Heated steering wheel still defective - 2018 GC Sterling - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 AM
varoadking
2018 WK 

If you you the remote start, it should stay on. Mine does at least...otherwise...mine will also time-out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 Old 01-27-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Welp.. 4th visit and I was promised a software update that could fix it. Sat at the dealership for three hours on Friday and they said my software was up to date and they were sorry. Service manager told me that Jeep recently bought back a vehicle that was coming to his dealership for this exact issue. Called a lawyer on Friday afternoon and they have accepted my case. Tired of chasing this for a fix.
post #18 of 34 Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 AM
M3_Jeep

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManSJ View Post
Welp.. 4th visit and I was promised a software update that could fix it. Sat at the dealership for three hours on Friday and they said my software was up to date and they were sorry. Service manager told me that Jeep recently bought back a vehicle that was coming to his dealership for this exact issue. Called a lawyer on Friday afternoon and they have accepted my case. Tired of chasing this for a fix.

Have you tried a different dealer? I have a 18 Sterling that had the same problem. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and they did a software update and its finally fixed.

post #19 of 34 Old 01-28-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Jeep View Post
Have you tried a different dealer? I have a 18 Sterling that had the same problem. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and they did a software update and its finally fixed.
I'll have to try that next
post #20 of 34 Old 01-31-2019, 11:02 AM
Roadijeff

I can confirm that, at least in my '18 GC, having the heated steering wheel stay on is related to the air temp. I've tried it with both remote start and normal and it doesn't seem to make a difference. However, the last few days the temp has been in the single digits and the heat stays on for my entire 35 minute drive to and from work. In the past, it would shut off before I got there if the temp was in the 30s.
post #21 of 34 Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadijeff View Post
I can confirm that, at least in my '18 GC, having the heated steering wheel stay on is related to the air temp. I've tried it with both remote start and normal and it doesn't seem to make a difference. However, the last few days the temp has been in the single digits and the heat stays on for my entire 35 minute drive to and from work. In the past, it would shut off before I got there if the temp was in the 30s.
It was 8 degrees here yesterday, mine never stayed on for more than a minute.
post #22 of 34 Old 02-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Reading all these posts and from my own experience with the heated wheel I believe I understand how it works. Much like a modern building HVAC system, there is a temperature and time reset that makes the wheel hotter and keeps it on longer as the ambient or cabin temperature decreases. So there are other possibilities besides software that could be your problem. If the system thinks it's much warmer for space or OSA temp because that sensor(s) is off by several degrees, the software could be fine. Maybe suggest that to the dealer and see if there are any hardware diagnostics they could do?
MailManSJ likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety - Luxury group - Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails
post #23 of 34 Old 02-09-2019, 09:11 PM
andyo5
2018 WK 

The past few times that I turned on the heated steering wheel, it stayed on for the entire trip (30 to 45 minutes). IDK why it is now working normally, but it is. It quickly heats up to a too-warm temperature, then settles back to a more pleasent heat level. I am happy with the way it is working now.
post #24 of 34 Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Dealer just had my GC for EIGHT days but finally replaced the steering wheel and it's FINALLY fixed. Took five visits to get the heated steering wheel issue fixed.
post #25 of 34 Old 02-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
I was pretty sure it was hardware, not software. Congrats.
MailManSJ likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
Rock Rails
post #26 of 34 Old 02-16-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
I was pretty sure it was hardware, not software. Congrats.
Thank you. I still have a lemon law case pending, should have results within 20 days according to my lawyer.. this has been insanely aggravating.
post #27 of 34 Old 03-04-2019, 08:37 PM
18JGCTH

Rented a 300 this past week and the heated steering wheel kept hot, almost too hot for me, for the 15 minutes I let it run. Now that works, unlike the "fix" from the TSB I had done. Looked like the same wheel based on the layout.
post #28 of 34 Old 04-22-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
I understand your frustration, but you will not win a lemon law litigation for an improperly working heated steering wheel. Have you tried PMing JeepCares?
My Lemon Law check is on the way from my lawyer.. will post when I receive. I signed off on the settlement last week.
post #29 of 34 Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Interested to know what this is worth to them.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
Rock Rails
post #30 of 34 Old 05-22-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
I understand your frustration, but you will not win a lemon law litigation for an improperly working heated steering wheel. Have you tried PMing JeepCares?

Here's the check I received today for my heated steering wheel Lemon Law case.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep settlement check.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in