Full-Size Spare + Five Tire Rotation - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-21-2021, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Full-Size Spare + Five Tire Rotation

I'm soliciting opinions from the group. I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3. Stock size: 265 60 R18.

I know from experience that the spare tire in the Trailhawk is OK, not a doughnut but not full-size either. I use this WK2 to explore the forest roads in the Seattle area. If I were using this WK2 strictly for the street, I know (from experience) that if I get a flat, the spare tire is 'good enough' to get around on the street until I can get a replacement.

My question: given the off-road use of this vehicle, does it make sense to get a re-furbished wheel and a 5th tire, and go to a 5-tire rotation. I understand it's not the cheapest way to go, but I'm tempted to get a 5th tire in the rotation in case I get a flat tire. Or to extend the life of the 4 A/T tires I have. Time to make a decision soon.

Thoughts: overkill, overthinking, Old School?

Thanks
Quadra Drive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-21-2021, 09:32 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
For me it would depend on the trails. Bad enough that I'm expecting to take out a tire? Ya I would have a full size and rotate it in. Maybe even two.

Just rough trails? Your regular spare is probably fine.

I don't see a lot of trails these days, but I carry a full size spare (not rotated in), with a plug kit and a 12v air compressor. I've used the plug kit and compressor exponentially more than I've used a spare tire

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #3 of 20 Old 06-21-2021, 09:44 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you care, tires wider than 10 inches (255) will raise the cargo floor. A matching road wheel and tire will raise the floor about inch.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 06:17 AM
WK2Overland4X4

Another consideration is TPMS, and rotating the 5th wheel. That is usually the deal breaker now, but it is still possible, just 1 more thing to deal with.

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)
post #5 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 06:29 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
My spar is a 35 but i run 37s. Its mainly off road and nothing but hard trails....works fine. Even when i was at the 50th run of Fordyce with the Sierra trek. They have rules, spar must be with in 2" of tires on it.

Off road you should have a tire repair kit, air supply.......

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

R: Full-Size Spare + Five Tire Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
For me it would depend on the trails. Bad enough that I'm expecting to take out a tire? Ya I would have a full size and rotate it in. Maybe even two.

Just rough trails? Your regular spare is probably fine.

I don't see a lot of trails these days, but I carry a full size spare (not rotated in), with a plug kit and a 12v air compressor. I've used the plug kit and compressor exponentially more than I've used a spare tire
I appreciate this. When I bought this Trailhawk, it had 49,000 miles and Falken Wildpeak AT3's. The Falken's were showing wear, and it was time to think about replacing them. Then, driving down and arterial in the Seattle area, my driver's side rear tire took a big steel shard in the sidewall and went completely flat within 1/2 mile. The tire couldn't be repaired. The spare worked OK, until I could get a new set of tires.

As I think about it, my experience of getting a flat tire on the street tilts the question more toward a five tire rotation. If someone were mid-way through a tire wear cycle (~ 15,000 - 25,000 miles) and had 5 tires in the rotation and got flat (street or trail), then they could continue on with 4 tires and the factory spare.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Re: Full-Size Spare + Five Tire Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
If you care, tires wider than 10 inches (255) will raise the cargo floor. A matching road wheel and tire will raise the floor about inch.
This is a consideration I hadn't thought of, thanks.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
Another consideration is TPMS, and rotating the 5th wheel. That is usually the deal breaker now, but it is still possible, just 1 more thing to deal with.
In this case, if the 5th tires is in the vehicle, the dash will always show a TPMS error light, correct?
post #9 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 09:38 AM
OldPaint

Garage
OldPaint

I have a matching full size spare and wheel that I would love to put in rotation. Discount Tire insists that I cannot put a TPMS in the spare without confusing the system. Sure would be nice if the display would show air pressure at the 4 corners and the spare!
post #10 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 10:33 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are some vehicles that can get confused. Under normal conditions, to save battery life, the WK2 OEM TPMS sensors do not transmit unless they are rotating greater than 15mph, and then only once a minute or so. A stationary spare is not going to be transmitting anything, the monitor is not going to know its there, so there should be no confusion. And the Jeep system should adapt within a few miles of throwing the spare on, but it may be a bit confused while adapting. There are very few here that still attempt a five tire rotation, so the experience database is slim.

Note that there are some export markets were a sensor in the spare is required, but for those vehicles with compact or a narrower full size spare, the spare won't be equiped with a sensor..

The TPM sensor can be forced to transmit if using a special tool such as a TPM-RKE Analyzer. The vehicle must be stationary for more then 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence, or triggered by the test set.

Not many independent shop techs are familiar with the Jeep TPMS. The Jeep monitor doesn't probe sensors, it just receives whatever signals they are sending. The premium system will correlate sensor to tire by differences in signal level. The base system just alerts when one of the sensors reports low pressure, it has no way of knowing which sensor is reporting.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #11 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra_Drive View Post
I'm soliciting opinions from the group. I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3. Stock size: 265 60 R18.

I know from experience that the spare tire in the Trailhawk is OK, not a doughnut but not full-size either. I use this WK2 to explore the forest roads in the Seattle area. If I were using this WK2 strictly for the street, I know (from experience) that if I get a flat, the spare tire is 'good enough' to get around on the street until I can get a replacement.

My question: given the off-road use of this vehicle, does it make sense to get a re-furbished wheel and a 5th tire, and go to a 5-tire rotation. I understand it's not the cheapest way to go, but I'm tempted to get a 5th tire in the rotation in case I get a flat tire. Or to extend the life of the 4 A/T tires I have. Time to make a decision soon.

Thoughts: overkill, overthinking, Old School?

Thanks
Quadra Drive
Which drive system does the Trailhawk use, is it full-time AWD/4WD? In my experience, the tire wear on WK2s with the basic, full-time AWD system is very even so I would question the value of tire rotations unless you are running more aggressive offroad tires. Sometimes these tires can get noisy if you don't rotate them. I am running the same tires as you and after about 20,000 miles the wear is even.

The decision point for me would be, where do you offroad? If you plan to head to more challenging, remote areas I would get a full-size spare. If its only a spare, you don't need a fancy wheel or TPM.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-22-2021, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Which drive system does the Trailhawk use, is it full-time AWD/4WD? In my experience, the tire wear on WK2s with the basic, full-time AWD system is very even so I would question the value of tire rotations unless you are running more aggressive offroad tires. Sometimes these tires can get noisy if you don't rotate them. I am running the same tires as you and after about 20,000 miles the wear is even.

The decision point for me would be, where do you offroad? If you plan to head to more challenging, remote areas I would get a full-size spare. If its only a spare, you don't need a fancy wheel or TPM.
Bilko: Yes, these are some good thoughts. This Trailhawk (all of them, pretty sure) has the Quadra Drive AWD system. Hadn't thought about tires wearing evenly, I have it in my mind that tires should be rotated. Whether they need it or not.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-18-2021, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Confirmed. Overthinking prevailed over logic and I bought a 5th wheel and Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 with the intent of going to a 5 tire rotation.

When putting the a full size 5th tire in the spare tire rear well, it is oversized by about 1/2 inch.

What I noticed is the factory 'near sized spare' is very space efficient the way it incorporates the jack and a couple of storage bins.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-19-2021, 09:35 AM
Bilko

Is this extra 1/2inch in diameter or width/height? If it's height, have you tried removing the styrofoam donut that sits under the spare wheel? This can make enough difference to allow the trunk floor to fit flush.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-19-2021, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Is this extra 1/2inch in diameter or width/height? If it's height, have you tried removing the styrofoam donut that sits under the spare wheel? This can make enough difference to allow the trunk floor to fit flush.
The issue is the height. The diameter of the tire is OK and it fits into the well.

About the styrofoam doughnut, I'm not sure. I'll take another look.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in