Hatch Opens with Front Door - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-18-2021, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
tonypaskert

Hatch Opens with Front Door

I have a 2018 Grand Cherokee with 30,000 miles, every now and then when I open one of the doors, when it isn't locked, the back hatch opens up. It doesn't do it every time but it does it quite often. It does it more it seems like when I open the passenger front door. Any ideas? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-19-2021, 09:45 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

What model? (Laredo, Limited, Overland...) Do you have passive entry (touch the door handle and the doors unlock)?

For the hatch to open, there needs to be a CAN message sent from the BodyControl Module to the Liftgate module or the Liftgate module senses a hatch button push.

Perhaps when the dome lights switch on, a signal gets cross talked into, say the overhead console hatch switch, and that caused the latch to open. A bad connection or ground somewhere.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 5 Old 09-23-2021, 12:17 PM
Steve.A

2005 WK 

Sounds suspiciously like some of the electrical gremlins I had with a Jeep KK. Ghostly door unlockings and other strange phenomena stopped after I replaced the TIPM. The TIPMs for the WK2 and the KK are very different, but I suspect that some of the gremlins caused by cracked circuit boards under the fuses and relays, within the TIPM could be suspect. In my case, in checking the various wiring diagrams, I found that every suspect circuit went through the TIPM, the common denominator. Replacing that with a rebuilt TIPM solved those issues.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2021, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
tonypaskert

Overland and yes it has the touch open
post #5 of 5 Old 09-24-2021, 12:26 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You don't by any chance have something in your pocket that presses the FOB when you are opening a door. I used to often find the hatch open on mine, or it opened as I bent over to pick up something, until I put a plastic guard on the FOB. Otherwise open the hatch via the overhead console a couple times, see if that clears up the issue, or makes it worse.

Steve, the Overland model with power liftgate uses CAN messages to open/close the hatch, not a TIPM discrete wire. But the TIPM can go wild and cause a number of ghostly issues. The module that controls the liftgate is located in a rear quarter panel.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in