Front License thing - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Front License thing

I'd like to remove this bento box license plate bracket...any ideas what to do about the holes??? .... the thing is way too obtrusive....

Attached Thumbnails
front license.jpg  
jksgvb likes this.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 01:46 PM
96OrvisEd

I get it! Hate front license plates....they can destroy the look of a nice ride! That's one thing that Pennsylvania got right! If the front plate holder is anything like the rear there will only be two holes for the top. Somehow that holder will disassemble from the back...then you should be able to get to the screws. I'd probably use black silicon to carefully plug the holes...you could hardly notice on a black Jeep is my bet.
CrimsonGhost likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 01:59 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
most dealers just use what is like a wood screw into that plastic. silicon? well maybe if the OP dont care about looks, seems though that is the topic "looks". Two ways; repair the holes and paint it to match or use a black plastic push in plug, like the many used on today's vehicles/ a better looking screw; maybe stainless. depend on if the what to camouflage it make it stand out.

you could mount a fair lead there and a fake winch line end.........

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OrvisEd View Post
I get it! Hate front license plates....they can destroy the look of a nice ride! That's one thing that Pennsylvania got right! If the front plate holder is anything like the rear there will only be two holes for the top. Somehow that holder will disassemble from the back...then you should be able to get to the screws. I'd probably use black silicon to carefully plug the holes...you could hardly notice on a black Jeep is my bet.
Hate it too--it's ridiculous...I hope you're right about the holes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
most dealers just use what is like a wood screw into that plastic. silicon? well maybe if the OP dont care about looks, seems though that is the topic "looks". Two ways; repair the holes and paint it to match or use a black plastic push in plug, like the many used on today's vehicles/ a better looking screw; maybe stainless. depend on if the what to camouflage it make it stand out.

you could mount a fair lead there and a fake winch line end.........
that's what they did w/ the 08 my daughter is now driving....used these ridiculously large screws to hold up...THE DEALER'S ADVERTISING TAG!!. I bought both slightly used, so can't complain there.

Being a life long Philadelphia Flyers fan, I first thought of a Flyers emblem tag, but they're just too cheap looking and common. If i could find a nice 3d all gloss-black Flyers emblem, and have the a very thin outline painted in red to match the trailhawks red accents....i think that'd be very nice...

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #5 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 03:01 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I either use a small rubber plug, a lot of hardware stores carry them, or a small screw, black caps in your case. You can also use one of those plastic decorative caps that fit over a screw head that some use to dress up the plate itself. A little more obtrusive but perhaps a more finished look. The body colored rubber plugs can be almost invisible.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
I either use a small rubber plug, a lot of hardware stores carry them, or a small screw, black caps in your case. You can also use one of those plastic decorative caps that fit over a screw head that some use to dress up the plate itself. A little more obtrusive but perhaps a more finished look. The body colored rubber plugs can be almost invisible.
thanks.. i think anything will be less noticeable than what i have now....

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #7 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 PM
ceb1

The easiest thing is this - assuming the dealer drilled the holes straight.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-29-2020, 10:18 PM
Roadijeff

Wow, $28 for two plastic plugs. I would hope that includes shipping.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-30-2020, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
The easiest thing is this - assuming the dealer drilled the holes straight.
thanks....looks pretty good....

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #10 of 19 Old 03-30-2020, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Homer1

Well, there are FOUR torx bolts into the thing; my torx set's at work...can't get to them....
At least i have jeepforum.com!!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #11 of 19 Old 03-30-2020, 04:07 PM
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
Well, there are FOUR torx bolts into the thing; my torx set's at work...can't get to them....
At least i have jeepforum.com!!
The OEM Jeep front license plate mounting bracket should have four (4) holes in it too mount the plate but should be secured to the front bumper skin with two (2) separate longer mounting screws. Not sure if someone screwed that up on your front bumper though??
post #12 of 19 Old 03-30-2020, 04:24 PM
96OrvisEd

The best thing you can do initially is remove the plate holder and see what you are dealing with. I agree that most dealers just keep a drawer full of wood screws to attach plates with...kinda lame if you ask me doing that to a new $40,000+ vehicle! I had a difficult time attaching a nice plate holder to the rear of my new Altitude...actually it was alot of work to do it right! It shouldn't be that difficult....Jeep can do better imo! There were only two holes for the rear plate.

The small plug idea might be a good solution as long as it's a proper fit and isn't noticeable. The responder who slammed my black silicon idea has never done that obviously, as it's a solid solution if done correctly. If done properly you will not see it! I care a lot about my rides and I'd never recommend something that I don't know will work. If you didn't have a black car that solution wouldn't work as well obviously.

Get under there and see if someone did any damage to the front bumper cover that can't be addressed in a manner that isn't ugly or feasible for you.

Good luck!
post #13 of 19 Old 03-31-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
The OEM Jeep front license plate mounting bracket should have four (4) holes in it too mount the plate but should be secured to the front bumper skin with two (2) separate longer mounting screws. Not sure if someone screwed that up on your front bumper though??
Thanks...but its actually the opposite in my case; four holes in the bumper, two in the bracket w/ slots in the bottom for the actual plate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OrvisEd View Post
The best thing you can do initially is remove the plate holder and see what you are dealing with. I agree that most dealers just keep a drawer full of wood screws to attach plates with...kinda lame if you ask me doing that to a new $40,000+ vehicle! I had a difficult time attaching a nice plate holder to the rear of my new Altitude...actually it was alot of work to do it right! It shouldn't be that difficult....Jeep can do better imo! There were only two holes for the rear plate.

The small plug idea might be a good solution as long as it's a proper fit and isn't noticeable. The responder who slammed my black silicon idea has never done that obviously, as it's a solid solution if done correctly. If done properly you will not see it! I care a lot about my rides and I'd never recommend something that I don't know will work. If you didn't have a black car that solution wouldn't work as well obviously.

Get under there and see if someone did any damage to the front bumper cover that can't be addressed in a manner that isn't ugly or feasible for you.

Good luck!
Thank you...i went to Home depot and bought some torx tips...fortunately HD's is deemed "essential"...
Here's a pic of what i have...I most likely would have to make the holes bigger for the bumper plugs, and I'm not sure I want to do that....BTW, the rectangles around the holes are just dirt marks from the shape of the bracket insets...
Attached Images

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #14 of 19 Old 03-31-2020, 05:52 PM
96OrvisEd

At least the holes are rather small and tight. You could try to push the raised edges toward the center of each hole so there is a smooth surface when waxing or wiping off....follow? Then, try painting the holes black with a small brush, for starts. That might be the simplest fix and may look just fine. The thing I don't like about any plug is they will be raised above the surface and noticeable imo....and when waxing the plugs are bound to collect wax and be hard to clean. I'd probably try my suggestion first.....can't make anything worse & it might look satisfactory. You could always get a price for a repaint from a good body shop as a last resort. If the bumper cover isn't hard to remove, for a few hundred dollars the problem would go away permanently! You could always wait until the bumper gets a few scratches, etc, then dive in for the body shop repair. I recently got rear ended in a drive-thru by a driver texting or God knows what in our MINI Countryman, and my body shop did a perfect repair that looks better than the original bumper cover was!
post #15 of 19 Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Homer1

I agree that would be a great first try...i could easily smooth the holes and get matching touch up paint...maybe even fill the holes....they are pretty small...#8 screw...thank you!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in