Headlight HID D3S 2014 GC replace $450! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-27-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Headlight HID D3S 2014 GC replace $450!

2014 GC Summit has a burned out headlight bulb on passenger side. Jeep is at dealer for another recall and I asked them to check out the headlight and they confirmed burned out bulb. Quoted $450 to replace one bulb. I told them not to do it.

Now, how the heck to do it? The wheel well access hole appears worthless.

From the topside It was relatively easy to remove the round plastic cap on the backside of headlight after I moved the electrical (computer?) off to the side by releasing two plastic tabs and pulling it up.

Question is A - what precautions do I need to take because it is HID and high voltage? Just unhook battery?

Question B - is that black lever near the bulb base a lock ring which needs to be rotated to the left before bulb will come out?

Question C - are there little prongs around the outside of bulb assy which help hold it in place? I heard on pre-2014 models that they have these tiny clips and they are a biotch to deal with cause they are easy to bend when trying to install new bulb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-27-2019, 11:06 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Do a search as there are a lot of threads on this. OEM bulbs are around $160/pair. Better bulbs are around 180. Remove the air box for the driver side bulb and loosen the ballast for the passenger side. Donít bend the metal prongs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

I did a search and didnt find what I was looking for. Passenger side and I would like to know if there is a locking ring which has a lever and if I need to disconnect the battery first.

The Osram site says to disconnect the battery but cautions to know the battery reset procedure first. That added another item of concern, battery reset, huh, hadnt heard that before but they were just saying in general.

Anyone?

post #4 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is high voltage around a HID especially when first turned on, enough to be dangerous. You may be tempted to rely on the light switch being off, but I'd disconnect the battery for safety.

I see quite a few early model tips, If I recall correctly there is a YouTube video on the newer models.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 10:40 AM
DavidsCyclops

2014 WK 

I did not disconnect battery when I did mine.

I replaced mine with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KSBLDP/ OSRAM XENARC D3S HID Xenon Headlight bulbs 66340 Pack of 2

I had planned to only replace the burnt out one, but you could tell the difference between the new one and old one, so I replaced both. At about 179,000 miles.

If I remember correctly, there is a ring you turn about 90 degrees to be able to pull the bulb out, then you replace bulb and rotate ring back in place.

I removed the top of the air filter on driver side, and removed the electrical component that hangs on the front of the fuse box on the passenger side.

15 minute job, $90 for two bulbs. 53,000 miles later and still going strong.

14 GC Overland 3.6L 242,000 miles
05 GC Laredo 3.7L 412,646 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Thanks. What year was Yours?

Looks like there is a black lever which must be attached to the collar which secures the bulb, right?

Just got back from dealer. He said it was so expensive because the bulb was $250. I told him I could get 2 bulbs for $160. I didnt even get intothe labor. My regular mechanic told me it would be $80 labor. Dealer wanted $200.

I will look at it using my inspectio camera this weekend to get a better idea if I can do it. I am fairly mechanical and have been doing car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile, dirt bike and atv maintenance for 40 years. This is just such a tight area and I dont want to break anything.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 11:50 AM
DavidsCyclops

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfinger View Post
Thanks. What year was Yours?

Looks like there is a black lever which must be attached to the collar which secures the bulb, right?

Just got back from dealer. He said it was so expensive because the bulb was $250. I told him I could get 2 bulbs for $160. I didnt even get intothe labor. My regular mechanic told me it would be $80 labor. Dealer wanted $200.

I will look at it using my inspectio camera this weekend to get a better idea if I can do it. I am fairly mechanical and have been doing car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile, dirt bike and atv maintenance for 40 years. This is just such a tight area and I dont want to break anything.
I have a 2014 Overland. If I remember correctly you just spin the locking ring, and remove bulb. was a piece of cake after removing airbox, and the electrical component that hangs on the front of the fuse box.

14 GC Overland 3.6L 242,000 miles
05 GC Laredo 3.7L 412,646 miles

post #8 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

I applied a fair amount of force on this tab with my fingertip. Tried counterclockwise and clockwise. Didnt seem to want to easily move. Do you recall if this was the tab? I will try to attach a pic. I accessed the drivers side to get a better idea how to remove the bulb before doing the passenger side but had no luck with the ring.
Attached Thumbnails
5F972BDF-6717-4E42-95BF-A8B73484480E.jpg  
post #9 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Black plastic tab on right side of metal square box, just to the lower right of the word “electronic”
post #10 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 05:46 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

May be of some help They say to flip the tab down and the bulb comes right out.... Yours must be pretty tight.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #11 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Thanks. My concern is the tab doesnt easily move. If I apply more force I want to be sure it is in the right direction for fear the tab could break. Typically clockwise is to tighten and counterclockwise is to loosen. Moving the tab down would be clockwise and tighten, no?
post #12 of 28 Old 09-28-2019, 11:53 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfinger View Post
Thanks. My concern is the tab doesnt easily move. If I apply more force I want to be sure it is in the right direction for fear the tab could break. Typically clockwise is to tighten and counterclockwise is to loosen. Moving the tab down would be clockwise and tighten, no?
The tab sticks out from both sides, so push up on one side and down on the other. If youíre just pushing the tab on one side, you arenít getting enough force behind it. It clamps down hard on the bulb, so you DO have to push it hard.

post #13 of 28 Old 09-29-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Thank you eveyone for your patience. I will try to get a better look/feel for a second tab.

This is a link which appears to show real well what the ring looks like and which direction it needs to turn. Tell me what you think.

post #14 of 28 Old 09-29-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Thanks for the help. Knowing about the 2nd tab really helped. Very hard to get my fingers on both tabs so I fabbed a simple tool. Turn the ring counterclockwise to loosen, about 1/4 turn. The bolts protrude approx 2 1/4” from the flat and are approx 2 1/4between them. The flat part rests on the round rim of the access hole and the bolts go on the bottom side of one tab and on top of the other. Makes it super easy to turn the ring.

I did the drivers side and assume it will work just as easily on passenger side. I didnt actually remove the bulb because I need to order them. HIDconcepts has those exact bulbs 2pk for $106. I may order 1 for a few $ more and if the light output is much brighter than my good one, I will order another to replace the working one too.

To remove the bulbs after the ring is loose, do you disconnect the wires first or can you do it after bulb is out of housing?

Also, assuming once the ring is loosened, just pull firmly straight back to remove bulb, correct?
post #15 of 28 Old 09-29-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Coldfinger
2014 WK 

Photo of tool

My tool to loosen and tighten the black plastic bulb retaining ring. It is a scrap piece of aluminum from my patio table and was already bent but doesnt need to be.
Attached Thumbnails
25D7D3D1-520C-4B50-AF14-DF0D960059C7.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in