2Likes
  • 1 Post By PwnCall
  • 1 Post By ceb1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-17-2020, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Clay!
2014 KL Cherokee 

Grand Cherokee

I live in N. IL. How can I improve ice/snow traction with an independent rear end?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 03:46 PM
wickedace
2014 WK 

Get good tires rated for snow duty first then learn how to use your 4 wheel drive system appropriately. I'm retired and have Quadratrac II so no worries. I just stay at home until the roads clear, no need messing up my nice clean Summit and have to wash it again.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 04:05 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You do have brake traction control, so its not an entirely independent rear end. Works pretty good.

Otherwise install Bridgestone Blizzack tires which are about as good as you can get for street snow and ice. The compromise leads to high wear at 45+ degrees when driving on the highway and not as good dry road traction. There are low profile chains you can install when needed if you want to go that route.

There are several in-between tires with one compromise or another that are all better than the OEMs on ice and snow, but don't wear as fast at the Blizzacks. I like Michelin Defenders myself.

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 04:22 PM
PwnCall

Garage
But it’s an suv with off road capabilities all seasons work great!

/sarcasm
Gypsy1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 04:32 PM
Bilko

Off Road meaning that's where you end up after an icy spin out:-)

The best solutions are to slow down or get real winter tires. You also need to be careful if you are the only guy in town with winter tires otherwise you will get rear ended. You see this every year in Sweden when the early adopters start using snow tires before the regulatory change over day.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2020, 05:00 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Answer: Snow tires
post #7 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Clay!
2014 KL Cherokee 

Thanks for the response. I have a rear-drive only Diesel Grand Cherokee. I am presently running new Michelin Defenders, and have a set of General Arctic Grabber, Severe Service rated dedicated winter tires that I can use later. Thanks again.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Clay!
2014 KL Cherokee 

Thanks for your suggestions. I have only rear-drive on this Diesel, and an currently running Michelin Defenders, and so far this winter they have been surprisingly good. I have General Grabber Arctic Severe Service rated as a back-up. Are there any rear-end Torsen- type differential up-grades that could work?
post #9 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Clay!
2014 KL Cherokee 

Good point. I understand the hidden cost of being the only one with real winter tires, as I have already witnessed a truck rear-ended after the other 4X4 hit the brakes well in advance of the stopped truck. We have a comical abundance of Chevy Astros running bald tires, that seem like time bombs among us,...accidents just waiting to happen, no matter how much we spend on tires.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 02:04 PM
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedace View Post
Get good tires rated for snow duty first then learn how to use your 4 wheel drive system appropriately. I'm retired and have Quadratrac II so no worries. I just stay at home until the roads clear, no need messing up my nice clean Summit and have to wash it again.
HAHA, good advice. I do the same. I have a 96 Cherokee that I drive in bad weather if I have to get out. Only emergency might be if I run out of beer otherwise I stay home and Keep my Grand Cherokee clean.
HT
post #11 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay! View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I have only rear-drive on this Diesel, and an currently running Michelin Defenders, and so far this winter they have been surprisingly good. I have General Grabber Arctic Severe Service rated as a back-up. Are there any rear-end Torsen- type differential up-grades that could work?
I think if you mentioned you were using decent snow capable tires, you may not have gotten as much grief.

The rear end on the WK2 is a custom corporate housing and gear set. There is no aftermarket. You may be able to replace it with a ELSD housing, but you would need to set up a computer to control it. May not be worth it as traction control will keep you going. Starting out from a start it could help a lot, however, I would think.

BTW, I am using Defenders now, a nice tire. I have a set of Blizzaks as backups and they are better on ice and snow pack, but the defenders eat up snow, so I’m now using them year round. I am familiar with grabber severe duty, and they are not quit as good in the nasties as the Blizzack. Dry roads are a different story, if not carefule the driver in front will stop and you will slide right by

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #12 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 07:01 PM
Nydamon

Garage
He should have received grief for the "abundance of Chevy Astros running bald tires" comment

2020 GC Limited 3.6L White/Lt Frost: Luxury Group II, Tow Group, ProTech II, Lighting Group
post #13 of 14 Old 01-24-2020, 07:20 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydamon View Post
He should have received grief for the "abundance of Chevy Astros running bald tires" comment
The Chevy Astro is quite a capable vehicle. Bald tires not so much. A coworker had one in AWD when I was stationed in Germany. With snows we took that thing everywhere.

Yes, being able to stop better that others can get you rear-ended but there is a good chance that you'd have gotten rear-ended anyway after you ran into the car in front of you.

But your insurance company will be happier if you are the hitee rather than the hitter.
Nydamon likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Clay!
2014 KL Cherokee 

Roger that. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in