Is This Forum Just For Americans? - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Error7

Is This Forum Just For Americans?

Signed up today because I have a problem with my 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.0 TD but all the recent posts I have looked at appear to be from American based owners.
I'll ask the question anyway just in case anybody has a solution to my problem.

I'm UK based, Manchester England, and I tow a 26' 5" caravan (trailer) with my Jeep. When reversing, my wife directs me by using her phone from the rear and I can hear her directions through my head unit. Unlike previous Chrysler's that I've owned, when I select reverse in the Jeep the hands free call gets disconnected.

I've checked the handbook and gone through all the options in the U-Connect but I can't find a way to override this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-18-2021, 01:46 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

This Forum is open to anybody, regardless of Country. Color or football club allegiance, United or City? It's a great community for Jeep Grand Cherokee owners. The only rules for participation are you have to be respectful of other members and appreciate this is a community forum so you may not get instant solutions to any problems you may have.

I am from Nottingham in the UK, not Nottingham in Maryland USA, I got deported to the US about 10 years ago. You need to be aware that the most popular WK2 in Europe is the 3.0 TD and they are not that common in the US because of all the extra emissions crap they have to install on them so it may be harder to get responses to engine-related questions. The V6 petrol engine is the biggest seller in the US but there are also many V8s including the Track Hawk that puts out more than 700bhp, can you imagine that in the UK? They are seriously fast but 10MPG is about the best you can get so you may not even be able to make it between Petrol stations.

I still don't see a reason why the BlueTooth would drop when you select reverse and it doesn't on my 2012. If you can't fix the issue, go on Amazon and get some cheap two-way radios, something like these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/motorola-Ta...7C37W5DZ&psc=1
Error7 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-18-2021, 01:56 PM
scott_0

2002 WJ 

there are some proud Americans here, but we aren't nationalist, I see quite a few posts from Aussies, Brits, Canadians, etc.

2018 GC Limited

post #4 of 18 Old 10-18-2021, 02:02 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, the radio in the 3.0TD should not work differently than any other UK WK2s.

Did your previous vehicles have park sensors or backup cameras?

Does it only drop the call when there is a trailer attached?

I don't recall this particular issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if its related to the park sensors detecting the trailer and the audio overriding the phone call, even when you have them turned off. There is a way to disconnect a couple sensors which disables the obstacle detection entirely.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 18 Old 10-18-2021, 02:50 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
there are some proud Americans here, but we aren't nationalist, I see quite a few posts from Aussies, Brits, Canadians, etc.
Recently there have also been some posts from owners in the Middle East, I didn't know that these vehicles were even sold there!
scott_0 likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-18-2021, 11:00 PM
TXTrailhawk

So, different model year but my calls do not disconnect when I switch to reverse. When the sensors start beeping it drops the volume of the call a ton, but it's still there. Best of luck finding a solution, it doesn't sound like normal operation.

Cheers

2021 Diamond Black GC Trailhawk
post #7 of 18 Old 10-19-2021, 02:26 PM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Aussie here - joined forum a few years before moving to US and with all the help and info, ordered a new Grand Cherokee without ever driving or sitting in one. Still got it.
Do you have the rear proximity sensor off when hitched up? The beeping sensor might overlay the phone call. You can also buy remote wireless little cameras you could mount on the back of the caravan. Personally, I just open the window and yell at the wife. Does not assist reversing but makes me feel a hell of a lot better.
Homer1 and 11B-33T like this.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-20-2021, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Error7

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I just tried reversing the car while on a hands free call, the call was fine until I reversed close to an obstacle at which point the reversing sensors started emiting their tone, the volume of the phone call went so low that I could hardly hear my wife speaking.

I went into the settings but was unable to disable the sensors completely, just 3 volume settings for loud, medium or low. So I changed to the low volume settings and made another phone call but again, I could hardly hear my wife through the U-Connect.

Before I bought the Jeep I've owned Chrysler Grand Voyager for 17 years, the last one of which had sensors and a back up camera, and never had this problem.

Looks like I'll have to buy a pair of walkie talkies.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-20-2021, 01:15 PM
BubbaATL
2018 WK 

Talking to my wife frequently causes me to have to back up too.
bryanintowson and Error7 like this.

2018 Limited 3.6L with pretty much everything ("almost a Trailhawk")
post #10 of 18 Old 10-20-2021, 01:59 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You should be able to disable the parking assist entirely by pressing the P button. Although some here reported a SW bug that refused to disable. Its one of the hard buttons in the center stack under the HVAC controls

The 2014 North American market owners manual says: "ParkSense can be enabled and disabled with the ParkSense switch.
When the ParkSense switch is pushed to disable the system, the instrument cluster will display the “PARKSENSE OFF” message for approximately five seconds. Refer to “Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information. When the gear selector is moved to REVERSE and the system is disabled, the DID will display the “PARKSENSE OFF” message for as long as the vehicle is in REVERSE. The ParkSense switch LED will be ON when ParkSense is disabled or requires service. The ParkSense switch LED will be OFF when the system is enabled. If the ParkSense switch is pushed, and the system requires service, the ParkSense switch LED will blink momentarily, and then the LED will be ON."

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...ouble-4433653/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...18/index3.html
Error7 likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #11 of 18 Old 10-21-2021, 04:55 PM
bryanintowson

2011 WK 

Glad to have you here! Cheers from Baltimore (Maryland, not Ireland) !
Error7 likes this.

2011 WK2 Laredo, 5.7
1994 ZJ, 5.2 - SOLD
1992 XJ, 4.0 - SOLD
2002 TJ, 4.0 - SOLD
post #12 of 18 Old 10-21-2021, 11:26 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Vehicle safety alerts override the phone call audio.

I notice on my 2016 that I can be chatting clearly on the cellphone and when I push down the lane change to turn left, the blind spot beep overrides the left speaker output volume to tell me there’s a car in my blind spot.

It’s likely a universal mode of operation.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-23-2021, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Error7

Thanks ColdCase, I hadn't even noticed the 'P' button on the dash panel. I can now hear my wife loud and clear when reversing
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep.jpg  
post #14 of 18 Old 10-23-2021, 03:35 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error7 View Post
Thanks ColdCase, I hadn't even noticed the 'P' button on the dash panel. I can now hear my wife loud and clear when reversing
But do you want to
Nice caravan and welcome to the forum - even if you are on the wrong side of the pond - I spent 5 years in Huntington and Ipswich, so I know how to drive on the wrong side of the road...
Error7 likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-23-2021, 05:38 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

That looks like a US sized RV, at least you won't be holding up traffic towing that with your Jeep. I remember being stuck behind caravans being towed by really small cars in the UK. I don't think that would be legal in the US.

Where is the campsite in the photo?
Error7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in