Fuel Pump Replacement on 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
LoneStarJeep11
2011 WK 

Fuel Pump Replacement on 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2

Has anyone done it yet? Is it hard? I bought a new oem fuel pump off Ebay and now I am looking for install directions online and coming up short. Dealer wanted ~$900 for the part and install and I said pass..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You drop the tank and pull it from the top. The tank is a saddle type with the fuel pump on the left side and the auxiliary module on the right side. There is a common lock ring wrench that you can use to rotate and release the ring. There are index marks you should take note of (take a picture) before removal, and make note of the pump orientation. Careful to not damage the float arm. You may have to bend it a little as you slowly pull the pump. You pull it out just far enough to disconnect the aux connection at the bottom. There will be fuel in the pump, it will spill when you tip it.

Installation is the reverse, make sure all the index marks are lined up and all seven notches are engaged.

To drop the tank, first release the fuel system pressure and disconnect the battery. Pull the filler hose and purge lines from the tank, remove the muffler. The ORVR vapor and vacuum lines have quick-connect fittings. Remove the propeller shaft. Disconnect the electrical connector at the rear crossmember, remove it from its tab and push it aside. Take the left side body skid plates off, if equipped. Disconnect the fuel supply line quick-connect fitting. Support the tank (there is an adapter available for this) and remove the tank support strap retaining bolts.

Installation is the reverse.

Before you drop the prop shaft, put index marks on the flanges and cases so it goes back in the same place. To remove the shaft you drop the exhaust system loosen the ends, remove the center bearing heat shield and loosen the center bearing bracket. You pull the shaft from the axle pinion shaft first.

Good luck
Attached Images

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
LoneStarJeep11
2011 WK 

Thank you for such a detailed response ColdCase! How long do you anticipate this taking someone replacing in their driveway with mediocre mechanical skills?

post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarJeep11 View Post
Thank you for such a detailed response ColdCase! How long do you anticipate this taking someone replacing in their driveway with mediocre mechanical skills?
Dunno, I never done it. Some bolts on a 2011 may be a little rusty, especially around the exhaust. How far are you from a hardware store in case you need to replace some? How many beer breaks are you going to need?

You need to lift the Jeep high enough to drop the tank and pull it out from under, with room for the jack and tank holding supports. A second set of hands to handle the exhaust and tank would probably be extremely useful, and don't do this with a full tank... that could be heavy.

I'd make sure I had a full day set aside for this, but there are so many variables its hard to predict.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
LoneStarJeep11
2011 WK 

Could someone please offer up their assistance please? I am stuck trying to take off the drive shaft. When I turn the nut the bolt on the back side just keeps spinning..I cannot fit an 18 socket into the backside to stop it from spinning. How are you supposed to take this off??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yo514c0qbv...13332.jpg?dl=0
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2017, 01:22 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its it metal around the bolt head or rubber. Have you tried wedging a screwdriver between the bolt flat and housing and then try spinning the nut? Sometimes long nosed vicegrips can grab the bolt head. Does the thread end of the bolt have a square section similar to a shock?

I know not much help.....

post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
LoneStarJeep11
2011 WK 

Ive attached pictures of the front middle and rear of the drive shaft. Im at a loss for how to take this thing out. Ive had no luck finding anything online either

https://www.dropbox.com/s/am546xn4ti...50739.jpg?dl=0
Front

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w5d75ytp7...50742.jpg?dl=0
Middle

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6f6qonrqu...50746.jpg?dl=0
Rear

Surely someone can swoop in for the rescue?? Coldcase?
post #8 of 8 Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
LoneStarJeep11
2011 WK 

I finally got the gas tank out...this is absolutely ridiculous Jeep. Installation of new fuel pump will commence tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in