Heated steering wheel still defective - 2018 GC Sterling - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Heated steering wheel still defective - 2018 GC Sterling

I purchased my 2018 GC Sterling in November 2017. I've gone to the dealership twice to have the heated steering wheel fixed to be told that there is still no fix available. The heated wheel doesn't get hot most of the time and turns off frequently. I've been in contact with Jeep through social media and email and have been told the same thing. We are just getting through the worst winter we've had on the East coast in years.

What recourse do I have if this doesn't get repaired soon? It may seem like a minor issue but I paid a lot for this truck and it's one of the features I would really enjoy using.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 AM
ACKGC

post #3 of 34 Old 03-23-2018, 05:25 AM
ACKGC

I have not had mine in for the fix which may or may not works by the looks. Will have it addressed when the car is in for it's next oil change

post #4 of 34 Old 03-23-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKGC View Post
I have not had mine in for the fix which may or may not works by the looks. Will have it addressed when the car is in for it's next oil change
Ive been told that this fix will not work for my VIN.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

So if there is no fix available what is my recourse? Lemon law? Something else?
post #6 of 34 Old 03-23-2018, 01:06 PM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
For what it is worth:
New Jersey’s New Car Lemon Law protects you when you purchase a new motor vehicle that develops serious warranty defects which the dealer or manufacturer cannot repair. The law covers vehicles during the first two years from the original date of delivery or 24,000 miles - whichever comes first.
To qualify for relief under the Lemon Law, the defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of your vehicle, or be a “serious safety defect” which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven.

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/New...f-Brochure.pdf

Not sure your issue meets minimum requirements (I guess 'value' may be applicable).
Cost is $50 to file an accepted complaint....imagine that, NJ wanting your $$ !!
post #7 of 34 Old 03-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Abeyance

Garage
"Ive been told that this fix will not work for my VIN."

Yeah, that's exactly what they told me about the missing pitch and roll tab in the Offroad Pages app. "Doesn't apply to your VIN." I was insistent. Eventually they found a service tech who mentioned that the Service Adviser computers only show 'mandatory' updates, but they have one in back that will show the 'optional' updates. Apparently it was a 'optional' update because a day later they had it all resolved, even on my VIN that it didn't apply to.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 AM
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManSJ View Post
I understand your frustration, but you will not win a lemon law litigation for an improperly working heated steering wheel. Have you tried PMing JeepCares?
post #9 of 34 Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManSJ View Post
I understand your frustration, but you will not win a lemon law litigation for an improperly working heated steering wheel. Have you tried PMing JeepCares?
Several times. I have a case ID. I did a lemon law case for my 2010 GC’s radio about 8 years ago and got $3k. Had it in the shop 6 times and they couldn’t fix it. There was water getting to the AMP in the trunk, they eventually figured it out.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 PM
18JGCTH

Unhappy Hope But No Change

Had TSB 08-011-18 Rev. A applied and the wheel got the hottest ever for the short ride that lasted maybe 7 minutes. It's back to getting "warm" for about 2-3 minutes and then down to barely warm.

I typically only use the feature until the wheel is no longer cold which is just a few minutes...I'm not a "I need this on all ride" person. The 2011 didn't have this problem. Maybe they're scared of getting sued by people getting burned while driving and having accidents?
post #11 of 34 Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
MailManSJ
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18JGCTH View Post
Had TSB 08-011-18 Rev. A applied and the wheel got the hottest ever for the short ride that lasted maybe 7 minutes. It's back to getting "warm" for about 2-3 minutes and then down to barely warm.

I typically only use the feature until the wheel is no longer cold which is just a few minutes...I'm not a "I need this on all ride" person. The 2011 didn't have this problem. Maybe they're scared of getting sued by people getting burned while driving and having accidents?
They say they have a new software patch for my GC. Going tomorrow at 8:30AM.. fourth time I'm going for an alleged fix. Fingers crossed.
post #12 of 34 Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 PM
andyo5
2018 WK 

Mine always turns off after a few minutes.
post #13 of 34 Old 01-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Roadijeff

I've noticed that when it is fairly cold outside (15*F or less) mine tends to stay on for the entire time. When the air temp is 25-30 or warmer it only stays on for a few minutes.
post #14 of 34 Old 01-25-2019, 07:07 PM
andyo5
2018 WK 

I turned mine on this morning just to see how long until it turned off. The temperature outside was 37F, but it was alot warmer in the car because it had been in the garage. The heater turned off after 3 minutes. There must be a sensor measuring interior temperature and shutting off the heater based on an algorithm or some sort.
post #15 of 34 Old 01-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Mine works the same way. I haven't timed it but it definitely stays on longer when it's colder, no doubt about it.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety - Luxury group - Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in