Gas tank hole - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Slumpilufigus

Gas tank hole

Probably in if the dumbest things I have done. I had a piece of rebar stick through my gas tank and out aboutna dime sized hole. I put jbweld steel stick putty on it and that sealed it for a while. I recently noticed a small drip and took off the putty to try again and get the area as clean as possible. My question is, how can I get all of the gas out and what other options do I have. I do t really want to replace the tank as it is a PITA.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2019, 01:29 PM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

What year & model?

Tank for mine is $715 bucks. Yikes.

What type of plastic is it?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2019, 03:34 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is a one way valve in the filler. The shop manual says to disconnect the fuel line fitting in the engine compartment, run a hose to an appropriate container, and use a scan tool to run the fuel pump until the tank is empty. Depending on year, there is probably a way to keep the fuel pump running without a scan tool. If you can't get the pump working, you remove the tank and drain it through the pump module opening (remove the pump).

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 AM
tampamark
2015 WK 

Well, you already have a hole, all you do is stick a hose in the hole and use it drain the tank by siphon gravity. I would get a plastic that's of the same type material as the tank, HDPE most likely, then epoxy it right over the hole so that the plastic seals in the gas, epoxy isn't the only thing holding the gas.

I have been known to gettho fix in the old days, I would take a plastic gas can, cut the material out, epoxy it over the area and then also add a couple layers of fiberglass will over the whole thing to reinforce.

2000 TJ Sahara (sold)
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit - 6 cylinder Gas
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Slumpilufigus

Thanks for the help. I ended up pulling off the plug I originally had and letting it drain on flat ground , then I drove up on my driveway and some ramps to get the residual gas as far away as possible from the hole. The only issue is, there is always a little bit that make its way to the hole. I don't know how to keep it dry while I put the putty on. BTW, it is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

FYI, these are saddle type plastic tanks with two pickups and a hose between them. It saddles over the drive shaft. One side may drain out the hole but the other may still have gallons.

So you may want to park on a side hill (or jack one side up) to raise the hole side higher so what little fuel is in that side will drain away. Let it dry out for awhile. This is where smoking can be dangerous to your health....

We used to use those screw on rubber plugs to temporarily plug holes, the kind that expands as you tighten them down. You'd need to clean up the hole first, however.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #7 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM
tampamark
2015 WK 

Definitely need to clean up the surface. You don't need to drain the tank unless you are removing it, since you are just patching I would jack it up in whatever direction is needed for extra slope and have the gas away from the hole.

Does a 2012 have a gas cap (mine is capless in '15), if so open it to let fumes escape and doesn't push on your patch while it dries. If capless get out the funnel and put it in like you are filling from a can for same purpose.

2000 TJ Sahara (sold)
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit - 6 cylinder Gas
post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in