front of hood beginning to bubble - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-11-2020, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
stevenriz
2017 WK 

Garage
Unhappy front of hood beginning to bubble

just noticed this the other day. The front lip of my 2017 hood has some bubbling across the front of it. It is definitely beginning to corrode under the paint. There are no dings, few road chips but nothing unreasonable for a 2017. The carfax was clean, although I know that means nothing if somebody made some quick cheap repair or there was some repair from the factory before it was sold. Do I have any recourse against the dealer or available warranty? I purchased it certified a year ago last Nov. Now have 67k miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenriz View Post
just noticed this the other day. The front lip of my 2017 hood has some bubbling across the front of it. It is definitely beginning to corrode under the paint. There are no dings, few road chips but nothing unreasonable for a 2017. The carfax was clean, although I know that means nothing if somebody made some quick cheap repair or there was some repair from the factory before it was sold. Do I have any recourse against the dealer or available warranty? I purchased it certified a year ago last Nov. Now have 67k miles.
Unlikely that warranty will cover that as the problem is that moisture got in behind the paint because of rock damage. I'd go by a body shop and ask if they believe that there was some body work done in the past and get an estimate for repair.

Report back here and we'll try to help further.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-11-2020, 12:51 PM
elJeepo_00WJ
2011 WK 

Actually, maybe this would apply/cover you?

tsb_wk2_3100119.pdf

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

why is my jeep always breaking???

post #4 of 24 Old 02-11-2020, 07:37 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elJeepo_00WJ View Post
Actually, maybe this would apply/cover you?

Attachment 3888325

Good find. Thanks!
post #5 of 24 Old 02-12-2020, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
stevenriz
2017 WK 

Garage
Hey CEB, thanks for the comments. I agree it might be rock damage, I just left my 10yr old caddy with major chips in the hood with not one spec of a bubble or rust. Before that another 6 yr old Caddy that I traded the very same way. Maybe El Jeepo has a point if these hoods are aluminum, that might be the cause, possibly bad prep. Being a former body man and painter at the end, I know what needs to go into quality paint work. I'll go with that anyway

Thanks for the help. I hate having to refinish a 3yr old car but I will if nothing else pans out.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-12-2020, 09:38 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Hey CEB, thanks for the comments. I agree it might be rock damage, I just left my 10yr old caddy with major chips in the hood with not one spec of a bubble or rust. Before that another 6 yr old Caddy that I traded the very same way. Maybe El Jeepo has a point if these hoods are aluminum, that might be the cause, possibly bad prep. Being a former body man and painter at the end, I know what needs to go into quality paint work. I'll go with that anyway

Thanks for the help. I hate having to refinish a 3yr old car but I will if nothing else pans out.
Did you see the TSB posted by el_jeepo above? That looks like it apply and will get you a fix.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
stevenriz
2017 WK 

Garage
yep CEB, I did see it. I reached out to Jeep Customer Service as well. I'll report back my results. Great find!!!!
post #8 of 24 Old 02-13-2020, 01:22 PM
elJeepo_00WJ
2011 WK 

Quote:
yep CEB, I did see it. I reached out to Jeep Customer Service as well. I'll report back my results. Great find!!!!
Good luck! I was hoping that TSB covered 2011's as I'm starting to see the same issue. May be sol though.

why is my jeep always breaking???
post #9 of 24 Old 02-14-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
stevenriz
2017 WK 

Garage
Good luck! and thank you for the tip. Jeep customer service gave me an address of a dealer close to my house that I never knew was there. Bringing it in today. Service manager said we'll bring it to their body shop for an estimate and send it in to Chrysler and wait for an answer... Have a good feeling they will take care of it. thanks again.
post #10 of 24 Old 02-16-2020, 09:49 PM
WindyCity

They should cover it. The wife's 16 had some corrosion on the hood and they didn't even think twice about covering the hood and a grand cherokee loaner for 4 days. It's a 16 and even though it is very clean there are still a few chips they should be able to tell the difference.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM
yodablown

Hello. I own a 2015 and a 2017 Grand Cherokee. The 15 has been back 3 times and the 17 twice for the hood corrosion. Every time covered under warranty. There is a 5 year corrosion warranty.
I wish they would just replace the dam hood but they keep fixing them instead. I have zero trust that it wont come back and when it does for my 15 it will be out of warranty! Its a shame. Its an industry problem.My mustang also had the same issue and it was also covered.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-27-2020, 04:56 PM
FineProperty
2001 WJ 

My '04 WK had this issue. When my 2012 started to get it, in the exact same spot, the look of disappointment on my face was visible in the dealer.
It does have me looking at an alternate vehicle for the replacement...after 5 wk's. The 2019 still looks perfect, but I'll be watching it.

Rich Fine
2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8
2004 GC Limited 4.7 V8
post #13 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
stevenriz
2017 WK 

Garage
If they still haven't solved this problem after this many years, I am at a loss for words. Other than, it must be cheaper to repair then to solve in this case. What else can it be?
post #14 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 AM
ceb1

How can they not have resolved this? Does clearbra (Paint Protection Film -PPF) applied when new prevent the problem or does it allow FCA to deny warranty coverage?
post #15 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 02:09 PM
jjmagoo
2014 WK 

Seriously disappointed as I had this same hood bubble issue and went into the dealer I bought it from, he took a look at it and went "yup, that's what happens" then proceeded to tell me there's nothing they're going to do since apparently the corrosion warranty isn't covered any more. Not excited to hear that it's a continuous problem either, this is the first time I've had a negative thought about my GC.

Hoping to see if they'll do anything about it but sounds like there's no shot. On to the body shop it is then to spend some $$$.

2014 GC Limited (Duchess)
1997 TJ Sahara (Bailey) - SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in