Found the missing screen - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-18-2021, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
Found the missing screen

Well, in some 60 years of car ownership, a series of things have set in motion a winter long battle that has led me to discover the missing but very important filter in my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. As a point of reference, my 2015 GC was totaled by a distracted lumber delivery truck driver when he plowed into it at 60 MPH while I was stopped at an intersection waiting to make a left turn. He was playing with his GPS and slammed us without ever touching his brake. The GC folded up pretty bad, and proved to me I will never ever again own a vehicle without a factory installed tow package that was all that kept his bumper outside of the car. In any case, between injuries and Covid isolation, my 2019 has sat pretty much parked since I got it. Early this spring, I opened the hood to find field mice have all but destroyed the under hood sound dampener and all of the firewall sound dampener. It was then that I also discovered the Cabin air filter has a motor driven door that seems to close at times, open at times, or open part way at times. Also turns out that when the door is open or open part way, vermin have full access to the HVAC ductwork throughout the vehicle. In fact, at least on mouse tried to eat the Cabin Air Filter an used it as his personal urinal. So far, I think, based on smell none of the critters actually died in the ductwork, but on turns I hear an occasional noise that may be associated with the marble shaped green poison balls I was putting on the engine cover to encourage them to go someplace to die (before I found the access to the duct work. Looks like maybe Jeep should be thinking about a pre-screen like this to keep the critters out. My cost to construct, about $2.00 in material. Still wonder why after all these years, this was the first car attacked like this.

Attached Images

19GCTrailhawk and diverscale like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-18-2021, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
This is what it looks like without the screen. A wide open door for critters to enjoy the duct work and filter
Attached Images

19GCTrailhawk and diverscale like this.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-18-2021, 06:35 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The Italians make tasty pizza as well as sound dampeners. Its all in the spices.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 30 Old 04-18-2021, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
Sadly, they are not the least bit shy about what they charge for a replacement hood sound deadener. I have access to some stuff I'm going to try to do a driveway fix, but not much I can do about the firewall using basic hand tools.
post #5 of 30 Old 04-18-2021, 09:16 PM
jacko15
2014 WK 

Common issue with vehicles left outside, or even garaged. Some wiring insulation is now made of organic material the mice love to chew on, and create shorts and grounds. The filter box has long been a nesting favorite of small rodents. It doesn't take much of a hole for a mouse to get into a garage. I keep traps in my garage, and collect at least several a month.
desertdiver likes this.

Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6
ORA II
Hers: 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
post #6 of 30 Old 04-19-2021, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Common issue with vehicles left outside, or even garaged. Some wiring insulation is now made of organic material the mice love to chew on, and create shorts and grounds. The filter box has long been a nesting favorite of small rodents. It doesn't take much of a hole for a mouse to get into a garage. I keep traps in my garage, and collect at least several a month.
I was bothered by the fact they were eating the heck out of the sound deadener or using it for nesting material. I got worried when I found out that they had full access to the HVAC duct work and I had the potential for some really bad odors when the temperature got above freezing. So far, no smell. Now I just have to play around with the damage they did to see if I can make it look any better. I have a couple of sections of Aluminum backed HVAC ducts from when they redid the ducts in the house. Going to have to play to see if I can make that work. The poison balls----- well, all I can do there is hope they stop rolling around.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-21-2021, 05:03 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

I think this is a great idea. It's almost as if Chrysler should have thought of this. I like that your mod is made of metal and not plastic. After seeing your post I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I already have the 1/4" hardware cloth, but my question is how did you get it to stay in place.

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #8 of 30 Old 04-21-2021, 08:12 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

My 2016 has a curved cowl of plastic covering that opening you showed.

Has yours gone missing? Or did you remove it out of the way so we could see what the problem really was?

I am not sure the cowl offers any better protection for a determined mouse. But at least it is not open to the possibility of mice or torrential rain flowing down and getting sucked into that opening.

Here’s a picture of what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
image_1619057513698.jpg  
post #9 of 30 Old 04-21-2021, 08:16 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

And here is my old hood liner that I keep as a spare part after the mice destroyed mine while the car was sitting out on the driveway for a couple of months during house renovations. It seems to be a thing that mice teach each other.

This hole lined up above the driver’s side shock tower.
Attached Thumbnails
image_1619057789321.jpg  
post #10 of 30 Old 04-22-2021, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9496ZJs View Post
My 2016 has a curved cowl of plastic covering that opening you showed.

Has yours gone missing? Or did you remove it out of the way so we could see what the problem really was?

I am not sure the cowl offers any better protection for a determined mouse. But at least it is not open to the possibility of mice or torrential rain flowing down and getting sucked into that opening.

Here’s a picture of what mine looks like.
2019 Has no such cover. It is just wide open as the photo shows, with a electronically controlled door to open for normal or close for recycle. Seems like opening a car door opens the door to a half way position so sometimes when I open the hood it is wide open, stometimes it closes while I am working on it.
Gypsy1 likes this.
post #11 of 30 Old 04-22-2021, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GCTrailhawk View Post
I think this is a great idea. It's almost as if Chrysler should have thought of this. I like that your mod is made of metal and not plastic. After seeing your post I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I already have the 1/4" hardware cloth, but my question is how did you get it to stay in place.
To be perfectly honest, I cut the sheet of hardware cloth about an 2 inches longer side to side and i inch top to bottom to get a loose fit. Now, with the plastic out and on a workbench this would have been a snap, but that was not an option. Keep in mind the top is shaped like an arch, the bottom flat. The sides have a curve to them so you will need enough extra on the sides to make sure you have a snug fit when you are done folding everything. I made the first bend for the top over a piece of 1/8 steel as the top and bottom both have a lip (sides do not) and did a test fit that I had enough material to get a tight fit all along the top lip. Then did the same to the bottom lip. Sides were a matter of good leather gloves and bend until they were tight. I may follow-up with a bead of caulk on the sides to make sure I don't have any gaps. Bend on the passenger side (close to hinge) needed a bit of nipping to assure it did not rub. So far, I like it, and think it should have been there from the factory.
19GCTrailhawk likes this.
post #12 of 30 Old 04-22-2021, 02:05 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Hmmm. Very odd. Why would Jeep remove the cowl in your model year when it was working fine in 2016 model year?

Maybe ask your dealer or wholesale MOPAR parts source to look up the part from the 2016 and see if it still would apply to your 2019 (?).

Is it possible you had some work done around that area in the past? to change the windshield or something?
post #13 of 30 Old 04-22-2021, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9496ZJs View Post
Hmmm. Very odd. Why would Jeep remove the cowl in your model year when it was working fine in 2016 model year?

Maybe ask your dealer or wholesale MOPAR parts source to look up the part from the 2016 and see if it still would apply to your 2019 (?).

Is it possible you had some work done around that area in the past? to change the windshield or something?
The 2019 was purchased in Aug 2019 ( end of model year ) brand new end of year sale. It currently only has 2,500 miles on it as I spent most of the rest of 2019 recovering from the accident that totaled the 2015 it replaced. 2020 was spent going to doctor visits and treatments followed by Covid-19 restrictions so if it was supposed to have a cover, it would have had to have been left off in assembly. Can anyone with a 2019 Limited verify for me that there is no cover or cowl in that area? Actually, a cowl would make a lot of sense in that spot. The interior of the car gets a lot of dampness following several days of rain, and I can see how the cabin air filter could be the source of it.
post #14 of 30 Old 04-22-2021, 03:17 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

Nothing is missing, lost or forgotten to put back in place. This is the way late models are built. Thanks Rags I'm going to do the same thing.

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #15 of 30 Old 04-22-2021, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Rags722

2019 WK 

Garage
I did do a parts look up, and do not see the 2016 style cowl listed for 2019. However, if anyone with a 2019 wants to try and make their own screen, this part shows the general shape of what you will be dealing with. It is not just a nice easy oval, but you can't see that from my photo in the car. Oh, and in case you ever needed to replace it, the "part" cost is about $270. Air Inlet Housing - Mopar (68224184AA) https://www.moparoempartsdirect.com/...02bC12Ni1mbGV4 Also, just verified the assembly is the same for the 2016, so, the inlet cowl may or may not fit... Now I have to wonder why it was not on my car.... Top photo shows the underside of the cabin air filter. Top of the photo is the door you open to R&R the filter. However, bottom of the photo is the "snout" that is in the engine compartment so you have an idea of how to bend the hardware cloth to fit (Lowe's sells the hardware cloth in a 10' by 3' roll 1/4 inch squares for under $9.00 so you can screw up a bunch of times and still have material.). Lower photo is a view of the actual shape you are dealing with inside the engine compartment. Hope this helps if you try to build your own.
Attached Images

sabre364 and 19GCTrailhawk like this.

Last edited by Rags722; 04-22-2021 at 09:04 PM. Reason: additional info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in