Help me decide - 2018+ WK2, V6, V8 or CRD? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
jbrinker

Smile Help me decide - 2018+ WK2, V6, V8 or CRD?

I'm back in the market for a new (to me) Jeep after a 10 year hiatus. I have owned a 93ZJ, 98ZJ, 02WJ, 04WJ and did not like the WK's at all. So I took a break. Current ride has been so reliable that I am just now back in the market, and looking at a 2018+, ideally Jeep Certified, used WK2. I've looked at a ton, and tried to narrow down what I want.

My mission includes towing my 17' box camper, my 19' fiberglass boat, and my 22' pontoon boat. All are under 3500 loaded, but I'd like to get a different camper and the new one will probably be more like 4500 loaded. I don't do hardcore offroad, but I do sometimes camp in unimproved areas with dirt/gravel roads, and the occasional backwoods trip.

Flip side, before COVID, I was commuting 1hr, 42 miles, each way, every day. Looks like we will be going back to work in July, probably 2 days a week to start (WAY better than 5...) so I will still be putting on some miles, but less than before.

I've basically narrowed it down to a Trailhawk with the luxury/tech packages, and Overland with the tech packages, or a High Altitude which is pretty close to the other two in terms of goodies. (basically I search on cars.com by year, etc, then add "adaptive cruise" and "trailer hitch" and that filters out 90% of the ones that don't have the proper packages)

Must have the trailer tow group IV. I'd really like to have the advanced cruise control - which is why I want the tech package. This limits the search down pretty good especially now with practically no used cars around.

The big Q is the V8 vs V6, or CRD, debate. I drove a V6 2019 trailhawk, and it was nice, but it was a little unnerving that it was shifting around so much. I mean 8 gears + a V6, and I guess thats just how it goes. It also felt "mooshy" to me, not "snappy" at all.

The V8 I drove, same config, was much more torquey and did not seem to hunt for gears at all. Push pedal, it goes. It was not "snappy" either but it was at least similar in feel to what I drive now. There are not hardly any V8's around in the config I am looking at. Searching online I might find say 200 V6's within 500 miles, and 4 V8's.

I have never driven the CRD, but it enters the conversation due to its towing capability and the fact that there is one not too far from here that is loaded and actually about the same price as the other V6's I am finding. Otherwise these seem to be even rarer than the V8, and I have yet to find a certified used diesel.

My current vehicle is a 3.5l V6, 6 speed auto, with quite a bit of torque. It does OK towing the boats, and camper, but it is running in 4th gear a lot with the camper. Definitely at the limits of reasonable towing capacity. I'd like to avoid that feeling with the new rig. All my prior Jeeps were V8 (5.2 or 4.7) and I loved towing with them.

Looking for opinions. And yes, I have spend HOURS combing through the CRD threads, towing threads, etc.

Seems to boil down to:

- CRD - great tow rig. Tons of torque. Can be modded if necessary to remove the emissions crap. Expen$$ive to repair. Hard to find Jeep dealers to work on them reliably. More expensive to buy (not used, at least not now). Not sure how the "daily drive" feel is. Probably not any cheaper when you figure more $$ for diesel, and filters, etc.

- V6 - all around great engine no one seems to have complaints. Will tow and do its job. Might run in a lower gear and rev more at 3-4K a lot. Overall a great compromise. Cheap and available.

- V8 - Great tow vehicle, worse mileage overall. Some reliability issues (exhaust manifolds, water pumps?). Much harder to find used. Slightly more $$ up front. Better daily driving feel.

Really really looking forward to ANY opinions and advice, even as far as the search in this crazy car world right now goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 11:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You also looked through the buying a used WK2 thread ?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...d-wk2-4376453/

Only consider the diesel if you really want one, don't bother with cost comparisons. Several here love them. Tons of torque but it is a diesel. They can have catastrophic failures, doesn't seem to be a simple problem they tend to fail in a big way, not unlike most diesels now days. Depending on where you live, removing emissions may get you in trouble locally. I've read here that the latest updates, one released just a month or so ago, livens up the CRD enough that pulling emissions crap may not be worthwhile. Jeep dealers that also service RAMs seem to do a better job.

If you plan to venture off road, the additional trim and cladding of the High Altitude may get in the way of larger tires. You should be able to find an Overland with all the tech options you want, and in a V8. A 4WD V8 will have tow package std, Overland and above. V8s are easier to find in some areas, but by far they build more V6s. The V6 will have ESS where the V8 won't. For some thats enough to only look at V8s. A Trailhawk is an optioned up Limited. An Overland is a step up from a Limited. Besides style and a couple comfort features, A trailhawk and Overland are near identical. Overlands typically have 20 inch wheels, but they can be had with 18s.

The V6 has its problems, especially post 100k. The V8 is simpler old school engine, and more durable on the average. I would say the V8 is less prone to reliability issues. You don't buy a WK2 for mileage, not much difference in the long run unless you are always driving in stop and go trafic. The V6 is lighter and has more than adequate power, but towing heavy will put stress on them. Take it easy and you'll be fine regardless.
99SK04GTX likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 12:20 PM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinker View Post
...I've basically narrowed it down to a Trailhawk with the luxury/tech packages, and Overland with the tech packages, or a High Altitude which is pretty close to the other two in terms of goodies...
Good idea, but don't count on that info being correct, look at the pictures for the front and rear to see if they have those attached.
Also, since you are looking at a 2018+ I would look at EVERY one for sale in my range that may or may not be equipped like you want. Sounds like you have the same type of equipment desires as me. I can say a 5.7 with 8sp will run very nice. I had a 2015 Charger with that, much nicer than the 5/6 speed auto. I would seriously consider a 3.6 V6 for my next WK2, but you mention towing, so I'll leave that to others.

Make a spreadsheet with EVERY Jeep you are considering, put an actual link to the ad for it, and to
https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsti...kerPdf.do?vin= with the vin added, so you can quickly compare and find out exactly what that Jeep was built with. Add in price, distance, miles, and a column for every major option group and color.
I had one I made when I was looking for my current Challenger (originally looking for a Charger) but I can't find it.
Personally I would have a hard time choosing between a comparably equipped Trailhawk or Overland, mainly which seat material and dash appearance do you want I guess. And do you want 18" or 20" wheels, better to get them stock over aftermarket later.

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)

post #4 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 12:35 PM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Here is what my sheet looked like at one time,
I used Conditional Formatting for ranking price, miles, original MSRP, and made up a "value" column with price/msrp being a factor, then options I wanted checked off in green, ones worth noting but not really a concern in yellow, then the links to each one.
FWIW, I didn't get any of those, I ended up with a Challenger instead, but I did the same thing with those.
To me, I LOVE the hunt for each of my next custom ordered used cars.
I know people that go to "their guy" at 1 dealer, and pick from what is there, I cannot understand that at all. I live near Pittsburgh, PA and my last cars over the last 6 years for me and my wife came from Ohio(2 cars about 180 miles away) Pittsburgh (30 miles away), Virginia (2 cars about 200 miles away)
Attached Thumbnails
search.jpg  

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)
post #5 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 01:32 PM
oldmac1
2018 WK 

Currently driving a 18 HA V6 and consider it a great engine for daily use but having had a few Hemi's I have to say that I miss my Hemi's. Luv the V6 and it tows ok, but it is not a Hemi on the hills around here, especially towing. Now trying to decide if I keep this HA until the Wl75 (new wk2) is out for a while, or do I go ahead and buy a Wk2 Hemi that has made me enjoy driving? If it were me trying to decide which one to purchase, I would really give them a extensive test drive or two. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with either engine, but I miss my Hemi's.

Oldmac1
18 High Altitude
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited
post #6 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 02:28 PM
Bilko

Unless you only plan to tow these rigs in the flatlands I would go for a V8. The real-life gas mileage between the V6 and V8 is only a few MPG....... as long as you don't drive around with your foot on the floor. When towing the V8 may even deliver better gas mileage.

The diesel option is a towing beast but the US version of these engines with all the extra emission control systems appear to have some issues. They are also complex so you will probably have to go to a dealer for any repairs $$$$
post #7 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Matt_H

Given what seems like you will be doing some regular towing, I'd go with the V8. I have the V6 and love it. Tow occasionally and does the job perfectly fine. But if I towed as often as I used to, I'd prefer a V8. You may end up negating better V6 mpg when not towing with worse V6 mpg when towing if you do it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
indymtb likes this.
post #8 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
jbrinker

Thank you everyone for your perspectives so far. You have basically confirmed what I had more or less figured out. CRD = too much risk for me, in terms of possible expensive repairs. I do a lot of my own wrenching and its just really not possible on that.

I did drive those two trailhawks back to back, one V6 and one V8. I much preferred the V8, but not to the point where I would not ever drive a V6. The V8 just seemed to have much better low end power and was smoother overall. And no stop/start is a bonus.

Trim-wise I guess the fact that Jeeps are so customization is both a blessing and a curse. I have found everything from Limiteds loaded up to be almost a Summit, to plain-Jane Overlands with zero options. Mainly I want:

V8, Tow (comes with V8, I forgot that...), the advanced safety package, and the tech package (the names seem to vary by year and model). Essentially the parking sensor stuff, safety stuff, and adaptive cruise. Heated seats, heated steering wheel. Dont care about cooled seats, and the regular stereo is fine (dont need the 19 speaker one).

I have been viewing the window sticker for each that I have looked into, and have a list of the options/packages that I want to find. I have found a few, but each time I call, its sold. The market is super hot right now, and waiting till next year would probably make sense, but I want to keep my eyes peeled and be actively looking in case I do find one that is what I want and available.

I am actually not a huge fan of the High Altitude, I don't like the lower body moldings and the "hide a hitch" rear bumper. But there are a lot of them and they seem to get a lot of stuff for the price. Ideally I'd like to find a loaded up Overland - I like that look the best, or Trailhawk, which I also like - except for the wheels. Not a fan of the "fan" style wheels (the wheels on the Cherokee Trailhawk are much nicer). But I also would rather have the 18 than 20, so whatever, maybe swap wheels around after the fact regardless of what I get.

I also found some 25th (Silver edition?) limiteds that have almost everything you would get on an overland. Except the air ride, but DO have load leveling rear suspension. That sounds attractive to me, might expand the search for those.

In years past I have been a spreadsheet guy too - and still am - but I am finding that the market is so hot right now I have to basically be ready to pounce when I find a deal. Not much time for comparison. I have lost 3 now by waiting only one day. And prices are going up.. every day.
post #9 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
jbrinker

Oh - one other thought - Ive been trying to find a Jeep Certified - love having a 7/100 powertrain warranty. But wondering what that is really worth - i.e. is buying the Maximum Care warranty aftermarket just as good (for the same limits)? Seems like in most cases that warranty would be 2-3K. So I can compare buying say from a Chevy dealer with no warranty vs Jeep Certified at a Jeep dealership.
post #10 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 04:22 PM
Bilko

If you are leaning towards a V8 you need to move now, in the last few years Jeep didn't make that many and they can be hard to find and/or expensive.

Many WK2 owners are looking to upgrade before the Grand Cherokee becomes just a rebadged Fiat/Alfa so the market is hot.
post #11 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 04:59 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

The stop/start is a deal breaker for me, but itís easily able to be defeated. I take photos for our downtown tourism group and walking along the sidewalk with a GC with stop/start rolling beside me in traffic restarting about 20 times in two blocks would have me turning that thing off immediately. The Pentastar is a great engine, even for light towing, but the small mileage difference, the ZF 8 speed mated with the V8 and QuadraDrive (now also available on the V6) sold me back in Ď14. No issues since new as well!

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #12 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
If you are leaning towards a V8 you need to move now, in the last few years Jeep didn't make that many and they can be hard to find and/or expensive.

Many WK2 owners are looking to upgrade before the Grand Cherokee becomes just a rebadged Fiat/Alfa so the market is hot.
^ This.

I've actually had my local dealer bug me at least twice about trading in my Trailhawk because they told me flat out they could get big $$ for it.

The only thing I would trade it for is another new loaded TH in white, with all the options like mine. They don't have one and can't get it in trade from another dealer.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #13 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
jbrinker

I'm ready to jump, time to start calling again tomorrow. I figure I'm going to have to travel a few hundred or maybe more miles to find what I want. Kicking myself for not buying the 2019 red LOADED trailhawk I drove a few weeks ago, 16K miles, certified, and $36K. Only hesitated because I was not a huge fan of the BRIGHT red color (I like the metallic darker red). By the time I called the following Monday, it was gone.

I think the big problem right now is that Jeep is not getting many new vehicles at all... And neither is anyone else. What is up with not being able to even order the V8 on the Jeep site anymore?
post #14 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 06:14 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
The WK2 is dead. What's in the pipeline now is all there will be.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #15 of 48 Old 06-03-2021, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
jbrinker

Really? So when I asked about ordering one and he said "8-10 weeks" he was wrong? Or has the ordering closed in the past week or so?

Anyway - difference between full air suspension vs rear load leveling - I'm comparing an overland with a loaded up limited with the V8 and rear load leveling. I have heard both good and bad about the air suspension. Positives - more soft ride, adjustable. Negatives - expensive to fix, might leave you stuck when it does. I know nothing about the load leveling - I assume its special shocks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in