GC High Altitude vs Altitude Decision? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
roesler723

GC High Altitude vs Altitude Decision?

Hi everyone, I have been researching the possible purchase of a Grand Cherokee and am hoping to get some insight from the community. I have never owned a Jeep and am having a difficult time figuring out what is the smarter choice between some High Altitude and Altitude trims I have found locally. Both are a massive upgrade from my current car so I'm sure either would be great, but I want to make the best choice. Below are some options that have caught my eye:

#1: 2016 High Altitude, 62k miles, 1-owner originally leased, $25.9k. This is at a Nissan dealer and has been for sale since January so I feel that could give some leverage to negotiate.

#2: 2016 High Altitude, 37k miles, 1-owner, $26.9k. This is at CarMax and has also been for sale since January but they do not negotiate right? That would likely take this option out.

#3: 2017 Altitude, 35.5k miles, 1-owner, $26k being sold from a Chevy dealer.

#4: 2017 Altitude, 42k miles, 1-owner, $26k recently listed from a Jeep dealer.

The High Altitude is more aesthetically pleasing overall (always loved the HID headlights) and I think I could negotiate #1 down since it has been for sale so long. But it does have higher mileage. Is the HA trim worth the mileage? I do like the updated look of the 2017 models over 2016, but for similar price, I am conflicted in what would be the better move. To make it even more challenging, there is a private sale for a 2015 Altitude with 67k miles asking $18k, but 2015 had some transmission challenges correct? Clearly I am conflicted.

As many of you are experienced with the GC, any advice is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 10:47 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The 2015 had a shifter that some don't like, some like. There is a recent thread.

The high altitudes have quite a few more bells and whistles that are very useful, but they can break and are expensive to replace. So worth is subjective.

Buy something you like, there is a buying a used WK2 sticky thread with what to look for.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 12:34 AM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
The High Altitude wonít be as good for offroading, if thatís in your plans. The front fascia is the same as the Summit and is not removable for offroading like the lower trim levels.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk | Hemi | MRR | Ridge Grapplers
08 Silver WK1 SRT8

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 03:42 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

With option #2 you could possibly still get the Jeep extended warranty. Iíd get the HA just for the features.

#2 has so many fewer miles that would be my preference.

OR.... keep looking.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 01:49 PM
DRKRED12

If you like #1 and you can negotiate the price down that is the one I would go with. More options and the mileage is not that terrible( national average 15,000 per year). You can purchase a Chrysler extended warranty for a vehicle that is not over 5 years old and up to 70,000 miles. research on this forum for the online Chrysler Dealers that sell the warranty at a discount. Peace of mind. Also consider how many miles you will drive per year. Good luck with your decision.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 03:02 PM
oldmac1
2018 WK 

If it were me I would test drive all of them and then select the one I felt best suited me. You happiness should be a big factor in your decision. Good luck on your selection.

Oldmac1
18 High Altitude
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited
post #7 of 10 Old 05-31-2020, 12:19 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Buy a new one at 0% interest....

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-31-2020, 07:01 AM
Chuckmiller

Based stricktly on what you have given and without getting into questions about your intended use, vehicle condition, service history, extended warranty, etc etc etc, which can be huge considerations, here are my thoughts:

If the Nissan dealer will negotiate down the price, #1 is likely the best "deal" of the 4 you have listed, even with the higher mileage because in my opinion 62k miles is nothing to worry about. If Nissan won't drop the price "enough" then #2 is the best choice because of the lower mileage.

As I'm sure you have seen, there are several models in between the Altitude and High Altitude, each one with increasingly more bells and whistles. The HA is up there with the Summit and the Altitude is somewhat near entry level. Based on that I'm surprised to see these 4 prices are so close together given just the 1 year difference. To me that makes the HA a far better choice since I like bells and whistles.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
roesler723

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Seems like most feel #1 is the best in terms of value if I could negotiate down, which was my thought as well.

I am not planning to off-road, just using as a daily commuter (about 13k-15k miles/yr) and likely family SUV in the next 3-5 years, which makes me feel the HA will be more enjoyable. The mileage was the main concern but it does not sound like much of an issue at 62k. I would be interested in adding the MaxCare lifetime warranty for peace of mind, especially with the extra bells and whistles (mainly quadra-lift).

I know there are other trims between HA and A, but I have just always loved the styling from these. I guess I would consider a Limited as well. They will all do what I need them to do.

I believe #2 is sold so that is out of the question. Any other feedback is welcomed about these options or any other options I may want to consider as well!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 12:27 PM
bicster
2016 WK 

I have 2016 HA - fabulous vehicle - love the bells and whilstes, even the air suspension (great for when it's snows or for helping grandma/grandad in and out of the vehicle). Turns plenty of heads too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in