is always a debate over 6m or 8a, and it comes down to this, If you want to have fun being a man, get the 6M, if you want to be faster, get the 8A!
I really like the interior of my 2012, but the radio/nav is like something from 2000, not 2012. Other than that, and the out of date looking center screen, the rest of the interior is super nice.
Eh. What a pain for just a tune. I had a 2019 5.0 GT rental several months ago. It had the new 10-speed automatic, and there was a very noticeable difference compared to my 2015 5.0 6-speed automatic.

Here's another idea. Instead of installing a supercharger on a higher-mileage SRT/8, I could simply get one that's in decent condition and then just do an engine or transmission rebuild down the road. I really just like the SRT GC more than the other trims.
shackleford is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 AM
2014RedHemiGC
Registered User
 
2014RedHemiGC's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mount Airy, NC
Posts: 557
To me the HEMI equipped Grand Cherokee is “quick” rather than “fast”, but those things are very subjective. The tall 3.09 rear end ratio (for better mpg’s) hurts a little, but the 8 speed auto on the 2014+ models really helps make it an all round good performer, just not a “hot rod”.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
2014RedHemiGC is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
shackleford
Registered User
 
shackleford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
To me the HEMI equipped Grand Cherokee is “quick” rather than “fast”, but those things are very subjective. The tall 3.09 rear end ratio (for better mpg’s) hurts a little, but the 8 speed auto on the 2014+ models really helps make it an all round good performer, just not a “hot rod”.
Fast is in the seat of the pants of the driver (or passenger). Is there a natural shorter gear replacement perhaps from an SRT?
shackleford is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 07-07-2020, 08:08 PM
2008OverlandCRD
Registered User
2017 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 443
Have you driven a SRT? Maybe it’ll be “fast” enough. My 2017 SRT is quite fast. I usually get 4.1 or 4.2 seconds 0-60. It’s stock.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
2008OverlandCRD is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 07-08-2020, 06:02 AM
WK2Overland4X4
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008OverlandCRD View Post
Have you driven a SRT? Maybe it’ll be “fast” enough. My 2017 SRT is quite fast. I usually get 4.1 or 4.2 seconds 0-60. It’s stock.
Just curious, what gear is it in when it hits 60? Is it just into 3rd?
WK2Overland4X4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome